UM2 Teflon Replacement Test!

Posted · UM2 Teflon Replacement Test!

Hi Swordriff

Have you seen my last email about the tests I did? PLA/PHA, Carbon fiber PLA or FilaFlex don't work normally. Underextrusion in every case. I hear a lot of tension in the feeder.

Hi Swordriff

Have you seen my last email about the tests I did? PLA/PHA, Carbon fiber PLA or FilaFlex don't work normally. Underextrusion in every case. I hear a lot of tension in the feeder.

I'm with you there @pm_dude hopefully the new IPM will be better that swordriff has sent out. really want this IPM to work :)

I had a fail with ColorFabb XT-CF20 to but there was no retractions at the failure point at all. The print was a 10" tablet case layer flat that failed just before it got to the walls.

I'm going to give the ColorFabb XT-CF20 another go soon on a more challenging print.

It might be worth mentioning that I print with a lot of ninja flex which I always oil pre feeder. Consequently there is almost always a small pool of oil around the Teflon isolator even when not using ninjaflex.

Now I don't know the implications of this on clogs but I don't really get them.

Could it be worth someone else trying to print with a material that that know they will have issues with and run a small amount of oil along the filament pre feeder?

Update on the ColorFabb XT-CF20

Had another go with the XT-CF20 only to see under extrusion once again. However this time I sat and watched in fail. The print was solid so very little retraction. I did manage to recover it by increasing the temp to 260C! (yes I know!) and reducing the fans down to 50%. The temp change didn't have any noticeable effect on the print though.

The actual nozzle temp was at set point (250C) prior to under extrusion.

Material - ColorFabb XT-CF20

Total Print time - 4h

Max print per model - 7h

Nozzle type - 0.5mm (E3D)

Temp - 250C

Speed - 50mm/s

Retraction/No retraction - Yes

Time to fail - 2.5h

FIX for fail - Increase temp and lower fan speed.

@Swordriff I fitted the second IPM and it looks like it does not like heavy retractions, in the picture you can see under extrusion on the elephant, Next to it is a 30mmx30mm cube with zero retractions and it has printed perfect no under extrusion at all..

I have included a link to the file so you can download and zoom in to see better...

5a330d3f9343b_2015-05-0212_00_58.thumb.jpg.fef960858af92fe485cbd58b4a8b5158.jpg

Download picture

5a330d3f9343b_2015-05-0212_00_58.thumb.jpg.fef960858af92fe485cbd58b4a8b5158.jpg

Just in case someone it's interested, Titanium TC5 coated with tungsten disulfide ws2 don't work. The pla sticks to it like glue and jams in 10-15mins. On the other side, the heat outside the peek (tested on umo+) goes from 150-160 externally to 105-110C. Expensive test, but worth the try :D

• Like 1

Just in case someone it's interested, Titanium TC5 coated with tungsten disulfide ws2 don't work. The pla sticks to it like glue and jams in 10-15mins. On the other side, the heat outside the peek (tested on umo+) goes from 150-160 externally to 105-110C. Expensive test, but worth the try :D

I wonder if it works for PC and ABS, would be good to try it on high temp plastics.

Small update. The titanium had a desviation of the inner angle. Ok after a heavy test the pla did not stick. It can be removed by just pushing it. It will take me another 2 weeks or so to have a proper prototype but yeah tugsten coating makes pla to not stick. I'll post videos and temperature screens when I get the propper prototype.

Been printing with polyflex all day today and an 18h print running now. There's reasonable retractions. So far it's working great.

I'm using the first Teflon replacement.

This polyflex has to be one of the best most printable flexible filaments I've used.

Posted (edited) · UM2 Teflon Replacement Test!

Well the titanium heat break with tungsten disulfide has been a huge fail.

I have some videos if someone interested but they are 25-30mins long and very boring XD

In short. Using UMO heat and a titanium TC5 WS2 coated. First 15-30secs it extrude fine, then the pla expands really fast making a jam. I tested this feeding the pla manualy without the bowden and with the bowden. In both cases the force to push the filament to extrude become too much to be able to push it. Going to 260C the force lowers but still isn't practical vs common brass heat break.

The weird think it's that after cooling everything and checking the heat break the inside was easy removed by pulling it. At least the first 6 times, then it was really 'glued' inside. I think the ws2 coating tents to get scratches that leave room for the pla to stick to the titanium. Also the heat it's really weird. It's like the heat don't go up. And while this sounds 'good' it isn't because the pla on the upper parts only goes to 120C (I did 2 days tests of 2-3h assembling and disassembling the head) recording with a thermal camera to see the heat.

So the ws2 coating tents to be erased/scratched off by the preassure of the pla expanding around the inner hole and the heat of the titanium does not work with the standard setup.

Probably a much shorter titanium could even work, but after a week of trying I give up :D

There's a guy in uk that made me the titanium test, he craft so nicely and also very cheap (being titanium a expensive alloy)

PA050035.thumb.JPG.8eb92e494e99c63b36c79a62c37e8860.JPG

And this is with the coating (blueish color) inside the peek

IMG_4803.thumb.JPG.2795e8d78abce5bdd6fa502e3723e102.JPG

The guy that made the part it's Pete Lidster, he does custom titanium parts for motorbikes and he it's a really really talented guy.

Note. I did the tests with a 2mm heat break, because I use 1.75mm filament, probably with 3mm it might work better the coating since it might have more 'room' to be better applied.

Coating 20 titanium heat breaks costs around 70-80 GBP but some companies ask for 250GBP for a batch.

I got the coating from http://www.ws2.co.uk (Pete helped me to find the company that did it).

Also if anyone interested I uploaded one of the test videos to youtube, It has no audio and it's 17mins long (boring) but you can see the general idea of the problems.

Video Link:

On the video you will see the titanium with a cheap peek, because I broke the 'cool' one from ultimaker.

PA050035.thumb.JPG.8eb92e494e99c63b36c79a62c37e8860.JPG

IMG_4803.thumb.JPG.2795e8d78abce5bdd6fa502e3723e102.JPG

Edited by Guest

I tired the IPM with Ultimaker PLA. Low temps with a quite a few retractions and it failed straight away and had to change back.

Quick update.

Been using the new IPM for some time now and haven't noticed any improvement. But I wasn't experiencing any real problems before. The new IPM is still in my machine being used every day.

Posted (edited) · UM2 Teflon Replacement Test!

Did you anodize the titanium?

Edited by Guest

I tired the IPM with Ultimaker PLA. Low temps with a quite a few retractions and it failed straight away and had to change back.

It doesn't work with PLA

I'd offer to test it with nGen and waxes in addition to PLA/PHA but based on the results I see here the current version of the IPM liner to replace the PTFE one is a failure already.