A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Uff tough question. I left umo hotend long ago to use the um2 hotend on my 3 umo+.

I think it could be done, but the print area would be really really small unless the Parking is on the left side and the endstops are changed and etcetcetc

Problematic also is that the x/y central shafts (the ones of 6mm) are inverted on umo vs um2 (that's actually easy to solve with other slideblocks).

Basically. Doable? Yes. Worth? Depends... for simplicity I would use um2 on umo to use Foehnsturm Tool changer. But I would change the slideblocks and endstops to use the whole print area like um2... Ofc that means changing the endstops by doing 4 fast drills on the wood frame...

@foehnsturm/@neotko

Thanks! I guess I'll have to focus on a UM2+ just to get this working. Off I go to the secondary market for a good deal UM2+.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Is everyone aware that there is also an amazing community contest going on where you can win a full Mark 2 upgrade, including an extrusion upgrade?

Definitely worth checking out!

• 6 months later...

Hi Ultiarjan,

I saw your project on two different head it was quite awesum, i am using the mark2 kit, i just wanted to know how did u change the firmware or cura for picking up the first tool, cause i cud see a code for picking up the 2nd in the mark2 project,But there is nuthing for the first head, if its not a problem could you share this, as i was thinking of converting My mark2 to your configuration i feel this would really clear up the oozing issue when the first head is carrying the second, i await your reply eagerly on this, thanking you

Warm regards

Rajil Pahuja

Are you refering to the setup with 2 magnetic heads?

It's very old, and I would advice against it. the big advantage of the mark2 is that you keep an almost original UM2 when you use it in single extrusion mode.

Techincally it's not very difficult, the moves for handling the pickup of the heads is just Gcode, so just different moves vs, the Mark2 positions.

I've had many emails with Rajil and he is very handy and competent and you shouldn't underestimate him.

What is wrong with having two heads in the two corners? Was that a bad design for some reason?

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Two heads in two corners is doable ofc. The major reason for the Mark2 approach was keeping the modifications to the original printer as small as possible.

Edited by Guest