A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

rev3, trading 15 mn of height for 10 mm width

I really like the design,:)

But i only miss a extra fan for cooling for the print

Look up "Crossflow Fan". These fans produce a sheet of air, so you can have one on the side of the printer blowing across the entire top of your print.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look up "Crossflow Fan". These fans produce a sheet of air, so you can have one on the side of the printer blowing across the entire top of your print.

Well the are a kind of big :O

Well the are a kind of big :O

But they don't have to move with the hot end, so weight isn't such a big deal.

I Have found that adding external cooling from anywhere but the top to be detrimental to the print quality.

Read this posts, they are quite interesting

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/3839-the-physics-of-cooling

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/4890-the-crossflow-fan-approach

I Have found that adding external cooling from anywhere but the top to be detrimental to the print quality.

Read this posts, they are quite interesting

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/3839-the-physics-of-cooling

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/4890-the-crossflow-fan-approach

Well maby it works great but it look really weird :p

I have to of two of these laying around

3D-printer-accessories-5015-turbo-Brushless-font-b-DC-b-font-Cooling-Blast-font-b-Blower.jpg

So i would like to use these

Well, everything I printed the last 18 months was with the crossflow fan. On the old forum there were a lot of pictures ...

Uploaded a few again.

aria-woodfil-pla-3.thumb.jpg.f29e759c272da55498fabea92a15445e.jpg

beachbeauty2.thumb.jpg.2b4890cef7bdd7727c5b72fc22a5efbc.jpg

aria-woodfil-pla-3.thumb.jpg.f29e759c272da55498fabea92a15445e.jpg

beachbeauty2.thumb.jpg.2b4890cef7bdd7727c5b72fc22a5efbc.jpg

• Like 3

Well, everything I printed the last 18 months was with the crossflow fan. On the old forum there were a lot of pictures ...

Uploaded a few again.

Well the look really nice but how that looks a crossflow fan, and is this better than a normale fan?

A short extrusion speed test. Right now the stepper is not the limiting factor.

• Like 4

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Foehnsturm, how does this system compare to the Flex3drive for printing nijaflex or other flexible filaments? What are the speed differences? Have you found that the limiting factor is the cooling of the extruded filament for flexible materials?  I am trying to decide if I want to adapt the Flex3drive to the UM2 or go to the direct feeder to extruder route that you seem to have chosen for printing flexible filaments as fast as possible.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Uploaded a few again.

Well the look really nice but how that looks a crossflow fan, and is this better than a normale fan?

1) The print head is lighter, because there isn't a fan on it.

2) The print head is smaller, because there isn't a fan on it.

3) Maybe this is just me, but I found my overhangs with the crossflow fan were substantially better than the results I was getting with the UMO stock fan and cowl. I think it just provides a lot better cooling of the layer, as it is blowing more air over a larger area.

BTW,

I have also started using a crossflow fan for cooling the stepper motor on my Nema 8 Direct Drive extruder. Works like a charm.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

3) Maybe this is just me, but I found my overhangs with the crossflow fan were substantially better than the results I was getting with the UMO stock fan and cowl. I think it just provides a lot better cooling of the layer, as it is blowing more air over a larger area.

BTW,

I have also started using a crossflow fan for cooling the stepper motor on my Nema 8 Direct Drive extruder. Works like a charm.

Oke so the are worth it but the are really expensive and i can`t find the in the right size. Or are we not on the same page?!

A short extrusion speed test. Right now the stepper is not the limiting factor.

Definitely interested in what your thoughts are on the E3D lite6. I really like mine, but I have a feeling that it's limiting my speed on my DIY Ultimaker2. At 50mm/s at 0.1 layer height I'm fine (PLA @215C), but 50mm/s at 0.2 things just start looking like poop due to massive under extrusion. I know part of it is this filament, as it doesn't respond much to increases in temp, even when I tried all the way up to 235C, but I also know E3D has stated that it has a shorter melt zone then a full V6. I know my feeder isn't the issue, because I'm not getting any slipping and there is a large amount of back pressure behind the nozzle. I just don't think my hotend can keep up.

Well, after some reading about E3D hotends I had the "feeling" that the 1.75 mm types generally perform better / show less issues. I've got a 1.75 mm Lite6. Heat transfer from the surface to the core of the filament takes some time. My impression is, that the heat transfer advantage of a small diameter overcompensates the need for faster feeding.

• Like 1

Foehnsturm, how does this system compare to the Flex3drive for printing nijaflex or other flexible filaments? What are the speed differences? Have you found that the limiting factor is the cooling of the extruded filament for flexible materials?  I am trying to decide if I want to adapt the Flex3drive to the UM2 or go to the direct feeder to extruder route that you seem to have chosen for printing flexible filaments as fast as possible.

As the corexy is quite a big project I still have to do a first print with flexible filament with the new feeder. On the UMO, both, the FlexDrive and the worm gear direct drive, performed very well with flexible filament. In both cases the filament path can be as short as possible, Flex will offer more power (which won't be needed for flexible filaments), direct drive will give slightly better extrusion control and retractions I think.

Oke so the are worth it but the are really expensive and i can`t find the in the right size. Or are we not on the same page?!

There are definitely cheaper (chinese - ebay or something) alternatives, but this is a mighty fine series of crossflow fans:

ebm-papst "QG030". Mouser has some of them, and they will ship for free above 65 Euros.

Note however that these fans can't be PWM controlled, but they need to be regulated. You could either look for even more expensive PWM controllable fans, or you'll have to make a custom regulator for the fan (I'll show how to do t hat soon. Already got my new pulse generator for testing).

• Like 1

Hey foehnstrum , do you have some cad for me, please?? i would realy like to use them.

Please have a look at: foehnsturm.com/3dp/pancakefeeder.stp

Don't want to put it on Youmagine right now because I haven't any time left for some documentation.

Please have a look at: foehnsturm.com/3dp/pancakefeeder.stp

Don't want to put it on Youmagine right now because I haven't any time left for some documentation.

is it just me, or do i get a texts file? I certainly do something wrong here

uploaded a pancakefeeder.stp.zip.

Copying the text file content and saving it to a .stp file should work as well. But I'm no expert in transferring CAD files ...

uploaded a pancakefeeder.stp.zip.

Copying the text file content and saving it to a .stp file should work as well. But I'm no expert in transferring CAD files ...

thank you got it al working now, i will keep you updated!!

Only the scale is not the right size anymore, the holes for the m3 are like 40 mm big:P

Edited by Guest

BTW,

I got some used ones off of ebay.

Only the scale is not the right size anymore, the holes for the m3 are like 40 mm big:P

usually when I have scale issues between various programs it's eather a factor 10 or the mm <> inch factor....

Had some issues with the connected GLCD display, presumably wire cross talking. Confused screens and several mid print aborts. The only solution so far is to disconnect the display. Running a torture test now to see if this helps. Yoda needs a buddy.

no-more-yoda-2.thumb.jpg.1557ac468116b8e392439c94c88b1b25.jpg

no-more-yoda-2.thumb.jpg.1557ac468116b8e392439c94c88b1b25.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1