Head fans stopped working (solved)

Posted · Head fans stopped working (solved)

Yesterday I was printing a box for my nozzles.

After a while, I had a look at how it was coming out, and this is what I saw:

IMG_1221-pillowing.jpg

Pillowing. I hear Illuminarti's voice from somewhere above me. "It's the fans", he says, "It's the fans".

I look at the fans and indeed they are not spinning. Check the led display, it says fans 100%.

So I stop the print and start playing with the wires coming out of the head. And indeed, if I tilt the cables in a certain way, fans will start.

I expose the cables, but visual inspection does not help, everything looks fine. Indeed, there is one connector that must be defective, as when I play with it, power will come and go to the fans. Nothing wrong to be seen though.

This is what I have, the defective spot is the connector with two green wires attached at the top, the one to the right of the image below.

IMG_1197-fans-connectors.jpg

I decide for a radical solution. I cut off all the connectors part:

IMG_1222-fans-connectors.jpg

Then take out the soldering iron

IMG_1200-soldering.jpg

Rewire everything without connectors. Who needs connectors after all :)

IMG_1202-without-connectors.jpg

The fans are in series.

The yellow cable is positive, the green cable is ground.

The yellow cable must be soldered to one of the red wires from one of the fans (fan 1).

The green cable must be soldered to the black wire on the OTHER fan (fan2).

Then you can connect the black wire from fan 1 to the red wire of fan 2, to close the circuit.

I did not connect any wires directly, but used some short pieces of spare wire as bridges, to leave some room for future rewiring and to avoid having cables too short or too tight.

I thought I would share this just in case someone has the same problem. Works perfectly now. The whole thing took maybe 30 minutes, good to be on the road again :)