15.01 major surface quality issues

moshen

Posted · 15.01 major surface quality issues

15.01 prints have major issues with surface quality with infill showing through the surface. I'm using the exact same loaded profile for 14.12.1 and 15.01 and printed with both to show the issue (right is 15.01). This was printed with a Printrbot Simple Metal. I'm not the only one with the issue, a few others are as well as illustrated by a thread at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrintrBot/comments/2vxggc/new_cura_version_makes_some_crappy_prints_1501/

Anyone else see this or know what changed in 15.01 to cause this?

c5n7aRw.jpg

Tried 5% infill overlap and two shells and no difference. My theory is the way the perimeters cool where there is infill vs. where there isn't is what's causing the issue. What was the reasoning for doing the infill first in version 15?

What was the reasoning for doing the infill first in version 15?

It's doing infill->inner perimeter->outer->perimeter->top/bottom skin

As then you go from fast to slower on the default printing profiles. Which is good for pressure changes in the nozzle. And increases the overall quality for Ultimaker prints.

I noticed the same negative effect on surface finish while printing on my Mini Kossel with 15.01.

With <15.01 only slight mechanical moire patterns were visible (sometimes, depending on the print), with 15.01 I see the infill as Moshen showed with his picture.

Does the overall quality increase include surface finish on Ultimaker prints?

I would be curious if Ultimaker users notice the issue as well because as far as I can tell the issue is with the perimeter shrinking around the infill or cooling at a different rate where it touches the infill and that causes the surface artifacts. I really think there should be an option to revert back to v14 behavior. Right now I have gone back to v14 and removed v15 until this can be worked around...

Does the overall quality increase include surface finish on Ultimaker prints?

In case of an Ultimaker2 - i would say - yes - indeed...

It's pretty hard to notice any differences at all - but for sure no drawbacks so far.

I would first follow the suggestion in the thread you've linked. Export the used profile settings from both Cura versions and compare the .ini files.

Maybe other printers are running earlier into problems with frequently changes of the printing speed/flow rate? Set all the advanced speed settings to zero and give it a try.

As mentioned in the first post, it's using the exact same profile .ini. I exported the one from v14 and used it in v15 and printed the exact same part.

I was running infill at 70mm/s and perimeters at 40-50mm/s without any visible infill patterns on the outer surface with cura 14.X.

I'm pretty sure I ran the same speeds with 15.X but I can check again. I noticed some other strange behavior due to the ini changes that I fixed, I could have missed some.

It would be interesting to see the difference between ultimakers and others in this respect.

this is a potential show stopper for using cura though.. Making it configurable or dependant on printer selection might be a good idea.

Check whether you have set the right setting for "combing" in Cura 15, as it doesn't properly copy the settings from ini files made with earlier versions.

Not sure whether it is causing this problem (probably not) but it's worth checking anyway...

My intuition tells me it makes more sense to do the shell before the infill, as there are bound to be small imperfections at the starting points of the infill lines (blobs). These will be in the way when the shell is built, and the shell will be pushed outward at these points.

When you put down the shell first, these blobs will be stuck against the inside of the shell and will therefore not affect the shape of the shell. Or a lot less, at least, I would assume.

I'll check to see if I have the same trouble, haven't used v15 a lot yet - it's great to get all the improved versions, but often there are new troubles appearing, so for production I usually stick to a version that has proven to work well.

It's becoming quite a skill to know what version of Cura works best for each print, it seems...

I did look at the combing options as well, thanks for the suggestion though.

In my case with 5% infill overlap (down from 15% stock) the infill did not seem to have blobs or push the shell much. That's why my hypothesis was some thermal artifact where it touches the slightly warmer infill.

I'm staying with v14 for now. It'd be nice if it didn't ask you every time to upgrade. Nicer if we made the infill / perimeter ordering user adjustable ;)

You can disable the update checking in the preferences in Cura.