Cura with Wanhao duplicator x4

codenamebravo

Posted · Cura with Wanhao duplicator x4

Hi guys.
I'm trying to set printing temperature in cura, but it doesn't work. Only the bead heats up and not the printed head. Does anyone else experience this problem? 
I loaded the second extruder on Wanhao Duplicator 4s, and then when i am trying to print the extruder does not heat up...

There are different kinds of Multiple Extruder printers.  There are true multiples and the printer will have separate extruders, hot ends, and nozzles for each tool.  There are "multiple-in-one-out" machines that have separate extruders but that share the hot end heater and nozzle.  Different types need to be set up differently in Cura.

What did you do?  Which one describes your printer?

• 3 weeks later...
    On 4/13/2022 at 3:53 PM, GregValiant said:

There are different kinds of Multiple Extruder printers.  There are true multiples and the printer will have separate extruders, hot ends, and nozzles for each tool.  There are "multiple-in-one-out" machines that have separate extruders but that share the hot end heater and nozzle.  Different types need to be set up differently in Cura.

What did you do?  Which one describes your printer?

My printer belongs to the first category(true multiples).

With your models loaded in Cura and the settings the way you want - use the File | Save Project command and post the 3mf file here.  It should be a project that utilizes both extruders.

10 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

With your models loaded in Cura and the settings the way you want - use the File | Save Project command and post the 3mf file here.  It should be a project that utilizes both extruders.

overall.3mf

I don't see any problem in the gcode.  At the end of the StartUp sequence - T0 (PVA) is at 215 and T1 (PLA) is at the standby temperature of 175.

Later when T1 becomes active they switch...

T1
    G92 E0
    M104 T0 S175 ;PVA  extruder to standby temperature
    M105
    M109 S190 ;PLA extruder to Printing Temperature
    M104 S180 ;PLA extruder to Initial Print Temperature

Switching back to T0 for the support...

T0
    G92 E0
    M104 T1 S180
    M105
    M109 S205
    ;MESH:NONMESH
    G0 F5400 X117.348 Y96.152 Z2.71
    G0 X114.681 Y96.873
    M104 S215

That all looks like the way you have it set up in Cura.  If they aren't heating correctly then it looks to be a printer problem either hardware or firmware.

In your StartUp gcode this line is no good:

G1 F{speed_travel}

The "speed_travel" replacement pattern is in "mm/second" and the printer wants "mm/minute" so your G1 travel speed is being set to 120 instead of 7200.  In addition the G1 command is for extrusions and so you are attempting to set the extrusion speed to your travel speed.  Take that line out.  Cura sorts it out later in the gcode.

You stated that your printer has two separate print heads but the Machine Settings don't show any nozzle offset.  Is that the way the printer is (no distance between the nozzles)?

9 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I don't see any problem in the gcode.  At the end of the StartUp sequence - T0 (PVA) is at 215 and T1 (PLA) is at the standby temperature of 175.

Later when T1 becomes active they switch...

T1
    G92 E0
    M104 T0 S175 ;PVA  extruder to standby temperature
    M105
    M109 S190 ;PLA extruder to Printing Temperature
    M104 S180 ;PLA extruder to Initial Print Temperature

Switching back to T0 for the support...

T0
    G92 E0
    M104 T1 S180
    M105
    M109 S205
    ;MESH:NONMESH
    G0 F5400 X117.348 Y96.152 Z2.71
    G0 X114.681 Y96.873
    M104 S215

That all looks like the way you have it set up in Cura.  If they aren't heating correctly then it looks to be a printer problem either hardware or firmware.

In your StartUp gcode this line is no good:

G1 F{speed_travel}

The "speed_travel" replacement pattern is in "mm/second" and the printer wants "mm/minute" so your G1 travel speed is being set to 120 instead of 7200.  In addition the G1 command is for extrusions and so you are attempting to set the extrusion speed to your travel speed.  Take that line out.  Cura sorts it out later in the gcode.

You stated that your printer has two separate print heads but the Machine Settings don't show any nozzle offset.  Is that the way the printer is (no distance between the nozzles)?

Fist of all thank you so much for your help.
    I am gonna show you how my printer is.

3dprinter.jpg

So there is an offset between the nozzles.  That needs to be entered into Cura Machine Settings.  Typically the T0/Extruder1 nozzle will have X=0 and Y=0 (no offset) and the T1 Extruder2 nozzle will have the offset (Example: X=24 Y=0).

I'm not noticing any layer cooling fans.  A  typical situation with a cooling fan for each hot end would have them numbered as "0" for T0 (extruder 1) and "1" for T1 (extruder 2).  If a single fan is covering both nozzles then both extruders would be numbered "0" which is what you have in Cura.

The temperature commands do appear in the gcode.  Getting the printer to respond to the commands should be your priority.

You have "Dual Extruder" firmware installed?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

So there is an offset between the nozzles.  That needs to be entered into Cura Machine Settings.  Typically the T0/Extruder1 nozzle will have X=0 and Y=0 (no offset) and the T1 Extruder2 nozzle will have the offset (Example: X=24 Y=0).

I'm not noticing any layer cooling fans.  A  typical situation with a cooling fan for each hot end would have them numbered as "0" for T0 (extruder 1) and "1" for T1 (extruder 2).  If a single fan is covering both nozzles then both extruders would be numbered "0" which is what you have in Cura.

The temperature commands do appear in the gcode.  Getting the printer to respond to the commands should be your priority.

You have "Dual Extruder" firmware installed?

No i dont't have Dual Extruder firmware installed.

I don't know your firmware but it would seem that if T1 (extruder 2) is not enabled in the firmware then when the printer sees "T1" it won't recognize the command.  My Ender is a single extruder machine and gives back "echo:T1 Invalid extruder" in response to a T1 command.

Your primary extruder should be heating though.

ok thanks a lot. I am gonna try sth.
    The truth is that because the printer is old, it has a lot of problems.

Very few problems are sorted out by simply throwing money at them.  I would think you could install it in Cura as a single extruder machine, get it running well, then move on to the second extruder.

In the meantime do some research into the firmware and see if it supports dual extruders or if you will need to update it (and IF you can update it).

Hello guys again.
    I am trying to put into the recourses file, a new printer definition and to add the second extruder that i found on github:
    https://github.com/fettesps/WanhaoDuplicator4S-Cura
    on my duplicator 4s.
    I deleted the 4.13.1 version because it didn't load me the temperatures and i tried on 3.6,4.2,4.2.1 as the guy on github tried.
    But although i copy the definition,extruder definitions, into the recources files, cura does not recognize the second extruder.
    Has anyone any idea on how i can fix it?
    Thanks a lot

Have you gone to Manage Printers, Machine Settings, Number of Extruders and set it to 2?

Your screen should look something like this...

image.thumb.png.103e2ab0ae5c1d83f05cfc5395ca1ecf.png

I downloaded cura again and it works. Now i have to see if the temperatures are loading.
    Can i ask you sth?
    In the settings of extruders,  should I put a value on?
    Nozzle offset x:
    Nozzlet offset y:

Cura.png

If the printer has two separate extruders that are feeding two separate hot ends that each have their own nozzle then there will be an offset between the nozzles.  That's what that setting is for.

If the printer has a 2-in-1-out hot end then there is no offset since both extruders share the same nozzle.  When that is the case you need to load the Printer Settings plugin from the Marketplace.  In those Printer Settings are "Extruders Share Heater" and "Extruders Share Nozzle" and those would need to be checked.  That way when there is a tool change from like T0 to T1 Cura will not lower the temperature of T0 to the standby temperature.

My printer is like as the photo I had uploaded earlier, so there is an offset and i will to find how much i should write.
    Thank you.

If it didn't come with documentation telling you the offset then you will have to figure it out.  There are Offset Calibration shapes available.  Have you checked with a Wanhao users group like maybe on Reddit?  This has to have come up before.

To get it in the ballpark you can probably start by just measuring the distance between the nozzles.  Measuring the Y offset is going to be tougher and there might be a Z offset as well.

• Like 1

Temperatures does not load again....
    I don't know what should I do, maybe my printer has a problem..
    I think my settings are right.. Should I do something else, that i do not understand?

temps.png

Post a gcode file and I'll take a look.  The M104 lines should be in there though.

Can you pre-heat the hot end and bed using the LCD control?

Yes it is prossible to preheat the Wanhao.

thread.gcode

I don't know where you got that from.  It isn't a Cura file.

(** This GCode was generated by ReplicatorG 0040 **)
    (*  using Skeinforge (50)  *)
    (*  for a Dual headed The Replicator  *)
    (*  on 2022/05/20 12:45:29 (+0300) *)
    (**** start.gcode for The Replicator, dual head ****)
    M103 (disable RPM)

There are some lines to heat the extruder, but your printer may be getting confused by commands like "M103 Disable RPM".

There are other commands where the syntax is odd.

I am attaching a gcode created by Cura and for your printer.  I took out the models and left the two skirts.  One should be printed by T0 and the other by T1.  Print the file and see if it works.  (I made the X offset 25mm for T1.)

A gcode file is just a text file.  You can open them with Notepad or some other text editor (do not use a word processor).  If you open the Wanhao file and look at it and then open the file you posted you will see that they are totally different.

wanhao.gcode

Ohh I am sorry. I will post you know the gcode from cura. I posted gcode from replicatorG by mistake.

test_gcode.gcode

Better.

The StartUp Gcode in that Test file is totally different than what is in the file I have for the 4S.  It appears to have been put together for a different slicer.

This is supposed to spin the fan but Marlin doesn't support this as a fan command:

M126 S[fan_speed_pwm]

This line is supposed to heat the bed but the keyword is for a different slicer:

M140 S[bed0_temperature] T0

So it isn't any wonder that it isn't working.

I'm attaching a Wanhao 4S definition file.  Unzip the file and Paste it into:

"C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\share\cura\resources\definitions"

It should work without any nozzle files, but I have those also if it turns out it needs them.  Another file it might need is the "platform" file that is the background picture in Cura.

wanhao_d4s.def.zip

• Like 1

Good moring. I tried to put the definition file you posted and my temps loading perfectly. But when it comes the time to print, my extruders does not move from the up right corner and the printer is printing on the air. I post the gcode file.

WD4S_spiral_kwnikosswlhnas.gcode