Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
foehnsturm

A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

The bowden lenght depends on the feeder positioning. If mounted close to the top of the back panel you're ok with the standard UM2 bowden length (the higher mounting compensates for the resting position in the distant front right corner).

As for the fan cables, you're correct. We try to provide cable extensions and Y-cables for connecting the standard wire harness to the electronics. You can try to make your fan cables like the original ones and use the extension cables or make them already some 200 mm longer in oder to avoid the extensions (but you would still need the Y-splitters). The easiest way probably is to go for the first option and ask @SyntaxTerror if he wants to send you one of the Mark2 extension boards for a small compensation.

@foehnsturm/@all

Great job on this and I'm extremely excited to see that this is finally getting released!

I'm one who signed up for UMO and wondering if the Mark2 will still be able to support the UMO. Also, as I'm preparing to get the additional extruder and feeder, wondering if I would get extra benefit if I order two diff. nozzle sizes, e.g., 0.4mm and a 0.5mm. Will the custom Cura firmware for Mark2 support nozzles of diff. sizes?

Once again, congratulations and looking forward to your Mark2!

Edited by Guest

Bondtech ordered .. can anyone tell me the right length for the Boden tube for the second extruder or is this to early...

I have switched to Bondtech as well and bought 2m in spare to make sure I can do everything I feel like later on.

The bowden length depends a bit on where / how you mount the feeders, there are multiple options.

Edited by Guest

Hi foehnstrum,

I'll been following this tread for a "loong" time and must say; this is the most valuable "gift" to the Community I've ever seen in here (IMO).

The print we see here is as perfect as it could be in the important places, the blades of the propeller. Very impressive! "I'm talking about the Mark 2 print!"

Thanks for sharing all this with us.

Torgeir.

Nice. Definitely looking forward for this. What is the mark2 printhead expansion board from the video?

It's simply a small PCB that adds additional fan drivers so the fans on the second head can be controlled individually. As the main board lacks any (unused) buffered outputs from the microcontroller, I put together a little board with the missing driver transistors.

Nice. Definitely looking forward for this. What is the mark2 printhead expansion board from the video?

It's simply a small PCB that adds additional fan drivers so the fans on the second head can be controlled individually. As the main board lacks any (unused) buffered outputs from the microcontroller, I put together a little board with the missing driver transistors.

Hi, thanks for the answer. I think the question for everyone is can i still use the second extruder if i don't have that board. Or if that board is missing, is it still possible for dual extruding with 2 printheads?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the answer. I think the question for everyone is can i still use the second extruder if i don't have that board. Or if that board is missing, is it still possible for dual extruding with 2 printheads?

Thanks

Yeah sure, you can just run the head #2 fans in parallel with the ones on head #1 using some Y-cables. It works just fine. You just can't turn off the #2 head entirely.

Yeah sure, you can just run the head #2 fans in parallel with the ones on head #1 using some Y-cables. It works just fine. You just can't turn off the #2 head entirely.

And just in case you can't get one. You can build a Y Molex extender to connect both hotend fans to the same PWM FAN without cutting the cables (just in case you want to preserve the original cables to keep the machine value or just because)

Video tutorial showing how to make a simple Y molex cable to connect both hotend fans:

• Like 5

And just in case you can't get one. You can build a Y Molex extender to connect both hotend fans to the same PWM FAN without cutting the cables (just in case you want to preserve the original cables to keep the machine value or just because)

Video tutorial showing how to make a simple Y molex cable to connect both hotend fans:

Nice tutorial! It will be handy when the mark2 comes out!

Thanks

• Like 1

`

Hello, how fast can i get such board? Are they available yet? at what cost?

Many Thanks,

RUdy

Rudy.de.geus@me.com

No love for UMO? :(

Saw the updated mark2 site and noticed the documentation only talks about UM2+ and didn't say the mod/upgrade can be done for UMO. Can someone confirm pls?

So far everything is ready for the UM2. But there are quite some UMO owners interested. Let's discuss this in the near future. @neotko is one of the guys who knows best about the opportunities and challenges.

Uff tough question. I left umo hotend long ago to use the um2 hotend on my 3 umo+.

I think it could be done, but the print area would be really really small unless the Parking is on the left side and the endstops are changed and etcetcetc

Problematic also is that the x/y central shafts (the ones of 6mm) are inverted on umo vs um2 (that's actually easy to solve with other slideblocks).

Basically. Doable? Yes. Worth? Depends... for simplicity I would use um2 on umo to use Foehnsturm Tool changer. But I would change the slideblocks and endstops to use the whole print area like um2... Ofc that means changing the endstops by doing 4 fast drills on the wood frame...