Skeinforge_PyPy for windows!

Daid

Posted · Skeinforge_PyPy for windows!

Could be that. I'll try do use the tools while monitoring my system resources. This machine has a: mobile AMD Athlon XP2800+ 960Mb Ram.

I don't want you to chase your tail trying to make your stuff work for me on this old hardware. It would be nice if it could work, but not if it requires an inordinate effort.

I think I'll install the package on another machine. Save out the Gcode and use the pronter on the old laptop. That way I'll get the advantage of the faster machine, and your presets, but still print in a remote location with the laptop.

The "AMD Athlon XP2800" is a "Socket A-based CPU" so it's lacking SSE2 instructions. It's also a 10 year old CPU.

It is possible to get PyPy running on a machine with SSE2, but they don't provide precompiled packages for it. And it requires a very heavy machine to compile it, and some special tricks.

If you just want to use the presets, the Alpha4 falls back to normal python if it cannot find pypy. So if you rename the pypy folder and slice then you won't get the speed benefit, but it will still work.

EDIT:

https://bugs.pypy.org/issue1068

There will be a better error message, instead of a crash for the next PyPy version. Atleast your effort will help other users! :)

The Mac OSx version is not that user friendly yet, as you'll need to install Python and PySerial yourself.

As I don't have a Mac, and don't have any experience with it, it's kinda hard for me to tell you what to do. But bbum got it working. He made a slight different packed version:

https://github.com/bbum/SkeinPyPy/downloads

with a startup script.

Hi Daid and everyone,

This is great! I just started using SkeinPyPy and Printrun and works perfect. Moving from replicator G to standalone SF used to be quite daunting, but this software package makes it so easy!

I just finished an 8 hour print and it went fine. I do have some questions about a few settings. You mentioned that "Perimeter width over thickness (ratio)" is changed into "Perimeter width", but I can't find it anywhere in SF48. Is this setting gone? Or has the name been changed again?

PrintRun does not support live tuning right?

Cheers,

Gijs

"Perimeter width" has been renamed to "edge width". So that explains why you don't see the setting. It's in the Carve plugin.

But I'm working on a whole new User Interface. "Edge width" is actually gone here. There is "wall thickness" now, this combined with the nozzle size (0.4mm) it calculates the amount of lines to lay down and how thick those need to be.

Screenshot-SkeinPyPy-3.png

Which will look a bit like this. Which will make it even more usable :) Each option has a popup with explanation what the option does once you have the cursor on it. It also contains validation which will warn you if you enter something "stupid".

As you see it also allows you to slice multiple models at the same time.

Looks really nice Daid. I like that you renamed the parameters into understandable terms that actually tell the user something of the effect it will have on the print. The information is also nicely framed in the various tabs.

In the normal SF when lowering or increasing the layerheigt I needed to adjust 'perimeter over width' in carve and fill tab and ofcourse the amount of solid layers. Since perimeter over width is gone what other parameters need attention in SkeinPyPy when changing the layerheight? Only the solid layers?

I'm asking because the print I did yesterday was at 0.3 mm layerheight. I noticed in the end that the printed lines could have been squashed out a bit more. What should I do in this case? increase the edge width?

You don't need to change anything but the layer height. That's the idea why I changed the ratio into an absolute. You can change the amount of solid layers, at 0.2mm layers I didn't have problems with 3 solid layers, at 0.1mm layers I needed a few more. But indeed, that's the only change you need to make.

0.3mm layers are not really recommended IMHO. I had lots of problems with 0.3mm layers not sticking to eachother. While 0.2mm layers could be printed almost as fast and created a much better result. Your dimension settings might be slightly off if the lines are not width enough, or the M92 Exxx value is wrong for your machine. This requires some calibration. I hope to provide a wizard for later in the SkeinPyPy development to guide you trough the steps needed to calibrate the M92 E value.

"Perimeter width" has been renamed to "edge width". So that explains why you don't see the setting. It's in the Carve plugin.

But I'm working on a whole new User Interface. "Edge width" is actually gone here. There is "wall thickness" now, this combined with the nozzle size (0.4mm) it calculates the amount of lines to lay down and how thick those need to be.

Screenshot-SkeinPyPy-3.png

Which will look a bit like this. Which will make it even more usable :) Each option has a popup with explanation what the option does once you have the cursor on it. It also contains validation which will warn you if you enter something "stupid".

As you see it also allows you to slice multiple models at the same time.

Hi Daid, it looks awesome. When can we test a beta version?

I can make time for that

I still need to fix a few issues and add a few features. I hope to get a beta out pretty soon.

EDIT:

https://github.com/daid/SkeinPyPy/downloads

Beta uploaded there. It's far from a finished product, but it should be usable.

I hope to provide a wizard for later in the SkeinPyPy development to guide you trough the steps needed to calibrate the M92 E value.

My hat is off to you Daid and your projects. I don't presume tell you much if anything. If I am off base, tell me if so. I have a suggestion for a method to fine tune an extruder pitch diameter constant.

It depends on your volume algorithms that relate width, speed, thickness, extruder speed. I am suggesting that a gcode is generated to print an array of threads, each a straight line. Each thread would have all variables fixed with the exception being the extruder speed. Each thread would correspond to a certain E92 value. After the print is completed, the threads get measured. Whichever thread is closest to a target width would be selected. Possibly 2 or 3 tests would need to be ran to begin with rather coarse adjustment ranges and finish with a fine tune. Using a method that is directly derived from print results would be better than attempting to calculate/estimate the effective pitch diameter of a knurled diameter pressing with an unknown force against the filament, and an unknown filament durometer.

It is given that the extruder head would have to be at a known height from the print bed prior to testing. I am going to start another thread on this. As a beginner at printing, I have had some difficulty related to the nozzle height.

Thanks for your dedication to the cause Daid.

Matt

Actually, the method for calibrating the E value is putting a line on your bowden tube, move the filament to that spot, ask the printer to move the filament 100mm, and measure the distance it actually moved. Make adjustments, and repeat if required.

Well, I must admit much simpler than what I was thinking.

Thanks Daid, this worked really well for me (new builder). Especially like the bat file to update to Marlin. The only parameter I needed to change was temperature in Printrun. I was definitely soared the initial horror of Skeinforge and can now deal with that at my leisure.

Dave.

Quick question: Is there a way (or will there be) a way of changing the orientation of the stl model on the build platform? I am really not sure how to handle this in Printrun, whereas it is obvious in Rep

licator G.

Currently there isn't an orientation option, you can move it around with the centerX/centerY options in SkeinPyPy. But you cannot rotate or scale it yet.

Ok, thanks. I just change orientation in Rep G, save, then load into Printrun for Skein PyPy. It's still faster.

Ok, thanks. I just change orientation in Rep G, save, then load into Printrun for Skein PyPy. It's still faster.

I'm not yet sure where to put the "model editing" yet. I can do the same thing as RepG, which is modifying the STL file itself. Or I can add rotate/scale as parameters to the slicer. Both have advantages/disadvantages...

Hi Daid!

I want to start with a big thank you for SkeinPyPy! A great little neat package that does the job really well!

There is just one thing that that I wounder.

Both top and bottom gets sealed (100% fill) if i slice it with RepG, but only the bottom gets filled if i slice it with SkeinPyPy Beta2.

Is there o known bug or something i missed? (I printed with 30% fill)

/Niclas

It might be related to the advanced config, open the advanced config window and check if the "Solid infill top" is set to "True". Because setting that to false removes the solid top.

Hi,

I've downloaded and followed all the steps involved. I can get the new version of SkeinPyPy to load and open an STL file but when I try to slice into Gcode I get an error.

!?! something went wrong during the slicing

Any ideas? I'd really like to get this up and running, i like the interface.

Thanks Mike

That's a bug in PyPy (doesn't always happen, depends on the model). If you rename the PyPy folder it will use Python to slice, which will be as slow as Skeinforge, but you will get the new interface. Beta3 will solve this issue, and hopefully will be out later today.