Trouble Printing Marvin

craftee

Posted · Trouble Printing Marvin

I've been having trouble printing Marvin perfectly. Here are the specific areas of trouble

Also when printing the bottom hemisphere the PLA starts to peel up.(Cooling problem?)

Any ideas?

83a39ae8e0ae77790c985ad3b5a998fd.jpg597ba88265fcc849a85ea4744453d54b.jpg

yeah its to hot. make sure the fans are on full. you will want to print quite cold and could try printing 2 at once.

its not really the best design.

What temps?

Layer height?

speed?

yeah its to hot. make sure the fans are on full. you will want to print quite cold and could try printing 2 at once.

its not really the best design.

What temps?

Layer height?

speed?

printing at default 210 c (i was using 230 c and i got problems. and 210 i see incomplete extrusion in the infill structure and curling edges.)

0.1mm

50mm/s

Are your fans at 100%?

There is no visible under extrution on the outside of the model though

lower speed and temp a little, 200c and 40mm/s and rotate marvin 45 degrees to get better airflow in front of him, left fan should point at the face.

• Like 1

That can happen if your infill speed is higher than your shell speed. I printed this at 30mm/s (all settings at this speed) and 190deg and it turned out pretty good.

If your speeds vary alot it's hard to get the perfect temp for some details.

Are your fans at 100%?

There is no visible under extrution on the outside of the model though

lower speed and temp a little, 200c and 40mm/s and rotate marvin 45 degrees to get better airflow in front of him, left fan should point at the face.

Yes my fans are at 100%.

I tried printing slower at 25mm/s still no luck.

That can happen if your infill speed is higher than your shell speed. I printed this at 30mm/s (all settings at this speed) and 190deg and it turned out pretty good.

If your speeds vary alot it's hard to get the perfect temp for some details.

Interesting point. So it does look like the speeds for infill and shell differs. i guess thats why the infill has extrusion problems while the shell looks fine.

should i worry about top/bottom speed?

also, if these settings are not 50mm/s, then what exactly is printing at 50mm/s?

I rarely print faster than 40mm/sec Only go faster to print a pattern or something where finish is immaterial.

Someone said on here, print slow, print cool, and its good advice! For PLA I usually run from 190 to 210c depending on cross section, and no violent jumps between printing speeds for shell and infill.

Bottom layer speed try 20mm/sec, I even use 15mm/sec at times on smaller intricate parts

• Like 1

It can be hard to know what areas are actually at 50mm/s as there is so many settings now.

Its kind of a catch 22 with going slow. I have seen that the top/bottom speeds have been set really slow lately. When you go really slow but your temp is high (so you don't get under extrusion on infill) then you can over heat the top and bottom. Going to slow the heat from the nozzle touching the plastic can make it to soft. This is why not varying speeds much means you can adjust the temp just right.

• Like 1

Yup when printing something small like Marvin you want all your speeds to be the same, i.e. Print speed, infill speed, outer shell speed and inner shell speed. Personally I would not go above 30mm/s and would probably try 20mm/s too. As already said fans at 100%. Set your minimum layer time to 10 secs. You will also need to print at least 2 copies using "Print all at once" to achieve that; maybe three copies but you can visually check that. With .100 then probably no more than 200c temp. Personally I would use .300 for layer 1 to max out adhesion; you should be able to get away without a brim.

• Like 1

Yup when printing something small like Marvin you want all your speeds to be the same,

I would modify this slightly and say "when you want best possible quality you want to minimize or eliminate sudden speed changes". Having bottom layer slower is not an issue. The problem will only last for about 1/2 second or less from when the speed change occurrs.

Lots of people print 100mm/sec no problem but you don't get nearly as good quality. It depends if you are making artwork or merely something functional. In fact if you don't care so much about quality but do care about speed then it's also good to use a larger nozzle. A .8mm nozzle prints 4 times faster.

• Like 1

UPDATE

I was able to get a really nice print using these settings

Layer Height: 0.1mm

Shell Thickness: 0.4mm

Retraction: enabled

Bottom/Top Thickness: 0.6mm

Fill: 0%

Print Speed: 20mm/s

Temp: 210C

Bed Temp: 70C

Filament Dia: 2.85

Flow: 100%

No Support

https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/my-first-marvin

The bed is too hot for pla. You can drop it to 50-60. It will reduce caving in near the print bed.

At that speed you can print colder. 200C or even 190C with some PLA.

Thats a great print! Big differences between the two you posted!

GJ

Lol, that's my post on 3D Hubs - glad it helped you out! Would love to see your Marvin though -can you post a picture?

I print PLA at 70 bed temp because when I have tried going lower I always end up having adhesion problems. And yes, I could probably have printed cooler... :cool:

lol

• Like 1

Lol, that's my post on 3D Hubs - glad it helped you out! Would love to see your Marvin though -can you post a picture?

I print PLA at 70 bed temp because when I have tried going lower I always end up having adhesion problems. And yes, I could probably have printed cooler... :cool:

Thank you so much for your guide. Arnoldas linked me your post ;)

(The Marvin on the left is the better print using kvones' settings)

Here is my hub (5 stars thanks to you :D) https://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/craftee

e38cbf2ab2b7e1df7e07f555207f5da2.jpg

2d1c5ef5b45105aa921d188bca4d0e41.jpg

13332eca0aa4d2cb36598d0c55a64994.jpgfa2a8bedfb08700eadfdcc907fb013d7.jpg

Your Marvin looks great!

Glad to help - and great you got a 5* rating. Happy Hubbing! :cool:

Yup when printing something small like Marvin you want all your speeds to be the same,

I would modify this slightly and say "when you want best possible quality you want to minimize or eliminate sudden speed changes".  Having bottom layer slower is not an issue.  The problem will only last for about 1/2 second or less from when the speed change occurrs.

Lots of people print 100mm/sec no problem but you don't get nearly as good quality.  It depends if you are making artwork or merely something functional.  In fact if you don't care so much about quality but do care about speed then it's also good to use a larger nozzle.  A .8mm nozzle prints 4 times faster.

Hi George, yes your correction is absolutely right. I just assume (bad :)) that everyone prints layer 1 slow at 20mm/s so took that as a given :).

Yes over the past few months I have been using the .8 nozzle where a pristine finish is not needed, it sure makes a difference! Not sure how it would go with something as small as Marvin though.