Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jweaver

Does a plug in take effect at the START or END of a layer?

One thing I am still struggling to work out is that if I use a plugin (say "PauseAtZ") and set it to act at 1mm (printing at 0.2mm layers) does this take effect AFTER the 5th layer or BEFORE?

When you look at the layer view, you see the toolpath move away on Layer 5 but its not clear whether its doing this at the beginning or the end?

Anyone know off hand?

Jon

I have been doing some tests and the whole thing is very inconsistent.

I took a part which has 2 obvious layers as a base.. And I sliced at 0.2mm.

I set the plugin to 0.4mm assuming that it would stop AFTER the first layer.. But it stopped after the first.

So to get it to stop at the correct layer I had to choose 0.6 which is the 3rd layer.

But when I tested before it wasn't like this and using the layer view to predict the behavour is impossible.. Does anyone have any tips?

Jon

It depends... ;)

...on how the plugin is written. Most plugins which are triggered on a certain height or layer number usually take effect at the start of a layer, i.e. when the new height first occurs. Most tweak settings of the TweakAtZ do for instance.

In general, a plugin can be triggered by nearly anything. It could be triggered after 1000s or as soon as the set temperatur is above 220°C... depending on its code...

It depends... ;)

...on how the plugin is written. Most plugins which are triggered on a certain height or layer number usually take effect at the start of a layer, i.e. when the new height first occurs. Most tweak settings of the TweakAtZ do for instance.

In general, a plugin can be triggered by nearly anything. It could be triggered after 1000s or as soon as the set temperatur is above 220°C... depending on its code...

CHeers.. I am starting to think that happens BEFORE the layer.. And thats fine, as long as I know.. Problem is, with the current bug in CURA which doens't show the layer it makes it very tricky to get right.