What fans to install on UMO+ ?

neotko

Posted · What fans to install on UMO+ ?

Hi,

I want to put a second fan for pla cooling since with just the one that comes I can't get perfect complex overhangs.

The think it's that I don't know the specs of the fans that I should Install since there isn't a github for the umo+ and since it uses the board of the um2 I'm kinda lost on what voltage/serial/parallel? Configuration of fans I must buy.

Thanks!

The original UM used a 12v 50mm fan. If the UMO uses a different fan it should have a sticker on it that says what voltage it is, and the edge measurement of the fan should be close to 50mm or 40mm for a fan of those sizes. The measurement is actually the screw hole center to center measurement. The UM2 uses 40mm fans I believe.

Well the 'sticker' isn't very informative.

UMO+ Fan

The images uploaded from my iphone go 180º nuts... It says "1512-B2P-A" So no help there. Also the part number dosn't shows on github.

After reading the board pdfs (ultimaker 2 board) seems it goes 24V. Anyone can confirm this?

It's there any plan in the future to have a proper Ultimaker O+ github?

If I'm not completely wrong, someone at Ultimaker (almost sure it was Sander in 'company update') mentioned that Ultimaker will put every machine onto Github six months after launch.

After reading the board pdfs (ultimaker 2 board) seems it goes 24V. Anyone can confirm this?

It is definitely the input voltage, so 24V in this case.

(The UM2 is using 2 12V fans in series)

My new x2 24v fans work perfectly. I had to buy 2 since I did't knew the voltage of the other fan. Thank you guys!

I want to do this mod too and I am just wondering how you fixed the second fan on the metal fan shroud of the UMO+ alu part? Or did you replace it entirely? And what was the exact spec of the fans you bought? where sis you end up plugging them in on the electronics board? Could you maybe post pictures? :???:

Well I have not uploaded the fan anyware because isn't finished. I had to put some blue tape because it 'shakes' with the aluminium. But I can show you the 'beta' of it

I used scissors to save the inner aluminium 'not needed for the mod at all' but I wanted to reuse the left side and be able to change it for a shorter version If I use e3d nozzles. The right side get's the grip from two m3 nylon nuts.

Umm I can't link the photo from the iphone. Check my gallery. I'll link it when I reach the computer

Beta fan for aluminium UMO+

The specs of the fans, I don't remember. I just got what they had on the store, they have ball bearings and they are 24V 50x50x10 I think. They don't come 'on' until the led power reachs 150-160. But at 255 they do push a nice amount of air, so much that my first fan versions where cooling the bed and I had some pla issues. The design isn't finished yet, but so far the overhangs are much better.

Edit: My fans are 50x50x15, that's why I had to scissor the left aluminum... Anyhow the air it's ok, now I need to finish the design to make it more stable and make the airflow cover the area that the nozzle prints, I think I'll try to use the two holes that are on the lower aluminum to make a good grip and because the aluminum don't go over 40-50C it should be ok as long as the fan's are on... I think :D

Posted (edited) · What fans to install on UMO+ ?

The original UM used a 12v 50mm fan. If the UMO uses a different fan it should have a sticker on it that says what voltage it is, and the edge measurement of the fan should be close to 50mm or 40mm for a fan of those sizes. The measurement is actually the screw hole center to center measurement. The UM2 uses 40mm fans I believe.

Since others have done this...what would be a suitable make/model for UMO fan?  (Not +)

My Original fan has a bad bearing...usable but noisy.  And I want a second to add additional cooling on the right side.

I have been looking for a Y adapter to attach two 2-wire fans but have not found such a device yet.  

I assume the replacement fan needs to be able to do PWM?

Edit: Would two of these, spliced together, work?

Edited by Guest