• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Nice find! I am building a delta printer and opted for the "

" system in order to alleviate a bit a heavy stepper that sits on the print head.

Did anybody try the tiny geared DC micro-motors from Pololu?

https://www.pololu.com/category/141/micro-metal-gearmotors-with-extended-motor-shafts

Some of them come with built-in encoders and between 30 - 120rpm should provide enough torque to drive 1.75mm filament. Other commercial product seem to use similar micro-motors for compact extruders:

http://nscrypt.com/docs/nScrypt-nFD-Brochure.pdf

At ~10g motor + 5g for bearings + 5g whatever spring/hardware you add, the package would be adequate for deltas directly on the effector.

Well I consider this more the standard dual-extrusion approach ;)

Yes, your solution when done correctly has the potential to be betterl. But since we needed to upgrade the current system we found that our solution worked best ;)

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

A first test piece to explore the possibilities and limits of the current setup.

The tiny columns are 0.8 mm wide.

Sliced with new Cura, 0.4 nozzle, no priming towers or wipe shield used, no z-hop, no post-processing / photoshopping.

dual-extrusion-test-c2.thumb.jpg.121ff9a0e65acc7ba928cbda9df6655c.jpg

The slight blue shadows on the inside are caused by the blue nozzle catching white parts while traveling -> z-offset is off by some 0.05 mm. The more visible ones are either the z seam or an erratic movement generated by Cura on each extruder startup.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

no priming towers or wipe shield used, no z-hop, no post-processing / photoshopping.

Thats impressive! you really know how to make people curious :)

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

:)

Just to illustrate how fast (or slow) this has been printed for comparison.

Not showing the tool change, but time for this only depends on the re-heating time, movements are just a few seconds.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

These results make me want to try a dual setup again someday :)

Curious about you oozing control. I can be very patient .... but any ETA on when you share more details?

How do you deal with the borders between the to materials? Cura does not have a way to set an overlap? or does it? or did you do it in CAD?

Haha, you already know how to do it :)

Well seriously I'm already waiting for a decision to be made ...  On the other hand I don't want to spoil the Ulticreator project as I haven't seen any detailed prints. It has pros and cons for sure, but fact is: it's a complete kit and it seems to be available. If I will offer/publish my solution on my own I most likely won't be able to offer something that complete in the near future.

Edited by Guest

How do you deal with the borders between the to materials? Cura does not have a way to set an overlap? or does it? or did you do it in CAD?

Didn't use an overlap, works quite well without.

Haha, you already know how to do it :)

sure mechanically .... but without a wipe tower .... that's a different story :)

Invested 2 hrs of work and had some fun today.

@ultiarjan: couldn't resist ;)

• Like 11

ha ha nice :)

Invested 2 hrs of work and had some fun today.

With some clever (very very clever) software and 4 pencils with acrylic ink (like the one for nails that isn't much expensive and most of it it's fda) it could be posible to use a full cmyk 3d printer. At least until the ink drys :D And focusing just on the perimeters/toplayers it could be fairly quick.

Edited by Guest

If you want to print full color on a printed surface it's probably easier to use Aad van der Geest's control of a normal inkjet cartridge;

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/20882-making-a-full-color-inkjet-3d-printer

Appart from the funny pen video I'm more interested to see more of foehnsturms new setup ..... he's already teasing us for too long :p

• Like 2

Indeed!

On the video seems that he has a purge on the front and a nozzle clean on the left with a square hotend movement, probably to capture the filament and wipeit fully. I wonder how much print area it's left with a parking on the right.

Seems leapfrog follows this post:

Looks like Pancake feeder + BCN sigma dual system. #copypastefrog

Edited by Guest

Spoke to a guy who owned a leapfrog recently..... used the undercariage of the machine to make a table :p the only thing it was good for ....

• Like 2

" system in order to alleviate a bit a heavy stepper that sits on the print head.

Just some heads-up on the work posted on reprap forums. We are making great progress on a less than 30g extruder. Best design so far has 15g and 2kg pull force, perfect for 0.4mm nozzles. Commercial 3d doodlers use similar setups so we are definitely on the right track.

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,661444

A pair of these can easily drive a dual-head Um2 without Bowden drawbacks.

file.php?1,file=78464,filename=assembled.jpg

• Like 4

Spoke to a guy who owned a leapfrog recently..... used the undercariage of the machine to make a table :p the only thing it was good for ....

I must admit the amount of positive user experiences is rather rare to find.

Just some heads-up on the work posted on reprap forums. We are making great progress on a less than 30g extruder. Best design so far has 15g and 2kg pull force, perfect for 0.4mm nozzles. Commercial 3d doodlers use similar setups so we are definitely on the right track.

Sounds great! Curious to hear more about this :) Should it need its own topic?

Sounds great! Curious to hear more about this :)Should it need its own topic?

Not sure it needs its own topic as there's one on reprap and it would fragment the ideas and community. Just head there and voice your opinions.

• Like 1

@foehnsturm

I was just wondering if the rails on your new 3d printer are very noisy compared to a shaft and bushing.

And what size is the rails? 15mm

Look what I found in the printer this morning.

However, I'm not sure if I'll ever manage to totally dissolve the PVA ...

But slicer generated support just doesn't work reliable with complex geometries where lots of tiny PVA support structures would start on top of PLA surfaces.

P1100110.thumb.JPG.b4b4e6213ccf368a8be7bd3feed06487.JPG

P1100108.thumb.JPG.728b487841d432978f2c3c8c52c3f16b.JPG

If it'll ever see the light of day it should look like this.

large.png

P1100110.thumb.JPG.b4b4e6213ccf368a8be7bd3feed06487.JPG

P1100108.thumb.JPG.728b487841d432978f2c3c8c52c3f16b.JPG

• Like 4