Student Discounts? VAT?

craftee

Posted · Student Discounts? VAT?

Hello I am an architecture student at Woodbury University. I am very interested in purchasing the Ultimaker 2 but I am having a hard time saving up $2500. I was wondering if you guys gave university students some sort of discount. Also since I live in the US and you guys have factories here as well, do I still need to pay the VAT?

I recommend you print your projects with 3dhubs. It will match you up to a local person with a 3dprinter and the prices are reasonable. You can print *a lot* of stuff for much less than $2500 through 3dhubs.

I have considered using 3dhubs to purchase prints. But the reason my classmates and I need a 3d printer is because we will end up printing many things over the course of 5 years+ which will cost us well over $2500 if we were to print on 3dhubs. On top of that I will have more control over the print quality and print time. Trust me I have taken many things into consideration and just buying a UM2 is the most cost effective and will give architecture students more control over their work.

So back to the original question.

Hi Craftee,

Thank you for your post.

We don't have a discount for students.

We do have a more affordable model coming out; the Ultimaker 2Go.

If you want to benefit from the same experience and quality of the Ultimaker 2.

If you want a heated bed and the same volume for a lower price you could also look into the Ultimaker Original+

In regard of VAT, you don't have to pay the dutch VAT, that only applies on dutch customers.

For the US other regulations may come in play.

Thank you for your timely response. That is unfortunate that there are no student discounts.

Regarding the pricing, since €1895 = $2120.69 I'm not exactly sure why the estimates price comes out to $2500

Hey, Craftee. What kind of project you are doing in the University? Sounds interesting that you are printing so big amount of models for study. Curious :p

I have considered using 3dhubs to purchase prints. But the reason my classmates and I need a 3d printer is because we will end up printing many things over the course of 5 years+ which will cost us well over $2500 if we were to print on 3dhubs. On top of that I will have more control over the print quality and print time. Trust me I have taken many things into consideration and just buying a UM2 is the most cost effective and will give architecture students more control over their work.

So back to the original question.

Here is what I'm working on at the moment

49bfc66c89710d6d35874a20d18b86ea.png

aside from full houses. I also create conceptual models that help explore spacial properties.

Architect .

With flat surfaces like that, the um2go might not be the best option, as it has significantly less building volume and no heated bed (which helps with preventing warping, especially on large flat surfaces)

If you pay for (therefore own) the printer, you can charge your classmates for printing their models. With reasonable pricing - no shipping necessary, and making them deliver ready-to-print files to you - you can get back enough money over 5 years for sure.

For example, my rate is 3 $ per printing hour - including the material. Friend price would be 2 $. That's reasonably cheap, yet keeps your friends from spamming you with print requests.

I calculated that rate to cover material costs and get me back the printer's cost within it's lifetime. More or less. You can of course make your own, more elaborate calculations

Would you need an Ultimaker 2? I mean, an Ultimaker Original+ is considerably cheaper and arguably just as capable. Granted, the Ultimaker 2 looks sleeker, but one could argue the Original is more adaptable.

In the want department I can imagine the urge to buy the Ultimaker 2, but when it comes to what you need, and probably more importantly, what you can actually afford, the Original sounds like it ticks all the boxes.

If things work out you could always decide to add another printer :) This is a lot of money for a student, but if you actually start making money with your work it is only a small price to pay for a valuable tool.

Have to agree - as an architect the UMO is so flexible as it has the capability (out of the box) to swap out nozzles and handle some rough conditions - fantastic machine!

Or if you are several that need the printer why not buy it all together and share the cost? If you are five people it will be quite cheap :)

There is a Ultimaker contest going on now, I think if u tagg the corerct ppl u can win a UM 2...u can try

WOW!

Thank you all for your thoughtful input. I have considered getting the UMO+ over UM2 but the UM2 is much quieter and most suitable for our studio setting.

We have considered splitting the cost but we found it difficult to get all 42 students behind the idea also not to mention the questions that arose such as "who will keep it" "who will maintain it" "who will have access to it" because students from other years also have found interest in our endeavors.

Being the most tech savvy and most knowledgeable in 3d printing, I have decided the easiest way to go about the situation would be for me to pay for the 3d printer and charge individual prints cheaply.

Edit: Sorry for the late replies. Mid-terms. you know. ;)

UPDATE none the less. I purchased my UM2 on March 27, 2015 and im over joyed this printer exceeded my expectations!

Costed me a flat rate of $2499 at http://www.dynamism.com/%20(United%20States)

(United States)

Thank you for the update and sharing it with us.

What were your expectations, and how have they been exceeded? :)