A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Man, I am totally drooling over this dual head setup! I am willing to throw money at anyone that makes this a buyable product/upgrade. I can haz upgradez? :D

I know it takes time to make that kind of thing happen, but the wait is killing me! Then again, I do not want a rushed/half-baked product either. Damn it, I need patience ... or better yet, a time machine! :p

Anyway, I am super impressed! Great Job @foehnsturm! You are a 3D printing rock star! :D

• Like 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@krys, Thank you!

Unfortunately there will be no opportunity to throw your money at me or anyone else ;)

Instead, you will have to get hold of a 2nd drive train (feeder + hotend, like the UM2+ upgrade kit), print a few parts, follow detailed instructions on how to assemble them and download a customized firmware.

So, not the all-in package, but way cheaper and doable for any average UM2 or UM2+ user.

• Like 1

@krys, Thank you!

Unfortunately there will be no opportunity to throw your money at me or anyone else ;)

Instead, you will have to get hold of a 2nd drive train (feeder + hotend, like the UM2+ upgrade kit), print a few parts, follow detailed instructions on how to assemble them and download a customized firmware.

So, not the all-in package, but way cheaper and doable for any average UM2 or UM2+ user.

I see. Well, you are sitting on a gold mine, I believe. :) Maybe Ultimaker can make and sell an experimental kit for you or something.

Anyway, I did do the UM2+ upgrade, so I have all the old parts laying around anyway. And I already use TinkerGnome's firmware, so.... Hmm... This seems doable. Now you have the old hamster running in my head! :) I will have to cue this up after my backlog of prints and solving polycarbonate adhesion, but I think I am going to try this.

One question then: If I make the modification, but want to print non-dual, normal prints. Are there any extra difficulties / negative complications / extra settings to make that work? Or is it just proceed as normal?

I guess I am going to have to re-read this whole topic too. :)

Anyway, thanks for the great design and thanks for sharing! :D

Single extrusion will just work as usual. This dual approach doesn't require any modifications to be made to the standard single extrusion setup. That's really one of the most charming features.

If you leave the 2nd printhead and its docking station in place you'll loose about 25 mm printing space in y direction. But it's a click on/off mount, so you can easily remove it and use the full printing area.

You don't have to read this entire topic. There will be detailed explanations, a BOM and all required files available here in the near future.

Mixing an old UM2 feeder and a 2+ feeder is not the easiest way but possible. As far as I know this requires gcode with relative e values and resetting steps per e with every tool change. Tinkergnome should know more about it.

• Like 2

Single extrusion will just work as usual. This dual approach doesn't  require any modifications to be made to the standard single extrusion setup. That's really one of the most charming features.

If you leave the 2nd printhead and its docking station in place you'll loose about 25 mm printing space in y direction. But it's a click on/off mount, so you can easily remove it and use the full printing area.

You don't have to read this entire topic. There will be  detailed explanations, a BOM and all required files available here in the near future.  

Mixing an old UM2 feeder and a 2+ feeder is not the easiest way but possible. As far as I know this requires gcode with relative e values and resetting steps per e with every tool change. Tinkergnome should know more about it.

Excellent! Very nice!

So, mixing old and new = harder but cheaper. Using new and new means money but easier. Well, I am not afraid of hard. But I also really like the new feeder from the + kit. So if I can get the parts, I might go that way. Not sure I want to buy a whole other upgrade kit though. It is kind of expensive! :) Then again having a second Olsson block would be good too. ... I guess I will shop for parts and weigh my options.

If explanations and a BOM are coming, then I will wait for those. I have other things to keep me occupied for now.

Thanks very much for the feedback! :D

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I have printed with 2 different feeders, it is possible;)!

But one has to Simplify3D or other slicer with custom tool change script use.

With Cura is unfortunately not possible, so I have now bought 2 Bondtech feeders!

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

You can just use the old head components, and only add a new + feeder, which should be available as a preassembled loose part from UM distributors now (or at least in the very near future).

They may not actively advertise it on there website, so ask them....

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

You can just use the old head components, and only add a new + feeder, which should be available as a preassembled loose part from UM distributors now (or at least in the very near future).

They may not actively advertise it on there website, so ask them....

I see, cool! I'll go bug @Valcrow when the time comes. :D

Thanks very much!

It's been some time since my last post here ;)

Finally, Ultimaker announced a new printer which most likely will feature more than one extruder.

So, just to fuel up the excitement some prints made with the UM2 tool changer add-on which ofc should be doable with the new Ultimaker as well.

IMG_0898.thumb.JPG.d12c7996c910b2e0e0a147b663f0de7f.JPG

... the tool changer project will be continued in a few weeks

(btw, I don't work for Ultimaker product development)

IMG_0898.thumb.JPG.d12c7996c910b2e0e0a147b663f0de7f.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

So, just to fuel up the excitement some prints made with the UM2 tool changer add-on which ofc should be doable with the new Ultimaker as well :p

Very nice!

Let's see... what conclusions can we make from the ratio of toys and useful parts? :)

BTW:

I like the octopus, do you have a link to the model at hand?

Exactly - i knew, i have seen it before...

BTW:

You're

... :)

sanladerer_foehnsturm.thumb.PNG.8f0937f33b959dd770d265dc79b91f18.PNG

sanladerer_foehnsturm.thumb.PNG.8f0937f33b959dd770d265dc79b91f18.PNG

Edited by Guest

BTW:

You're

... :)

I've seen that .. and added a few words to the last posting ...

• Like 1

PLA with PVA support

Sliced with Cura, same settings as for UM3

P1100746.thumb.JPG.2e83635cea4fac6174d438c17faf37b6.JPG

P1100746.thumb.JPG.2e83635cea4fac6174d438c17faf37b6.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

This is usually where the fun - or frustration - starts, PVA on top of PLA.

Really like the way Cura 2.3 generates the PVA support.

P1100758.thumb.JPG.0a4e52ae78aafd0952f84c32b7b6d35e.JPG

Indeed rooftops in cura are far better than s3d solid support. On S3D the 'rooftop' leaves a weird mark on big overhangs. Not biggie bit Cura does it better (don't quote me on that @nallath :D !)

Edited by Guest

Not biggie bit Cura does it better (don't quote me on that @nallath :D!)

Whoops. Already did ;)

• Like 3

The more I was surprised how well PVA behaves on Nylon...

Really like the design of your solution Foehnsturm. Is there a place where we are able to download your wip? Would love to give it a closer look and a try to implement it myself.

Finished print

P1100763.thumb.JPG.5f3024e80d1e6207a64e5dea82deb2aa.JPG

after 10 hrs in the water bucket

P1100766.thumb.JPG.ca7a236ad42bf0fa05333e9083707f90.JPG

P1100767.thumb.JPG.5d2dc9ea7d04e48ee2d02b17aa43bf64.JPG

• Like 6

Does this printed with head toolchanger? The pic above is like dual nozzle printing...

Finished print

after 10 hrs in the water bucket

Toolchanger print. Extruder 1 prints with the standard print head (like single extrusion), extruder 2 picks up the additional head.

Like the others said, you make a great job foehnsturm! Be sure if you release such an addons for the ultimaker 2+ I'll buy it. That is awesome!!