A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

At least it almost looks like a printer now.

corexy10-15-2.thumb.jpg.c1e903c1da7f5d8f50abe6e8207005b0.jpg

x/y/z are working. 600W silicone heater is ready for mounting as well.

Now waiting for the steppers for the printheads.

corexy10-15-2.thumb.jpg.c1e903c1da7f5d8f50abe6e8207005b0.jpg

• Like 3

I'm going to jump shark and get the http://3dprint.com/99012/3d-printer-smarter-replicape/ for my dual umo. Ofc I'll have to learn a lot but if never used a 3D printer a year ago maybe this is doable. The board specs are just great. 4 fans, mosfet, great steppers with 32microstep and 150€ more or less with all. The only think I woud have add would be a third extruder. Anyway it looks really interesting as much more powerful than the atmegas.

It's not that hard to be more powerfull than the atmega. But they are cheap and there is already a lot of work done for them, which is the main reason people use them.

It's not that hard to be more powerfull than the atmega. But they are cheap and there is already a lot of work done for them, which is the main reason people use them.

Indeed. For me the um2 board it's a bit small. The fans pwm are very weak, and the expansion possibilities are quite small. Don't get me wrong I love this board and the printer, but for dual unless if its done on the traditional way for me has been a bit disappointing. Hopefully since the proyect of that board has been fully funded on one day it will have good support from third parties. And it even supports a port to expand the extruders to 5. And since its linux cura can be installed inside and just send the stl by wifi for the printer to process it.

Well, I've to say I'm very happy with the smoothieboard. Connecting the silicone heater took 5 mins today. Just had to decide which of the 4 thermistor inputs and 6 MOSFETs to use, edited 3 lines in the config file, issued a reboot, that's all. The heater runs on mains voltage via a SSR. 25° - 100°C takes 55 sec.

• Like 1

Foehnsturm, have you gone for z rails at the front of the bed as well? I can see holes for it but not installed.

It's prepared for a second set of rails. However I start with the standard setup. The rails are quite oversized (16mm). Time will tell.

Its a good idea. So how much has this cost to build? And I think you said this was specifically designed for the magnetic dual extrusion. Have you come up with different designs for that, or using your original design?

Huh, didn't add up the bills so far. I was looking for quality not for cheap parts, so it's quite some money.

Roughly: motion system parts (MISUMI) 250 €, smoothieboard and display 200 €, x/y/z steppers 50 €, laser cut metal parts 150 € + belts, bearings, PSU, ...

I'll use the magnetic mount in a modified way which allows the slide-on-wedge move for coupling and decoupling from both sides.

Printheads will be a story for its own. 1,75 mm E3D Lite to start with, and a modified direct drive.

• Like 3

Guys, do any of you know if its possible to adjust the -16.5mm retraction on extruder swap in cura? I've got an issue with one filament type which jams when its retracted this far, so can't dual print with it. Failing that, does the software you use Neotko have this adjustment option?

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

The preference at this stage would be to keep using Cura, as I'm having issues with the printer itseld at the moment, and if I use a new slicer too, I'm not going to know whats up when I get bad prints. Need to get consistent good prints with Cura before moving to simplify3d I think. Must be a gcode solution somehow when T1/T0 is swapped?

Edited by Guest

I don't remember where it was but on legacy cura I think that option was on expert/advanced settings.

Legacy cura? Is that the new version?

Does is generate gcode in the same manner with the t(n) for extruder select? If it doesn't, I wont be able look up and insert my extruder selection script. I also thought It didn't support dual extrusion? Ive stayed away from it until now after reading all the problems people had with it.

I was just woke up when saw your post sorry. On the old cura that has dual extruder support the option isn't there?

The cura retract on tool change should appear just before the tool change on the gcode. Take a look on the gcode, since always it's the same number it should be easy to search/replace it.

He means old cura, you'll fine it here;

DualRet.png.3ff87a3f73ba02b186a8cec00e884b37.png

and for UM2, it's in the advance menu on the printer...

DualRet.png.3ff87a3f73ba02b186a8cec00e884b37.png

• Like 1

Sweet, that's great. I'm on 14.xx still. But, the final question (and hope its the right answer so I can get all this working!), does it 15.xx generate gcode in the same way as 14.xx for tool change, I.e use T0, T1

I don't expect there to be a difference but just try it.....

I would, but I can't get cura to download at work! I'll have to wait until tonight.

Use the /15.10/

I think he wanted the legacy cura because the dual extruder support.