Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
emilio2

Noise when starting a new layer

Hi.

I am new to UM2 and I have been printing some small test prints.

I am using Cura, PLA and default profile.

When printing every part I can hear a "hoarse" noise when the printer head apparently starts a new layer. I cannot tell for sure but it seems the noise can be heard always at the same head position. For instance, if printing a square box, I can hear the noise when the head is at the same corner.

Otherwise the printing task is pretty quiet (compared to other printers I have).

The printing finishes well.

Is this 'noise' some to be expected or is it a clue that something is going wrong?

Emilio.

That noise is the Z axis moving up one layer.

The noise of UM2 printing is something like this: dseeeeeee-dseeeeeee-CLUNK-----dseeeee-dseeee-CLUNK--etc.....end of printing: WHAAAAAAAAAUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! (the z-axis again moving the bed down! You can hear it from the floor above).

Z-axis noise is definitely a point to improve on UM2 printers.

Most things on my Ultimaker 2 are very very quiet - much quieter than the UM Original. The exception is the Z axis. It is very loud. Louder than UMO I think. I can hear it up a flight of stairs and 10 meters away through 2 closed doors.

Fortunately the Z axis doesn't move very often.

Also make sure the Z screw is well greased. There goes a LOT of grease in the UM2 screw, much more then in the UMO.

Switching to 1/16 stepping is also a good idea, but needs a small firmware modification (or some GCode fiddling)