Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
min0me

Firmware lockup 15.02.1

Hello,

I am unsure if this is the correct place to post about firmware, please move it if needs be.

I upgraded my ultimaker 2 shortly after the newest firmware was released and all was well, but in the last two or so weeks it has started to randomly lockup.

Either

It continues printing, but nothing changes on screen, if you use the scroll the wheel, it does not move between the options and it does not count down.

This can happen undisturbed or when tweaking settings

Or

It stops printing mid-way and just oozes, fans and heaters remain on and the screen garbles partially. It does not respond

This one happened about 10 mins ago

eg.

20150326 001

Both cases you have to switch it off and on again before it becomes responsive

I had reflashed the firmware twice from two different computers and I get the same problem.

It’s not all the time and can happen on quick prints or large prints.

I have an ultimaker 2

Debian 7/ Windows 7

Cura 15.02.1

Print from SD card

Both PLA/ABS

No mods

Card is also good and files end correctly

Thankx in advanced

So to update where I am.

I downgraded the firmware to 14.12 (the previous one) which had worked well for me.

The the hot end became blocked with the first print back at that firmware version and as I removed it to clean everything up (the atomic method didn't work) and I broke it.

After much hunting I finally got a replacement hot end this morning and when I start my first print, the printer locks up, just like the picture above, reset it and calibrate everything again and right now its printing.

Ok, then I'd say it is a hardware problem. Either a connection problem like Personal Drones suggested (maybe a wire got loose somewhere) or the board just broke.

You could take off the board cover at the bottom and inspect it for obvious problems.