Nickel Plating Nozzles for Carbon Filled Filaments (Updated)

Posted · Nickel Plating Nozzles for Carbon Filled Filaments (Updated)

I've printed two rolls of xt-cf20 with Olsson Block and a 0.8  E3d stainless steel nozzle. The nozzle seems to be ok. But XT-cf20 is sticky  then I've some difficulties with the overhangs, when the filament doesn't adhere on the print there's a heap of material on the nozzle which is leaved later on my print.

I'm just starting with this filament (XT CF-20) and have similar set-up. Olson Block and Stainless Steel nozzle. A different size though: it's a 0.4 mm from 3dSolex. However, the problems I have are similar to yours but prevent any usable print. I'm running the temperature at the maximum (260) but I think there's a conductivity issue between the sensor and the SS nozzle so that it's actually running at the coldest end of the range for this material. I think that's why it's so very sticky/viscous.

Also, it fails to restart the flow properly after a hole in any vertical wall. See here:

IMG_4740.thumb.JPG.f58f910983780e9c231478b9563dfe72.JPG

I end up with failures in the walls which are weak or break.

I've now made 6 prints with this material, with different settings, and none is OK.

What settings are you using, and do you have any advice?

thanks,

Richard

IMG_4740.thumb.JPG.f58f910983780e9c231478b9563dfe72.JPG

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the combination of relatively high melting point for XT-CF20 and cooling fans are causing you the extrusion issues. Try printing with as little fans as possible and reduce the speed a bit!

Here is a teaser of my approach to address nozzle wear by the way, I just post a photo and let you guess :-)

2015-06-09-5796.thumb.jpg.2f1bfef9624f035ef65f200a8da2b461.jpg

If this continues working as good as it does right now I will try to make these available (through swordriff/3dSolex and dealers).

First I need to make a few more prototypes for further testing though.

Then, sourcing components and setting up manufacturing will take some time, so please be patient... and they will not be for free..

On the other hand, none of the filament that I am aware of that you can buy should be able to cause wear on them, so it might be worth the wait and cost for some users. :)

2015-06-09-5796.thumb.jpg.2f1bfef9624f035ef65f200a8da2b461.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited) · Nickel Plating Nozzles for Carbon Filled Filaments (Updated)

I have asked anders Olsson to make a pair of ear-rings for my daughter, Thats how beautiful I think they are!

Edited by Guest

My new nozzle is showing promising results to far.

Printing ABS based on Sabic MG94 (which prints really good), it appears to have potential of reaching surface- and overhang quality I have not seen before: 2015-06-11-5815.thumb.jpg.84382e7c94f239dcacedde53bf4c3804.jpg

Next up is the same plastic, but with a fair amount of really nasty particles in it.

The nozzle is not made from tungsten carbide by the way, but of something which is equally hard :)

And I did not claim that "no filament can wear it out", I said claimed "no filament that I am aware of that you can buy" can wear it out.

My homemade filament is a different story, It should cause some wear, but hopefully not at the same rate as it eats brass :)

2015-06-11-5815.thumb.jpg.84382e7c94f239dcacedde53bf4c3804.jpg

• Like 1

My new nozzle is showing promising results to far.

Printing ABS based on Sabic MG94 (which prints really good), it appears to have potential of reaching surface- and overhang quality I have not seen before: 2015-06-11-5815.thumb.jpg.84382e7c94f239dcacedde53bf4c3804.jpg

Next up is the same plastic, but with a fair amount of really nasty particles in it.

The nozzle is not made from tungsten carbide by the way, but of something which is equally hard :)

And I did not claim that "no filament can wear it out", I said claimed "no filament that I am aware of that you can buy" can wear it out.

My homemade filament is a different story, It should cause some wear, but hopefully not at the same rate as it eats brass :)

Any chance of doing 1.75mm filament versions? I want that nozzle for my umo+ badly :D

It should not be more difficult to make them for 1.75 mm filament than for 3 mm, in fact 1.75 mm might be easier.

If my tests turn out nicely, I will try to get something like this on the market as I said. There are several things that needs to be tested and optimized first though.

But highest on my priority list right now is that the guy who payed the components and the manufacturing wants me to begin by using them for their intended purpose: Printing one of the few things that has potential to ruin them reasonably quickly.

That, on the other hand, is quite a good stress-test :)

• Like 1

Any news? My printer could really use one of that sexys nozzles :)

Things are awfully slow here (as they usually are in the beginning of summer), so I still only have one prototype.

If I am lucky however, I might have a few more prototypes later this week. It will be 3 mm versions though, since I don't have any 1,75 mm nozzles available that are suitable for modification right now.

Swordriff is working on it too, but his batch might take a bit more time.

So if you would be able to use a 3 mm E3D-style nozzle, which is a bit shorter than the UMO-nozzle, I might have one soon. If not, you have to wait a bit longer.

• Like 2

I'll wait. I have a 3mm e3d steel nozzle. It works but drips like hell. I have a production of 4 weeks 12h/day incoming and half will be with carbon from formfutura (released yesterday) and some colorfabb too. Thanks for the update!

Great work you guys have been doing! Looking forward to the release of this new nozzle (whenever that may be) so I can put it on my machine :)

Woa amazing. Just 200grms of carbonfil and the nozzle tip it's already softened from flat to curve. I think I'll wait for better nozzles since the aluminium block of umo suffers a lot from changing nozzles.

I am going to the 3DSolex HQ in Oslo today.

If you are lucky, some kind of wear resistant 1.75 mm prototype will come out of this "mad scientists meeting" :)

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpg.6acfb76a556ab49664024bc4ab0c3976.jpg

Free OLSSON BLOCK for UM2  (for 2.8-3.0mm Filament) to the person who must accurately describes what the orange fluff is. Ends tonight at 22.00 Eu-time.

One suggestion each reply, please.

Price can be converted to 6 nozzles.

If more than one correct description, I draw the winner!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

You killed SpongeBob? :)

• Like 2

Free OLSSON BLOCK for UM2  (for 2.8-3.0mm Filament) to the person who must accurately describes what the orange fluff is. Ends tonight at 22.00 Eu-time.

One suggestion each reply, please.

Price can be converted to 6 nozzles.

If more than one correct description, I draw the winner!

PEI-C60? shape-memory polymer / SMP? Graphite Solar Sponge?

1.gif

Edited by Guest

Looks like PEEK chips from a lathe.

Ketron?

Fluorosint?

Crack Kryptonite?

• Like 1

Lathed Unobtanium?

Diamonditeanium?

Polybenzimidazole?

Praseodymium?