A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I'm happy. Holes are M5.

Bed and z-axis are working very well. Some ringing due to quite aggressive  acceleration  and junction_deviation (Marlin : jerk) settings I suppose.

corexy-clapms.thumb.jpg.64873c46e9da60bc7c346715b2b9f64c.jpg

corexy-clapms.thumb.jpg.64873c46e9da60bc7c346715b2b9f64c.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Btw what's that black think surrounding the heater block? Maybe some kind of heat resistant silicon to isolate from the fan?

that's a mighty fine looking robot for a new build. you must be pleased to finally get it going.

Oh yes, I am.

After two years with 3D printing, my feeling is that sometimes I know what I'm doing.

:O didn't knew that product! Very cool to use it on molds :Othanks @foehnsturm !

It's also pretty easy to make a Sugru Substitute. I am worried that the corn starch might make it flammable, but

• Like 2

@Labern, will do that. The wiring is a mess.

@Skimmy, thanks! No resistors needed? Smoothieboard only does PWM as far as I know. However the frequency is adjustable. But as the corresponding variable is measures in milliseconds, I doubt it will do more than 1 kHz.

No resistors needed, as long as you don't put all 10 caps parallel to the fan ;) Worst that could happen at this point: board resets/freezes cause of the voltage-drop. If you add caps, take the highest frequency possible. Rule of thumb is like "keep it above 100Hz".

May I get a detail-shot of the mounting from one off your 2 Y-carriages? I'm not happy with my design to mount my linear rail, so maybe i can get a tipp from you?

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

It's a printed part, a laser cut aluminum part (will change to steel because of the threaded holes), some bolts and ball bearings. The attachment of the x-rail is questionable. No issues so far but might be too fragile in the long run. And it needs a cable guidance.

corexy-y-carrier-p2.thumb.jpg.d207fc4bd37637a2ce2c90257f9eefe0.jpg

corexy-y-carrier-p1.thumb.jpg.cc7018e7bdd0ec09db5ba8d087ac1c4c.jpg

corexy-y-carrier-cad.thumb.jpg.a551121a60ed503736483299d0b4fe07.jpg

corexy-y-carrier-p2.thumb.jpg.d207fc4bd37637a2ce2c90257f9eefe0.jpg

corexy-y-carrier-p1.thumb.jpg.cc7018e7bdd0ec09db5ba8d087ac1c4c.jpg

corexy-y-carrier-cad.thumb.jpg.a551121a60ed503736483299d0b4fe07.jpg

Edited by Guest

a laser cut aluminum part (will change to steel because of the threaded holes),

If you get it hard anodized (or sometimes called type III or Military spec) it should be OK, it very strong and will save on weight. If you turn up at the anodizers early in the morning they may do your parts for free. you may just have to wait for the next run of hard anodizing.

Its looking great. How much did you pay for the rails. I've found somewhere here in shanghai that sells 20mm rail, circa 700mm, 2 carriages for £25...but not sure if thats a good price.

Any more test prints to show? Hows the dual head system coming along?

As far as I remember I paid approx 50 € per rail incl. sliding block (Misumi)

No more prints atm. Just printing the printhead again on the UM with PLA HT for better temperature resistance.

Dual? Puh - still some way to go. I want to incorporate the tool changing logics (no gcode post-processing anymore, just want to set tool offsets and use T0, T1, the printer then should perform the required movements and priming/wiping routines on its own.) into smoothieware.

... but another short video

• Like 2

@Labern, will do that. The wiring is a mess.

@Skimmy, thanks! No resistors needed? Smoothieboard only does PWM as far as I know. However the frequency is adjustable. But as the corresponding variable is measures in milliseconds, I doubt it will do more than 1 kHz.

No resistors needed, as long as you don't put all 10 caps parallel to the fan ;)Worst that could happen at this point: board resets/freezes cause of the voltage-drop. If you add caps, take the highest frequency possible. Rule of thumb is like "keep it above 100Hz".

@Skimmy, i think it is dangerous to attach capacitors between a pwm output and ground without a resistor or coil in between. In theory this is a short between the internal capacitors and the added capacitors each time the tranistor turns on. The external capacitors will have discharged a bit (or be empty at first turnon) and a very short pulse of high current will flow from internal to externally added capacitor. In practice, the current is limited by resistance of transistor, connectors, inner resistance of capacitor etc. but still the transistor might be used beyond its maximum ratings.

This can work out but might as well end up in a dead transistor. Depends heavily on the electronics board, type of capacitors, transistor, internal capacitors etc.

The royal solution is a properly calculated coil with a free wheeling diode between pwm output and capacitor, which gives a simple buck-converter. A sound but less efficient alternative is a sufficiently large resistor, but this will reduce the maximum output voltage.

thanks for the detail-pics! <3

how do you guide the belt? I see no flanges...

No dedicated guides, the only thing with flanges are the pulleys and there are washers between the idlers in the opposite corners. I tried to level the belt path as good as possible.

... just want to set tool offsets and use T0, T1, the printer then should perform the required movements and priming/wiping routines on its own.) into smoothieware.

Are you going to add gcode macros for it on the firmware?

... finally, a boat.

Quality is fairly good, so it's time to return to the actual topic of this thread ...

• Like 6