A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I was gonna point you exactly there. And that's why I bough UMO+ and a GS280A24 powersupply, to have spare watts for dual and upgrades. But I suppose umo uses a different conector than the umo+/um2 board. Can't wait to get my hands on your stls. I want to use the stock extruders Since I have 4 (two mounted and two spares).

• Replies 1.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a great project. Congrats on that new milestone. :D

But: It somehow reminds me of the story of the Hubble space telescope. It was built because astronomers were convinced at that time that earthbound astronomy has come to its limits due to the atmosphere and only space telescope would be built from that time on.

As history shows they were wrong. Today we have better earthbound telescopes than the HST.

To come back to this wonderful project (please don't get me wrong, I really like it): Having two independent extruder is certainly a very clever solution for various collison and oozing issues. However, as soon as someone manages to build a hotend without oozing while being idle, the whole exchanging mechanism becomes obsolete.

To go one step further: FFF/FDM itself might become obsolete. Just think about recent developments as the CLIP technology and new multijet 3D printers.

But let's enjoy the toolchanging dual extrusion for the time being. And hopefully the UM R&D people will finally get a proper dual extrusion print into their hands (as they still claim not having seen a really proper one so far... ;) )

and don't forget that for many people besides any potential end result the tinkering itself is the reward ;)

I think this is my final iteration of this now. I'm hoping I got the offsets right for the bearings. I decided to go with this design as it means pretty much the whole bed area is useable with both of the nozzles (stored in the back right and left of the machine). I've not finished that bit yet, but will work on it when i've tested this part.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/e3d-v6-modular-print-system-magnetic

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-robot-remix-pack

Looks like no one actually printed it yet :wink:

5cm tall, 3 hrs printing time, 400 extruder changes, no wipe tower, no oozing shield etc.

y offset for second extruder still off by some 0.1 mm.

First dual extrusion print ever without a failing PSU (which embarrassingly enough was my fault :oops: )

gallery_5589_458_299346.jpg

gallery_5589_458_433866.jpg

Impressive print. I want your printer now :D oh.. I have it! Any little chance of someone doing adjustments so the stock stuff could be used with your awesome mod?

Great results. How long did the gcode take to edit?

Very nice.

I really need to get off my rear and build one of those direct drive extruders. Retractions are giving me such a hard time on my current project. Especially with Gizmo Dorks dark grey PLA. For some reason it is much more rubbery than their clear filament.

I also wish that the person that made those would have designed them so each color could be printed standing by itself. Would just be cool to have them apart and together. Might make a good magic prop.

Wow. I think that is the best dual print I've seen from a consumer printer!

Are both materials PLA?

Congrats. Are there any phone calls from Ultimaker yet? It would be super awesome to get a bom together.

You solved a very hard problem very elegantly. Any videos?

gcode editing is two simple search & replace (exclude the first few lines with the first T0 command):

T0

->

M104 T1 S206 // lower temp of unused extruder

M104 T0 S214 // rise temp of active extruder

G0 F19000 X102 Y5 // extruder change movement pattern

G0 F7000 X143 Y5

G0 F19000 X143 Y165

G0 F7000 X102 Y165

T0

vice versa for T1

is to prevent from substituting any T0 or T1 within another gcode command.

Both materials are PLA. A PLA / FlexiFil print is one of the next things to try.

something for kickstarter? but i also would be happy to get a bom and donate somehow ;)

I' love to bring this to the market.

However, there are too many possible variants at the moment:

UMO, UM+, UM2, UM-like printers

stock hotend, Merlin, E3D, ...

direct drive (NEMA8), flexdrive (bowden I'd exclude from the list)

Evaluating these alternatives is essential if you want to narrow down the list. But this is beyond my time and budget as a one-man-show. So we need some sort of cooperation to bring this forward.

Second print, 0.1 mm layer which is already close to the minimum for dual extrusion I'd say as nozzle height adjustment has to be very precise. I'd really see this implemented to have some clearance for the nozzle at any time: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/10337-dual-extrusion-turn-off-alternating-sequence/?p=100101

Regarding speed: Compare this time for changing extruders with the commonplace nozzle switching + priming or wipe tower procedure :wink:

how do you manage the oozing issue?

What i wonder (and i think it shows on the video, maybe i'm wrong).

The head for white is taken, it prints the whole layer in white, parks it.

The head for red is taken and it prints the whole layer in red

Am i correct?

Doesn't it colide with the current layer printed in the other color?

You are correct. That's the standard sequence, generated by Cura.

It means that the first layer with the new extruder will be printed at the same z-height as with the previous extruder. Then it does a z-move and prints the next layer with the same extruder. That's why adjustment of the nozzles is that important.

But I would like to test a sequence with twice as much extruder changes but a z-move of layer-height / 2 between every "extruder-layer" (the post I'm referring to).

Of course this is only of interest with my setup. It doesn't make much sense if you're carrying both nozzles around all the time. So I'm the first one to ask for it.

I tried to fight the oozing with additional cooling in the parking position. But the PID is a little overcharged with this.

I ordered some tiny spring steel strips. The nozzle will be pushed onto such a strip when parked, the strip will flex a little and hopefully block the nozzle.

Ideally it should even do a park when the layer you are printing needs to be in other color but that seems like a thing that will do a crazy amounts of parks.

Or maybe do a z-hop when going over printed layers (i have no idea if this is even possible).

z hop is triggered at every retraction so it should trigger it if it's properly setup.

If you cap the nozzle you will risk cooking the filament. Woodfill, flexible filaments and other metal pla will likely clog the nozzle.

But z hop is not always a solution. With parts like the camouflage Ultibot the problem with the z hop is speed. The print would take endlessly unless it's a deltabot.

I don't think blocking the nozzle for a short time is that risky. If one extruder pauses more then a few minutes then yes. But future slicers will have to detect this case because you'll have to do something then (lower temp ...) anyway.

PLA with FlexiFil works well. Simple flexible button:

gallery_5589_458_254668.png

Functionality inspired by

https://youtu.be/mOWfX_b1jls?t=52s

I' love to bring this to the market.

However, there are too many possible variants at the moment:

UMO, UM+, UM2, UM-like printers

stock hotend, Merlin, E3D, ...

direct drive (NEMA8), flexdrive (bowden I'd exclude from the list)

Evaluating these alternatives is essential if you want to narrow down the list. But this is beyond my time and budget as a one-man-show. So we need some sort of cooperation to bring this forward.

So you say i don't need to buy an UMO to make this happen eventually? I'd love to buy another UM2 just to do this setup XD

At least I hope so. But I don't want to put any stress on UltiArjan :wink:

As the magnetic mount is working flawlessly and the combination with the modular printhead is kind of duplicating features I'll replace this bulky part with a more compact design. This should save another 20 mm printing space in x direction. Just have to develop a design which contains some flexible parts so I can use double extrusion :smile: