A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

@sandervg ; I know there is a spare parts list, could you just share this list? that way, people can just give the spare part number to their reseller..

It's on github..... the BOM.

Resellers also have a spare part list in PDF with photo's of all parts, that's indeed a bit easier.

The main issue is there is no part number (afaik) for just the pre-assembled feeder.

Lucky me :):)

I bought a dual extruder upgrade for my UMO a couple of years ago and never installed it, so all the parts should be there... (used some items for spare, always handy to have them around)

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Resellers also have a spare part list in PDF with photo's of all parts, that's indeed a bit easier.

The main issue is there is no part number (afaik)  for just the pre-assembled feeder.

I belive it is #9472, Feeder UM2+UM2xtd+ Assembly (just checked the UM2+ photobook)

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I understand up until now it was kinda in between whether partners sold the feeder or not. But from December you should be able to get it from every partner of us.

In case you don't have any parts lying around yet, it would make sense to buy a full extrusion upgrade (if you already have an ultimaker 2+). You need like literally all parts in there, except the housing of the printhead which will be replaced by some 3D printed parts.

Edited by Guest

Yes, we need that excluding:

- housing of head

- filament holder (when using one for two rolls like Um3)

- mounting tools

- extra rods

- lubricant

- plate clamps

- + sticker

But I am afraid that might not lower the price much from the 500 Euros....

After researching for some 30mins I don't feel like chasing all the parts individually.

Just ordered the UM2+ upgrade kit through Ebay for 440 Euros.

@sandervg ; I know there is a spare parts list, could you just share this list? that way, people can just give the spare part number to their reseller..

It's on github..... the BOM.

The main issue is there is no part number (afaik)  for just the pre-assembled feeder.

i disagree.

the BOM is the bill of material. that is only a list of "hey you need al this stuff".

a spare parts list is a list that shows pictures of the stuff you need and has a set of stuff, together with the order number that Ultimaker uses as well.

so you need a complete feeder? there is a spare part for that! which includes a number that you give your reseller, and they can order it directly using that number. it would include all the seperate components that make up the feeder :)

i disagree.

the BOM is the bill of material. that is only a list of "hey you need al this stuff".

not really, on github there's also per part a pdf with a drawing of it, and the 3d model to easily find the partnumber. I agree it would be nice if the "photobook" would also be published on Github.

Don't you actually need the UM3 mirrored feeder?

Nope, Tinkergnome just designed a mounting bracket for the standard UM2+ feeder :)

The mirrored UM3 feeder would be nice if mounted like on the UM3. But most people won't drill big holes into the Dibond back panel I suppose.

The UM3 feeder assemblies are part nr 9682 (left) and 9685 (right), and the feeder motor assembly are part nr 9470, i dont know when they are going to be available to buy tough. @SandervG might know?

On a non-plus UM2 it would be possible to mount them like on the UM3 without drilling since the second feeder holes are still in the backplate.

Drilling a motor mounting hole is actually pretty simple if you use a 22mm holesaw like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351222612068, but i understand if people are reluctant to drill holes in their UM2+ :p

That's cool. I have an old UM2 upgraded to a plus so I have the feeder holes. So a mirrored feeder would be perfect.

Drilling the big feeder hole in the UM is quite easy, using a "HSS step drill":

813292_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

Which is also rounding the corner a little bit.

Nope, Tinkergnome just designed a mounting bracket for the standard UM2+ feeder :)

The mirrored UM3 feeder would be nice if mounted like on the UM3. But most people won't drill big holes into the Dibond back panel I suppose.

The one for the rail system?

He actually used Ultiarjan's rail system first. Last week we decided it would be nice to have something smaller (faster to print). So yes, you can use the rail system as well.

The UM3 feeder assemblies are part nr 9682 (left) and 9685 (right), and the feeder motor assembly are part nr 9470, i dont know when they are going to be available to buy tough. @SandervG might know?

On a non-plus UM2 it would be possible to mount them like on the UM3 without drilling since the second feeder holes are still in the backplate.

Drilling a motor mounting hole is actually pretty simple if you use a 22mm holesaw like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351222612068, but i understand if people are reluctant to drill holes in their UM2+ :p

I understood they should commonly be available from December through our partners. I'll send you a DM.

Checked with iGo3D on the price of the individual replacement parts (Upgrade Kit minus what's not needed), then it's 10% more expensive than the Upgrade Kit. And even if "many" are bought by a group of Dual Extruder enthusiasts they can't give a better price because they do not have a high margin on it (already expensive from UM). They say.

Disappointing.

Edited by Guest

He actually used Ultiarjan's rail system first. Last week we decided it would be nice to have something smaller (faster to print). So yes, you can use the rail system as well.

Is that alternative model by Tingergnome already publicly available?

Checked with iGo3D on the price of the individual replacement parts (Upgrade Kit minus what's not needed), then it's 10% more expensive than the Upgrade Kit. And even if "many" are bought by a group of Dual Extruder enthusiasts they can't give a better price because they do not have a high margin on it (already expensive from UM). They say.

Disappointing.

It makes sense that a grouped / combined selection of parts is cheaper than buying everything individually, no? Same goes for buying in bulk or basically any 'kit' instead of all parts from that kit individually.

It is way more work for a reseller to collect all parts, pack them etc while this prepared and pre-packed product lies just next to him. When the Extrusion upgrade just was released, a few calculations were made (here on the forums) and the price really is not that bad for all the parts that are included.

In the end, it all comes down to, how badly do you want to participate in this project and is it worth the investment. That is something only you can answer. (and remember, it is beta. Not a finished community project. Which is also different from an official product. Just making sure this is clear.)

- To answer your next question, I don't think Tinkergnome's model is available yet, it is still being tested.

Edited by Guest

In the end, it all comes down to, how badly do you want to participate in this project (and remember, it is beta. Not a finished community project. Which is also different from an official product. Just making sure this is clear.) and is it worth the investment. That is something only you can answer.

All that makes sense. Was worth a try to get a better price for us for the kit. :-)

I want to try dual extrusion very badly :-) That's why I just went ahead and bought the Upgrade Kit on eBay yesterday. It's on it's way and should arrive Wed/Thu.

And yes, ready to try something "just-past-beta", the results of foehnsturm and others look very impressive, that's convincing that this is a good solution. And finally if I have the parts for a 2nd feeder/head/etc here I can try other solutions as well with limited effort, like the water cooling one.

Sounds like you have big plans, interesting! I have also seen the results and they indeed look promising. Foehnsturm is a pretty smart guy ;)

I read you got it from ebay. Was it from an official reseller? You are of course free to buy where ever you prefer, but I just checked and didn't see one listed after a quick search. (I mean, even on of our moderators is a true China-fan, right @Neotko?;))

Just make sure that if it is not an official product, the specs are somewhat close to what they should be.

• Like 1

I read you got it from ebay. Was it from an official reseller? You are of course free to buy where ever you prefer, but I just checked and didn't see one listed after a quick search. (I mean, even on of our moderators is a true China-fan, right @Neotko?;))

It's the official kit from an individual who is obviously selling his UM stuff.

Just make sure that if it is not an official product, the specs are somewhat close to what they should be.

That's the reason why I prefer the original parts. Collecting them from China is lots of effort and "variable" quality. I don't want to invest my time there, rather to implement the dual extrusion mod.

Edited by Guest

I'd be carful about buying of Ebay,,, Reading all the Hoo Harr about feeders, Mirrored ect will the Bondtech's still work??