Replacing UMO electronics fan by 2 12V fans

Posted · Replacing UMO electronics fan by 2 12V fans

Hi!

This is my first post here.

The electronics fan on my Ultimaker original got really noisy. I'd like to replace it with 2 small silent fans like in this design: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-electronics-fan-replacement

I wonder what the voltage of the connector on the board is. The fan that came with the printer has 24V printed on it, but here http://reprap.org/wiki/Ultimaker%27s_v1.5.7_PCB it says the connector would be 12V.

My Ultimaker was built last fall, so I think I have the 1.5.7 board.

Any insights? I don't have a way to measure the voltage at the moment.

Thanks,

Thomas

Consider peeling back the sticker in the center of the fan and if you can see the bearing in there add a drop of oil. I'm sure many fans will work just fine.

Ideally I think you want a "blower" and not a "fan". Fans have blades like a propellor - typically 5 blades. Blowers have typically 30 blades and use centrifugal force and can withstand much more back pressure. I don't know if german suppliers use different words for the 2 kinds of devices.

Hi!

This is my first post here.

The electronics fan on my Ultimaker original got really noisy. I'd like to replace it with 2 small silent fans like in this design: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-electronics-fan-replacement

I wonder what the voltage of the connector on the board is. The fan that came with the printer has 24V printed on it, but here http://reprap.org/wiki/Ultimaker%27s_v1.5.7_PCB it says the connector would be 12V.

My Ultimaker was built last fall, so I think I have the 1.5.7 board.

Any insights? I don't have a way to measure the voltage at the moment.

Thanks,

Thomas

I have the same issue and also considered the linked fan shroud but then I noted that a part of the ply has to be removed.

Currently I'm working on a remixed drop-in replacement without woodwork but it's not tested nor published up to now...

Regarding voltage I found a note that it might be 19V on the fan socket. Could anybody confirm or reject this??

Thanks everybody.

I will first try to re-oil the stock blower. Actually that is quite obvious once you know that the bearing is right there below the sticker.

To mount the linked printable fan duct, I don't see why part of the ply has to be removed (except the two holes for screws)? Anyway, I now read that it may interfere with a heated bed electronics which I may install later. So I'll reconsider options later.

I did, but thats not a optimal long term solution... Also due to the mounting direction the oil is running out.

I have not found a similar "quality" blower therefore I'd like to test this 2fan solution...

I take out the rotor and fill everything with grease. So I have the best results. The best thing to do that with a new fan. Oil disappears too quickly. Sintered bronze bearings are normally only oiled, but experience shows that grease is an longer Time active.

(Translated by Google Translator)