Cura with Wanhao duplicator x4

codenamebravo

Posted · Cura with Wanhao duplicator x4

I'm a Complete NOOB. Hi I have purchased my first 3D printer, a Wanhao duplicator x4 and I am wondering if CURA will work with it or if not how can I get it to work or is there any other creation software out there cheers.

PLEASE HELP.

• 1 year later...
    • 2 years later...

We have just purchased a 2nd hand Wanhao Duplicator 4 for our 3dtechzone and were wondering if the new Cura 3.5.1 etc was compatible and able to configure for the dual nozzle printer?

I see it is on the list of printers but cannot find information for setting up, slicing a dual part print and using the dual nozzles etc.

any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I have the same situation. A friend sent me a Wanhao Duplicator 4, basically unused. I'm familiar with Utlimaker's Cura and currently am up and flying on a Creality Ender 2. Waiting for a part so I'm attempting to find a way to utilize the dual extrusion for print jobs and would rather not pay for Simplify3D if I don't have too. Though they advertise they support both printers and  I've heard some good things about it from Shane Fuga on YouTube. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment I do have S3D and it works great, much better than the slicer that came with the D4 on its SD card, but I would like to also be able to use CURA as it does say it supports the D4.

new 3.5  should do. 

has wanhao 4s as one of the printers

add the X3G plug in too. 

I’ve done that but I can’t find out how to set up the second extruder, I can’t find where it is etc.

20 hours ago, izzy said:

At the moment I do have S3D and it works great, much better than the slicer that came with the D4 on its SD card, but I would like to also be able to use CURA as it does say it supports the D4.

Yes, I've used the Wanhao Duplicator 4s setting, but it is a single extruder profile and why have a dual extruder printer when you can only use one extruder??  I've chosen to attempt to create my own, which is almost what I did for the Ender 2 which brought me into the Cura world in the first place. I chose the Ultimaker "Original Dual Extruder" with a dual extruder, and am currently swapping out the G-code and settings with everything I can glean from everyone I've run across with the actual settings for the Duplicator 4. I can't try it out until Monday when a part arrives I need to make the printer operational (a support broke in shipping). I believe the native Cura has an export function that will already allow you to save your files to an X3G format, or maybe I've already downloaded and installed that plugin; sometimes you just keep throwing spaghetti at the wall and hope it sticks. If I get it up and working, I'll post it here and on Facebook in the Wanhao user's group. I really like the idea of clicking a button and changing the filament color mid printing, should add some zest to the whole deal, eh?

Indeed. I checked and distractingly this is the case. 

Another thing wrong with 3.5.x

Indeed. I checked and distractingly this is the case. 

Another thing wrong with 3.5.x

9 hours ago, Mtnbikersd said:

Yes, I've used the Wanhao Duplicator 4s setting, but it is a single extruder profile and why have a dual extruder printer when you can only use one extruder??  I've chosen to attempt to create my own, which is almost what I did for the Ender 2 which brought me into the Cura world in the first place. I chose the Ultimaker "Original Dual Extruder" with a dual extruder, and am currently swapping out the G-code and settings with everything I can glean from everyone I've run across with the actual settings for the Duplicator 4. I can't try it out until Monday when a part arrives I need to make the printer operational (a support broke in shipping). I believe the native Cura has an export function that will already allow you to save your files to an X3G format, or maybe I've already downloaded and installed that plugin; sometimes you just keep throwing spaghetti at the wall and hope it sticks. If I get it up and working, I'll post it here and on Facebook in the Wanhao user's group. I really like the idea of clicking a button and changing the filament color mid printing, should add some zest to the whole deal, eh?

There is a plug-in for x3g writer to do the necessary.

i wait in baited breath so I can advise my friend how best to sort it. 

Mid possible and when working, could you share on thingiverse any files and guidance to make it happen.

many thanks

rebekah 

I’ll watch with interest for your success, at the moment at least I know S3D works across the range of printers I access, UM2, Wanhao Di3+, Wanhao D4, Zmorph VX.

Are you saying S3D is Simplify3D? Sorry, I come from the days when things were spelled out... having initials for everything is a bit beyond me. I blame RAM and ROM... it all went downhill from there. Yes, Simplify3D  does say it covers and works with both printers. I just don't have the $150 for the software program right now. And after working with the WanHao software, it's not insurmountable. I'll probably end up using two programs to start until I can either get Cura to work with the Duplicator 4 and Ender 2, or I'll spring for the Simplify3D program. It's my impression that a LOT of these "YouTube-Guys" who demo 3D printers and printing use it since it works across all the printers they have. Makes sense. The part I'm waiting for arrives shortly, once I get the physical Duplicator up and running, I'll start on working on its programming. So, probably back in a few days. 

Yes S3D is Simplify3D.

it is worth the money, although apparently the new Cura is better some say but I try both and the new S3D has the options almost the same but it works with all my printer types.

The Wanhao Duplicator 4s configuration was supplied by a community member. I can put in a request to update the configuration, but for that we need more info. Can someone measure the distance between the two nozzles, i.e. from center of the left nozzle to center of the right nozzle?

Cura uses these values to calculate the allowed build volume, i.e. you have the printer's volume size but on some printers not all nozzles can reach all same physical locations.

As near as I can tell, the center of the right nozzle to the center of the left nozzle is 33mm. If I go to the outside edge of the nozzle opening left to right is just shy of 33.4mm. These are hand measurements with an electronic caliper. 

WanHao D4S:

number of extruders: 2

filament size : 1.75mm

X        Y        Z

build volume:    220     140    150

origin offset :    110      70       0

Flip Y

tool offsett    tool 0 :  0

tool 1 :  34

frimware type: Makerbot/salfish

START

M73 P0 ; enable build progress

G162 X Y F3000 ; home XY maximum

G161 Z F1200 ; home Z minimum

G92 Z-5 ; set Z to -5

G1 Z0 ; move Z to 0

G161 Z F100 ; home Z slowly

M132 X Y Z A B ; recall home offsets

M135 T0 ; load right extruder offsets

G1 X-120 Y-70 Z30 F9000 ; move to wait position off table

G130 X20 Y20 Z20 A20 B20 ; lower stepper Vrefs while heating

M126 S[fan_speed_pwm]

M140 S[bed0_temperature] T0

M134 T0 ; stabilize bed temperature

M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0

M133 T0 ; stabilize extruder temperature

G130 X127 Y127 Z40 A127 B127 ; default stepper Vrefs

G92 A0 B0 ; zero extruders

G1 Z0.4 ; position nozzle

G1 E25 F300 ; purge nozzle

G1 X-115 Y-65 Z0.15 F1200 ; slow wipe

G1 X-110 Y-60 Z0.5 F1200 ; lift

G92 A0 B0 ; zero extruders

M73 P1 ;@body (notify GPX body has started)

END

M73 P100 ; end build progress

G1 Z150 F1000 ; send Z axis to bottom of machine

M140 S0 T0 ; cool down HBP

M104 S0 T0 ; cool down right extruder

M104 S0 T1 ; cool down left extruder

M127 ; stop blower fan

G162 X Y F3000 ; home XY maximum

M18 ; disable stepper

M72 P1 ; play Ta-Da song

• Like 1

The original community member who supplied the D4S profile clearly didn't have such a machine, let alone he ever tested the profile.  😞

@rebekah_harper Your profile looks good, but there are a few things that hold me back from copying as is.

- Is extruder 0 the right extruder and 1 the left as stated in your comments? I would expect reversed.

- Official size is listed as 225 x 145 x 150. You have 220 x 140 x 150. Which is correct?
    - Is it true this machine only accepts X3G file format? If yes, then we can configure this as the default file type.

Did you test and verify these codes, or are they just copied from another printer / forum post?

I hoped enabling the 2nd extruder would suffice, but it looks this whole printer definition has to be checked... 😞

hiya,

right is 0 and left is 1 indeed. I don't know why but that's what I have used. 

I've used the profile and works fine so far. 

the reduction in build volume is to allow for the clips that come with the printer. 

yes, it ony accepts x3g format.  don't know why but possibly it's because the printer is pretty much a copy of the makerbot as it was back then. 

Hello, glad to have found this post as I just acquired a Wanhao D4 from a Australian guy.. Thanks for sharing the code, I load the code in and funny things happened. I tried with 2 different .stl files, exported to x3g to print, and:

1) One the print head will go spiral in one location, creating a lump in the middle, followed by jigsaw which is definitely not in the design

2) The other design will just print in the air

Some code or conversion must have obviously went wrong, please help!

On 12/30/2018 at 5:12 PM, rebekah_harper said:

hiya,

right is 0 and left is 1 indeed. I don't know why but that's what I have used. 

I've used the profile and works fine so far. 

the reduction in build volume is to allow for the clips that come with the printer. 

yes, it ony accepts x3g format.  don't know why but possibly it's because the printer is pretty much a copy of the makerbot as it was back then. 

Hello guys,
    I downloaded the 4.2.1 version of cura for my Wanhao duplicator 4s. 
    I still not able to add the extruder settings. Does anyone fixed this problem?

Why did you download v4.2.1?

On the Wanhao website the most recent version is 4.7.1

Or, from the Ultimaker website the current version is 4.13.1

• Like 1