Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
sensebellum

Replace Hot End Extruder Fan

The fan that cools the extruder, the part where the plastic comes out (as opposed to the dual fans) is very noisy and loud on my Ultimaker 2. I know it is this because when I stop the fan with my finger it is very quiet.

This was confirmed when I visited another Maker Space and theirs was very quiet even though the fan was running.

Where can I get another one from? It seems basic but has not listing on the fan. I contacted Ultimaker but haven't heard back and do not see it listed on the store.

Now that I know they can be quieter I am eager to get a replacement.

Thank you for any information.

I don't know of any tutorial.

the silent fan i suggested doesn't have a plug on it, just 2 wires.

If you know how to solder then it is very easy to do. you unscrew the old fan and unplug it. then you desolder the wires and plug, then solder them on the new fan. After that you can just screw in the new fan and plug it in.

if you can't solder then you will need some crimp connectors or a good way of joining the wires to the current ones in the machine.

But don't stress to much.

i'm very comfortable with soldering :) it's the taking the dive into the deep end this early in the relationship with my printer that had me a bit nervous.

but i took the plunge!

and what a difference it made!!! and really not that difficult. i was really worried about getting the fan out, it's hard to see back there and was not sure what needed to be taken out or moved to get the job done. but i can tell you, it's not that much, just moved the wires out of the way, two of the screws and bam! the fan was out.

i took some photos of the adventure, i have to figure out how to post photos if anyone is interested.

cheers

That's great. Yes I was worried about working on mine at the start but then found its not the complicated and most jobs are simple.

Loading photos is a weird process but you Click gallery on the left menu of the forum. Then click upload and create an album and upload to that. There is a tutorial for that somewhere.

Sorry to dig up an old post but man, I followed the suggestion and used the sunon fan suggested above and man the difference was massive! I bought the UM2 about 6 months back and it arrived that noisy to begin with (I kinda thought that was just how it was meant to be). It was so noisy that you could hear it across the room with the doors closed and staying too long in the room made your ears ring. But after changing to this sunon fan, what a difference!, makes almost no noise that I'm having difficulty getting used to the peace.