Stringy weird print

tyscof

Posted · Stringy weird print

Ok, so I just got my UM2 today. So I am trying to figure out all the settings and stuff I should be using. the test print I printed looked pretty good, I made the robot but a little bit of stringing under the overhang part on the bottom of the box. So I figured I would try to make a larger print. I set it to 200micron and 100 movement speed. The PLA temp is 210 bed temp is pla preset. At first I tried glue with brim but it didn't stick to the plate so I just did it without the glue it stuck better when I did it that way. There were some small errors with the pathing as you can see in some of the pictures. It was printing out ok besides a few mistakes but then for one layer is started making a fuzzy kind of layer and kept doing that so i'm not sure why. Also my filament has a noticeable groove in it from the loader, is that normal too? The test print already loaded on the sd seem to print fine, they are all small so that may have something to do with it as well though. (Also don't know how to insert an image so I just uploaded a gallery)

IMG 0607IMG 0608IMG 0609

I don't see any images in the gallery.

210C and 100mm/sec and .2 layers and .4 nozzle is - well too fast. At that cold temperature the PLA is like toothpaste and at those speeds you need probably 20 pounds of force to get all that PLA out the tiny hole although it can only put out about 10 pounds force. Here are suggested max speeds for .2mm layers (for .1mm layers you can print twice as fast):

20mm/sec at 200C

30mm/sec at 210C

40mm/sec at 225C

50mm/sec at 240C

If you want a decent looking robot go for 240C and say 60mm/sec. If you want a gorgeous robot go for 210C and 30mm/sec.

Ok sorry I fixed it, looks like I didn't publish the photos :oops: , ok that was what I thought was happening, So I tried to re print at 240c with a resolution .1 and a speed of 100mm/s and got a different error. I uploaded pictures in another album

The print started fine and was going good with a lot of it I think(I tried to sleep during the print which was impossible with the fan being so loud) But when I got up in the morning to check it some weird stuff happened to it. The bottom face that should have been finished by time it built the walls up have holes on the top layer like where is tried to fill it in but didnt lay out any filament or something. The same thing on any edge that should have been finished except on the arch part for the half cylinder. Also on the walls at the later end of the print they are really flimsy and looks like the support material but it shouldn't. It's like it also didn't get enough filament. Any help would be very appreciated thanks,

Temp:240

Res:.1

Speed:100mm/s

Brim

Support everywhere

IMG 0614IMG 0615IMG 0616IMG 0617IMG 0618IMG 0619IMG 0621IMG 0624IMG 0677IMG 0683IMG 0684IMG 0685

200 microns is a bit on the coarse side, I would try 150 for a general print, and less like 100 if a better finish is required!

You say 100 movement speed, is that printing speed? if so then its too fast, the 50 default is good, 40 mm/sec is even better and not much slower printing time!

From your pic it looks like your top/bottom thickness is too thin! Or it might just be the speed your using!

I use glue for pla, heated table for first couple of layers then turn the table off, seems to increase the adhesion!

Not sure if you read the second part, I'm printing at .1res with 100mm/s. Yea I was actually really surprised all my prints stay on the bed without any glue at all! Pretty sweet having a heated bed. thanks for your input

Ok so after talking to my man Valcrow I figured mostly everything out, I had a blockage in my hot end! And the print setting I was using were a little funky, thanks for all the help.