A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Like the others said, you make a great job foehnsturm! Be sure if you release such an addons for the ultimaker 2+ I'll buy it. That is awesome!!

Absolutly

The latest print, PLA and PVA

More pictures can be found here: 3D prints

Wow that looks nice, keep up the good work.

cylh2.thumb.jpg.068a51840b50ddc050a479e2c8539df2.jpg

Like the others said, you make a great job foehnsturm! Be sure if you release such an addons for the ultimaker 2+ I'll buy it. That is awesome!!

Absolutly

Thank you!

Beta testing should start in November. If interested please send a PM.

• Like 1

A UMO version could have some technical problems if it uses the default 40W heaters, so it could be difficult to use the heated bed (for umo+ ofc, umo uses a secondary psu for the bed with the upgrade that ultimaker discontinued). 20W heaters for 6mm do exist in china (used some with not much success). That's why for the old magnetic changer I did based on your designs I had to get a 280W PSU from meanwell. Ofc one could just turn off the second heaters and leave it cooling, but that would mean a lot of wait time between changes.

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

did you change your original power supply foehnsturm? do you have enough power for 2 heaters + heat bed ? or do you hot the bed and cut it when the print starts?

Edited by Guest

Power management is only needed for UMO+. An UMO with a HBK upgrade should have more than enough power with both PSU together.

Original PSU, the firmware does some smart power management automatically in the way you mentioned.

Actually it's not _that_ smart, but pretty simple. It just benefits from the fact that not all heaters are running on full power all the time. The firmware cannot measure the momentary current, but is able to add up (and limit) the pwm output to the heaters.

Tinkergnome made it possible to use the 35W (?) UM2+ heaters together with the bed.  Perhaps there would be a similar solution for UMOs

What if us UMO (not +) guys did an upgrade to the latest print head (UM2+) using the steps Neo laid out?

• Like 1

Count me in as another interested party for a potential UMO+ upgrade kit.

We have a Stratasys uPrint SE Plus at work, and the only advantage it has over my UMO+ is that it can do dissolvable support material. Otherwise my UMO+ is faster, smaller, prints with much higher resolution, has a larger build area, prints with a multitude of different materials (TPE, Nylon, WoodFill, etc.)...the list goes on. Probably need to consider a UM3 for work next time.

But for my home UMO+, if I could print support material, or a second model material for that matter, I would have a fully capable system that would fit my (low) budget.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

@foehnsturm

What about a Doodle poll to the check the interest. I am about 110% sure, that there would be lots of people with an UMO(+) who would be interested. Happy to create one if you do not mind.

Hi @greengecko,

There are at least 3 guys who asked about a UMO version. So maybe yes  ...

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Hi @greengecko,

There are at least 3 guys who asked about a UMO version. So maybe yes  ...

Would like to add dual extrusion head changer to my UMO...

@greengecko, I don't mind at all, please go ahead.

As I expect many UMOs out there already being hacked in some way, it's a good idea to collect the interested people and check if there's a common starting point and objective.

An UMO tool changer project will be kind of a side project as I have to focus on the UM2 to provide an almost product-like user experience for this upgrade.

I can share the UM2 files but you would have to modify some of the parts on your own.

@ foehnsturm

Do you have some sort of step-by-step guide to this modification? I'm considering to convert one of our two UM2+'s with your dual head technique, but I'm a little bit confused by the mass of information in this thread, so it's difficult for me to filter out the important stuff ;-)

Edited by Guest

It's not your job to filter out the important stuff. This thread has a long history and only the recent stuff addresses the UM2.

There will be a fresh start with all relevant and up-to-date information in a few weeks.

• Like 3

That's great! Looking forward to that :)

@foehnsturm,

Perhaps a new topic van be useful when you start recruiting for beta /feedback / moving towards commercial product

I agree with your focus on um2(+) as that is what you working with. Users with such a printer want a reliable kit to upgrade. UMO users can come later and can do with more hacking, they are used to it. I'd offer help on UMO, but I think there're already more committed people here ;)

Hi foehnsturm et al.

below is the doodle link for the poll to identify the interest in the different possible upgrades.

http://doodle.com/poll/nmbwek5bihi5kdrg

I included all four possible upgrades UMO, UMO+, UM2, UM2+ so all users can vote for their interest. I am fully aware that this might be difficult (e.g. not sure if UM2 is easy to upgrade).

I kept is simple to these four choices. (not asking about bed upgrades, nozzles etc.)

Please let me know if you think that is fine. Happy to change it in case I missed something.

@greengecko, I don't mind at all, please go ahead.

As I expect many UMOs out there already being hacked in some way, it's a good idea to collect the interested people and check if there's a common starting point and objective.  

An UMO tool changer project will be kind of a side project as I have to focus on the UM2 to provide an almost product-like user experience for this upgrade.

I can share the UM2 files but you would have to modify some of the parts on your own.

Just being self-fish but could you add umo+ with um2 hotend =)

• Like 2

Just being self-fish but could you add umo+ with um2 hotend =)

It's not so selfish... ;)

• Like 1