Fan housings

izzy

Posted · Fan housings

I've printed off Spitit's UM2 fan mount, and although it looks good I use the std Ultimaker robot to test on and with the origional supplied fan mount it's right ear printed fine the left ear was poor at the bottom edges.

Now the left ear prints fine so the cooling air flow is working well, but the right ear is now printing poor on the bottom edge so it's flow isn't as effective. In both cases im printing with the fans at 100%, but have also tried at reduced rates stepping down to 25% with no improvement.

Does anybody else have the same problems? I have also found that although using several layers of kapton tape and experienced the area under the heating block getting soft and melting, although I now have some heat protecting mat that I will try.

I wondering whether to design my own fan mount but include a feature to be able to modify the outflow by placing gates over the opening to perhaps vary the mouth size and position.

Any suggestions?

Posted · Fan housings

Cheers mnis, I was looking at it on YouMagine do you happen to know the difference for the UM2 variants? My machine is from October 2014.

Posted · Fan housings

I think the easiest way is: You're making a photo of the bottom (black) part from the UM2 print head, and show it to me once. Or look out the pictures in the appropriate forum thread a little more closely and see yourself. When I designed the fan cages, I had no idea from this difference, so I do not know exactly how long this change was made in the UM2 design , My machine is from the end of the year 2013 to the first quarter of 2014. In the last time to the present day, many minor changes to the machine design have been made, so there is little surprises from time to time.

Here you can see an obvious newer print head design. The lower (black) plastic part is too short for CPv9 model (A): http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9706-lets-talk-about-12-screws/?p=95041'>http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9706-lets-talk-about-12-screws/?p=95041'>http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9706-lets-talk-about-12-screws/?p=95041'>http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9706-lets-talk-about-12-screws/?p=95041

Click here for the full Thread: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9706-lets-talk-about-12-screws/

Markus

Posted · Fan housings

Cheers mnis, the newer lower mount was the right one, I printed it in XT, but need to reprint it at a fine step, I reduced the fans down to 50% and printed both XT and PLA, both improved but may want to tweek it up to 55 or 60%. When I have time later I may try my own redesign of the fan housings.

Posted · Fan housings

Hi ;)

Oh, Thank you for your feedback. I am happy when it is an improvement for you.

:idea: You may have to show some before / after images. And later Please show us your results of possible modifications.

Markus