Strange issue with really bad infill

Posted · Strange issue with really bad infill

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0omauD4yWkMWk91RUhXdFNSNVFodUR6RlhCM0hDUDJtNzk4/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0omauD4yWkMMEYzRHhCNkpGbXZsSWtfeURmZ2ZCMUJrMVpF/view

Can someone tell me, does this look like I'm having a problem with my azteeg3x controller board getting hot?

The first picture is the bottom first few layers, but after that I end up with the second picture which looks like it just decided to haphazardly put infill where ever.

It crazy because it prefectly prints small test cubes or geometrics shapes, and also the cura test robot print. But large prints it fails.

I dont have a fan on my controller board, but i do have all of the aluminum heat sinks

Any Ideas?

It looks like your Z axis is moving too far such that the first layer is perfect, the second layer might be a little too high but close enough but by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th layer it is laying down plastic in air and dropping it down onto the part.

Alternatively it could be moving the E axis "not enough" but those traces look nice and fat to me. Did you use Cura in "ultigcode" mode or "reprap" mode (machine settings). And did you tell Cura the proper filament diameter? It's easier to screw up Extruder amounts in Cura but it sure looks more like a Z issue like you have a jumper wrong and the Z axis is moving twice as far as it should.

Well, I did "Calibrate" the Z-axis in Marlin firmware and it seemed to move pretty accurately. Such that a 10mm movement signal would cause it to move 10.08mm. I have repurposed Repicator2x, basically my Repicator 2x destroyed it self so I rewired it using an Azteeg board. I had to replace a bunch of 24v stuff for 12v but otherwise it's still got all the same motion control items in it. IE Steppers, drive mechanisms and such.

On another note, a I have printed a few tall objects such, really small things. Such as a 5mm cylinder that is 2 inches tall.

And the Cura test robot print.

So i'm pretty sure z-axis is working at least with enough accuracy that it can print things as tall as 2 inches.

I printed a test print that had multiple geometric shapes and was about 1/2 inch deep. It finished printing but had serious layering issues and most of the shapes looked like they were drawn by a 3 year old.

I have printed the same part in the picture about 10 times with various software including Slicer, using prontface, as well as Cura and both of the had the same results. So i'm sure it's more likely my hardware but the only thing I can think of that would cause a "delayed" error that was not related to the axis is heat. I am not 100% sure the extruder temps are correct because I dont have a great way to mount my thermsistor so it's essentially stuck in a whole in the extruder block. but it has not been sealed in any way.

But just the same, thanks for your suggestion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0omauD4yWkMcDVnSDliMGVlVlh2RU1MeU14SHptUG1HTnAw/view?usp=sharing

Here is an example of some successes.

Both of them were printed as they stand.

For my cura settings, I'm using Marlin firmware so I'm pretty sure it's RepRap Gcode. Also I have a 0.04mm extruder (at least thats what I ordered when I bought the nozzle) And I am using 1.75mm filament and thats what I set in the settings. I will say that they cylinder i printed which was supposed to measure 2 inches was a bit off, however i contributed that to me speeding up the print and shrinkage.

So , I just test printed a precision block, and your absolutely right, I took a flash light and squatted and watched it at close inspection and I could see the print head was at least 2x the thickness of the extruded filament above the part. I guess I will read up more on z-axis adjustment.

It's just very strange, because it seems like other things print perfectly , such as the robot and cylinder? as well as a set of test blocks that I printed.

Any advice?

1) Check the gcodes - maybe cura is stupidly calibrating your Z axis. I think I saw that once somewhere. I dont' know where the hell it would come from. Maybe the start.gcodes tab.

2) Install and run pronterface -- it's free from here:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Then hookup usb cable to your printer and move the Z axis and see if the bed moves the correct distance. For example you could tape paper or a ruler to the side of your machine just touching the edge of the bed, make a mark, then move 10mm.

Thanks for the advice, Gr5. i actually do use pronterface, I have used it several times.

Last night I calibrated my z-axis using a micrometer gauge that I had previously printed and adapter 4 which basically, let me calibrated it down to a few 100ths of a millimeter. It's pretty damn on point right now. When I say move 1mm it moves between 1.003 mm +/- 0.008 mm I cant get it much better than that. this printer is actually a year or two old and so i'm sure there is enough wear and tear that i'm not gonna get it calibrated to much more precise than that.

Interestingly enough both Cura and Prontface have printed the parts with that strange issue , (which is one reason i suspect hardware more than software)

Essentially the micrometer is attached to the guide rails for the extruder , so its easy to calibrated the z-axis just by moving the print bed up to just touching the micrometer, zero out the meter and then step the bed up 1mm and read the distance.

I then used a formula on

Triffids Hunters Calibration Guide which is something like

New Steps = OldSteps * (distance Desired / Distance Traveled)

That formula lets you set your steps in marlin software.

I'll do another test print tonight and see if I get better results.

Thanks Again for your advice.

I have tried manythings already but at least you guys are confirming some of my efforts. This is the first time I have reached out for any advice. I'm typically pretty good at solving my own problems but this has eluded me for a bit so i figured i would seek advice.

So I just did another test print and it's SOOOOOO much better after the z-axis calibration. I believe my problem is in my assumption that I have it calibrated well. It's still a bit confusing because it doesnt have an issue printing some things but other things it messes up on.

So I think my next step is going to be to REALLLY REALLY spend a good amount of energy getting the X , Y and Extruder amounts. These things are all things that I calibrated before, but perhaps my level of calibration was not sufficient.

thanks again!