Noise when starting a new layer

emilio2

Posted · Noise when starting a new layer

Hi.

I am new to UM2 and I have been printing some small test prints.

I am using Cura, PLA and default profile.

When printing every part I can hear a "hoarse" noise when the printer head apparently starts a new layer. I cannot tell for sure but it seems the noise can be heard always at the same head position. For instance, if printing a square box, I can hear the noise when the head is at the same corner.

Otherwise the printing task is pretty quiet (compared to other printers I have).

The printing finishes well.

Is this 'noise' some to be expected or is it a clue that something is going wrong?

Emilio.

That noise is the Z axis moving up one layer.

The noise of UM2 printing is something like this: dseeeeeee-dseeeeeee-CLUNK-----dseeeee-dseeee-CLUNK--etc.....end of printing: WHAAAAAAAAAUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! (the z-axis again moving the bed down! You can hear it from the floor above).

Z-axis noise is definitely a point to improve on UM2 printers.

Yes, if I place my finger in the Z-axis rod I can feel the tack-tack noise. So the noise is coming from that rod for sure. :-(

It is much more noise than I expected. I own a TAZ printer and sounds like music.

Most things on my Ultimaker 2 are very very quiet - much quieter than the UM Original. The exception is the Z axis. It is very loud. Louder than UMO I think. I can hear it up a flight of stairs and 10 meters away through 2 closed doors.

Fortunately the Z axis doesn't move very often.

@gr5: Have you switched to 1/16 z-step yet on the UM2? It makes a big difference!

@gr5: Have you switched to 1/16 z-step yet on the UM2? It makes a big difference!

Where do you switch that? Curious as the noise isn't really loud but I'm interested in anything that can reduce it.

There is a jumper on the Ultiboard2 (somewhere at the center) or actually the two pins which should be closed with a jumper. And then you have to double the steps-per-mm in the settings.

Also make sure the Z screw is well greased. There goes a LOT of grease in the UM2 screw, much more then in the UMO.

Switching to 1/16 stepping is also a good idea, but needs a small firmware modification (or some GCode fiddling)

@Daid, if 1/16 stepping is a good idea, why is it not the default ?

I have added the Magnalube stuff, although I think the axis was already well greased. No changes. The noise is the same.

How can I change 1/8 to 1/16?. Step by step guide please!!

BTW, do people print at late-night with this printer ?

I do. And the z-axis is definitely loud. But a closed door seems to do the trick. Don't think I'll fiddle with the internal electronics yet. Hahahahahaha!