Motor Noise from Ultimaker 2?

lnpurnell

Posted · Motor Noise from Ultimaker 2?

Hi Have just had the Ultimaker 2 and not only are my fans way to loud but there is a new noise coming from the printer, is this normal or is it something to do with the stepper motor?

It only occurs when the printer is moving left and it has gradually been getting worse.

Here is a youtube video of the noise (about halfway through)

Would be grateful if anyone could help :-)

Thanks,

Leigh

yes I started hearing this sound as well since version cura 14.12.1.

It seems to be because the new layer starts at a different place than where the previous one ended. Unlike previous versions of cura the next layer doesn't always start where it ended and so the G0 code including the change in Z also include a bit of travel in X and Y. This causes the Z to be elapsed over a longer timespan and give this sound. You can ear a very similar sound when printing in spiralize.

At least thats what I think it is.

Glad to know what this noise was, it was intermittant, and so hard to locate, I've checked the tightness of all my motors etc, and changed the filament feeder (Roberts upgrade) screws to studs with nuts and spacers and have reduced some noises but every now and they that noise would occur and I'd rush up to my UM2 to check, glad I can relax a bit now.

Hi PM_Dude,

Thanks for that, I spoke to ultimaker and they had never heard of that noise either :-S

The only things that concerned me was that the noise seemed to get worse the further it printed.

The actual print is still coming out good (soooooo much better than the Da Vinci 1.0)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Leigh

That's the Z-axis motor. Rather than a quick burst to move the bed down, it now gradually moves it in tandem with the movement of the xy-head.

As for the loud 3rd fan, you can replace it for a (much) quieter one. I did that with mine and I don't hear the printer anymore when it's idling. When it's printing all I hear is the movements, no fans.

Hi PM_Dude,

Thanks for that, I spoke to ultimaker and they had never heard of that noise either :-S

The only things that concerned me was that the noise seemed to get worse the further it printed.

They might not have noticed since its just happening since newer versions of Cura.

You might have the impression that the sound get worse the further it printed but it might just be that the longer the travel is, the louder the sound is too.