A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

That's kinda funny. My impression is that @swordriff 3dsolex 0.4 mm works better for PVA than a standard nozzle. Most likely the internal, two-channel geometry helps to prevent agglomeration of burnt PVA in some way.

0.4 2 channel ?? think thats only with the bigger sizes....

I'm using his 'old' jet nozzles, think they are also smoother inside, not with the little edge on the inside like on the AA.

• Replies 1.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And 'nozzle wise' I guess a 3Dsolex Jet nozzle has more resemblance with a BB core than f.e. an E3D nozzle.

That's kinda funny. My impression is that @swordriff 3dsolex 0.4 mm works better for PVA than a standard nozzle. Most likely the internal, two-channel geometry helps to prevent agglomeration of burnt PVA in some way.

You guys lost me a bit there. Me = nozzle neophyte. :)

I get that the 3DSolex nozzles are different than E3D ones. But is that what the UM2(+)/Upgrade Kit ships with as stock? Or are the JET RSB nozzles further different than what Ultimaker ships, even though they look the same? (I get that the Matchless stuff is a whole different thing.)

I guess I also wonder that's the difference between the UM3 AA & BB cores and how do they map on to my UM2/Olson Block brain.

This is a bit off topic, but if I want good PVA capability, I would like to have a clear(er) understanding. Plus a quick forum search did not turn up any nice descriptions that I could find easily.

Would you great and powerful UM wizards care to share your wisdom? :p

Thanks very much.

I guess @foehnsturm means the matchless race nozzle which has two channels for 0.4mm or larger.

Might be a nice thing to use standard (rsb jet) nozzles for the main print material and a matchless for the pva.

• Like 1

Hi! Really interesting thread! The 0.40 Matchless are also twin bore, so you can print cooler. without this core heating system, the nozzle is (always, unless you print very slowly, but THEN there is even more time for the moist to evaporate from the PVA.. I guess) -- trying to print out the "middle" of the filament.. which can not be at edge temperature.. So you have to examplewise print at 220 to get the middle up to 200. or what do I know.

The Matchless will heat the core while you are printing, and you guys can find out of you can print at 5-10-or 20 degrees lower temperature... it has some other advantages, and theoretically at least the hangup that plastic at 200 not sticks so well to itself.. bonding issue?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The beta testers are doing a great job! The dock and printhead have been enhanced so the the parked head will securely stay in place even in worst conditions like using old heavily curled filament. And there will be a printhead expansion board for most easy wiring, containing additional fan drivers for the second print head which can be controlled separately then.

On the software / firmware side there's a little more work to do. Ultimaker is very busy working on Cura and we want to make the best possible integration package for the tool changer. But there are still quite a few things changing in Cura from one release to the next. So we want to have everything working with upcoming Cura 2.4 and then invite more people to join.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

:) saw it in the video but didn't find any pictures or files.

If I find the time I should change it to a folding bellows and work on the valves.

P1110765.thumb.JPG.7a2e6fe9d6ebbb34225aeb9707b3070c.JPG

P1110765.thumb.JPG.7a2e6fe9d6ebbb34225aeb9707b3070c.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

BronzeRed.thumb.png.21fcf8c66819bef151c32c31299eda9e.png

bronzefill (using the Olsson ruby) + red pla, the magnetic changer is super reliable.

BronzeRed.thumb.png.21fcf8c66819bef151c32c31299eda9e.png

• Like 2

Happy birthday btw. Arjan :)

• Like 1

Hi,

maybe i miss a thread but are there any news regarding this upgrade?

thanks in advance.

Bernd

There are some users involved in testing this modification to determine if it could be fit for a larger scale use :)@foehnsturm knows best, chances are that there will be an update anytime soon. If you quickly read over the last 2 pages of this thread I think there are a couple of mentions of this project.

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

We just started finishing the beta for public release.

spiderman1.thumb.jpg.3a73fbaf9fa9a7fb3a653874c92d8b0a.jpg

spiderman2.thumb.jpg.a0a96163b7001db148c38c54afb9e2fb.jpg

spiderman1.thumb.jpg.3a73fbaf9fa9a7fb3a653874c92d8b0a.jpg

spiderman2.thumb.jpg.a0a96163b7001db148c38c54afb9e2fb.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

I am hoping to maybe add these developments on my UMO. I know there are a number of hurdles yet to be crossed.

Currently I am rebuilding the print bed with an UM2 style construction + my home made heated bed. Related to this, I would like to know the relative position of the tool changer nozzle center to the gantry X/Y shafts. I'd like to know so that I can have the HBP centered properly to the tool changer nozzle's range of motion (and as well aligned to my currently installed nozzle)

XYoffset.JPG.561481935244a8fc5fa5aca9d93e3954.JPG

Would someone direct me to a recent video of the changer in action?

Thanks

XYoffset.JPG.561481935244a8fc5fa5aca9d93e3954.JPG

I guess I overlooked that there are actually two nozzle centers to be considered... Can someone close to the project help me with both positions?

Thanks again!

Would someone direct me to a recent video of the changer in action?

Thanks

This is not exactly what the final release will look like but it shows the principle.

Edited by Guest

I guess I overlooked that there are actually two nozzle centers to be considered...  Can someone close to the project help me with both positions?

Thanks again!

Yeah, to make the upgrade as simple as possible we don't alter the standard print head but just pick up the other one. So there is a x offset like in the UM3 and some y offset as well. One of the benefits of this approach is that single extrusion mode will remain exactly as before.

Edited by Guest

Many thanks for your contributions Foehnsturm. From the video and your comments, I would want to shift the bed in the -Y direction to maximize build space.

I am assuming if I rearrange my hot end carriage, but keep it compatible with the carriage mounted 'hook' I could program whatever X/Y offset results from my build to work with the changer.

At this point, I have a custom hotend, HBP. Soon an upgraded build platform and improved X/Y carriage block. I'm trying to take everything I can into consideration for future flexibility...

Open RC wheel by Daniel Norée.

PLA and FlexiFil (shore 45D)

[print=11891][/print]

tire1.thumb.jpg.5cd4059f3ab6d5329e0ab1d1e17da2ec.jpg

tire1.thumb.jpg.5cd4059f3ab6d5329e0ab1d1e17da2ec.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

I look forward to converting my UM2 with your design. And breathing more life into my UM2

• Like 2

I look forward to converting my UM2 with your design. And breathing more life into my UM2

me too !!!!

got some new ruby nozzles to play with first

Me as well.  I am anxious to be able to print like these videos and images. (mainly with soluble support structures) I am not as tech savvy as some, so I am hoping for a relatively painless install. :p And a price point that won't be too painful.

Edited by Guest