A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I think this is one of the most promising and exciting developments yet for UMO and dual extrusion ( I have the experimental kit, and it does work, but not completely 'clean'. Out of interest, what are your main professions? Once more question...i'm thinking of implementing the flex drive solution you built. You changed to direct drive, any reason for that other than the challenge, or was the flex giving bad results?

• Replies 1.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this is one of the most promising and exciting developments yet for UMO and dual extrusion ( I have the experimental kit, and it does work, but not completely 'clean'. Out of interest, what are your main professions? Once more question...i'm thinking of implementing the flex drive solution you built. You changed to direct drive, any reason for that other than the challenge, or was the flex giving bad results?

Thank you!

... http://www.wok-it.de (both in German)

I just asked Mutley3D about his retraction settings. I think mine were too fast, so I had issues now and then. And yes, it's because of the challenge as well. :wink:

BEAUTIFUL DESIGN!!

Can't wait to see where this goes, really cool concept!

hmm... an awesome use of this would be hot swapping print heads with on-board material resevoirs, one is loaded and pre heated while the other is printing. removes all material "feeding" issues, much more consistant pressure could be achieved too I'd guess.

So how is the development going on this great idea. I have just been thinking about it and it's application with Bowden or flex drive. Do you thing the pressures and forces introduced by the Bowden and flex drive tubes would introduce too much play in the system between the magnetic interface? I.e, will the magnets be strong enough to hold it all in place?

Will be able to report on step a) (repeat accuracy) hopefully this week.

I would call that a success :)

You can literally throw the cartridge into the holder. Anyway, it will be picked up reliably.

• Like 1

Impressive!

Wow! :D

I didn't know that part of the UM3 development was moved to Munich... ;)

Congrats on that result!

I didn't know that part of the UM3 development was moved to Munich... ;)

Congrats on that result!

If so, I would expect at least a complimentary UM3 :smile:

Indeed, if you take both topics ("Best of two worlds - Flexdrive" and this one) together, this would be my concept for a - let's say - UM4.

A modular system:

• housing, x/y/z motion system, electronics and a standardized magnetic mount

• up to 4 connectors for feeder/hotend cartridges

• various types of cartridges (perhaps Flex as default) even of other manufacturers, an entirely new market

Future-proof and flexible. In my opinion this FDM segment needs a disruptive move, some outside the box thinking. Don't cling to the plug & play idea too much it'll never be that completely. But instead open up a whole new world of possibilities.

So, if UM won't do it, maybe someone else. :p

So, Mutley3D, :wink:

What would be the smallest possible footprint for a Flex cartridge?

Just the worm gear box with knurled wheel, idler arm and a standard reprap hotend mount.

30 x 30 mm?

YES! This is incredible. I'm blown away by that repeat accuracy, I thought for sure that there would be some disruption to the print. How are you configuring the gcode for this at the moment, manually?

I was about to order a Mutley3D drive (or 2), but will wait on the developments here I think. Do you think some sort of wipe/ooze shield could be built into the tool holder?

So the next step? Try a flex3D carriage?

I think it's fantastic !

Do see a potential problem for this to become um4.. a magnetic feeder/hotend cartridge sounds like makerbot gen5... they probably have tons of patents ???

No need um4, open source UMO upgrades! Ultimaker are

Going to have a flurry of UMO orders soon!

The next step would be a Flex cartridge.

The NEMA8 direct drive is too tricky to adjust right now because of varying stepper shaft lengths and the required adapters.

As I already notice a huge order backlog at my regular businesses, I can't spend much time on this subject the next 4 weeks.

However, I would like to see this project growing.

I can put some files for the magnetic mount parts online. Maybe in two different sizes.

Anyone interested to participate?

Where did you see interchangeable magnetic cartridges for makerbot gen5?

If you can supply the information, I can try to test it. I need to buy the parts to be shipped to China also (magnets etc), and attempt to come up with a compact Flex3D design. It may be beyond my design skills but can give it a go. I'm also using a standard hot end at the moment, but considering an e3d mk6, so may design a carriage around that. I also have no idea about the code part and how to configure it to test a carriage/ dual carriage setup. I can't imagine the additional instructions being too complicated, but compiling it with them in the correct place I assume is problematic.

Indeed I did, its mounted magnetically ...

I have no idea if they have anything patented looking like this, but it's already annoying just thinking about it ...

Just seen this thread for first time - foehnsturm thanks for bringing it to my notice.

Let me digest and consider the options. 30x30 easy - possibly a bit smaller depending on how its attached.

Macua85 - dont be shy :) plus, all the parts in the Flex3Drive will be interchangeable into anything developed here.

Have also been looking at nema8 solutions - got a couple on order from a couple weeks back, waiting on delivery.

Ill be monitoring here closely from now on.

Ok ok, i'll put the order in after CNY, and try and help with the development of this. Is there a discount for buying 2 felxdrive at the same time? Can you PM me if so?

Thanks,

Magnets:

I used these https://www.magnet-shop.com/neodymium-magnets/blockmagnets/blockmagnet-120-x-70-x-20-mm-n44h-nickel-holds-15-kg::53.html

12 x 7 x 2 mm. I'm pretty sure you can use any other similar magnet.

As far as I know China is the main source for Neodym magnets. They should be available in China as well.

Ok I found some in Singapore (I have no idea where to get this from in China, all websites in Chinese), so bought them from there. Not sure which would be the most suitable so I got these:

12x6x1mm 0.74kg holding

12x6x3mm 2.23kg holding

6x6x3mm 1.5kg holding

Couldn't find the same size that you had used, will have to tweak the design. Just need the flex drives now, awaiting word from Mutley3d.