• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · general forum feedback

@sandervg

it's been a few months and you have "solved" the search issues.

Any progress on the disconnect between the point system and badges? This was one of the main stated reasons for changing the whole world upside down, was it not?

@SandervG can you also check the points awarded, seems like there is a disconnect somewhere.

On this particular page you can read more about how you can grow in points and thus levels.

Great page thanks for highlighting it. How do points and levels correspond? That info might be helpful too. Like is 1 level=50 points? or does it change as they go up?

ALSO

when I recently received some badges I did not get the points shown on this page. For example on my points page i can see when I received the "forum superstar" I only got 50 points not 100 like the page says. and "guest blog contributor" was only 20 points and (i may be wrong) I think that must be that same as "community author" which should be 100 points.

Not that this is more important than finally removing the search and pointing everyone to use google to search which is the sensible thing to do. :p

I just thought if you are interested in promoting the badge and ranking system, then it should be clear and work as advertised.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

What is it exactly what you mean by 'solved', in regard to the search? Is it not working for you yet? As far as I know, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the search works pretty good now.

About the badge system, regardless of how high I try to push the community, sometimes I have to admit it is also a part within Ultimaker, just as many others. We have only one team of developers and in this context, it means that sometimes the planning is being altered and some plans are given priority over other plans.

Currently, the team is doing some needed maintenance to the site (and have been for a little bit longer) and fixing large parts of the code (I am not a developer myself so I can't really go in depth here.)

This has a large priority over other things if we want to have a healthy website which is ready for the future.

Maybe you have experienced it, but in the beginning of the week we made some 'improvements' to the site, and this resulted in some unexpected bugs to the forums. There are some 500 errors, and I know some users have some difficulties posting replies or new topics. Which is pretty bad for a forum..

On top of the existing workload to do the maintenance, they are now also busy trying to reproduce these bugs and fix them. This all accumulates to, among other things, the badges which was once pretty high on the agenda, to be pushed back.

To get more in depth on the badge topic, there is a proposal with our designer in regard of the new badges, what they are suppose to look like. Maybe you don't really care about it, but I don't think they should take much longer.

Applying them will be mostly manual work for me. So until it is automated (that timeline is unclear for now), I will try to be as conclusive as possible and appoint badges and points to everyone who deserves them! If I miss something, by all means, send me a line or tag me, and I will come to the rescue!

Not ideal, but I am trying to row with the oars that are given to me..

- by the way, the points should now match the badges, don't they?

Hi Mark,

What is it exactly what you mean by 'solved', in regard to the search? Is it not working for you yet? As far as I know, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the search works pretty good now.

About the badge system, regardless of how high I try to push the community, sometimes I have to admit it is also a part within Ultimaker, just as many others. We have only one team of developers and in this context, it means that sometimes the planning is being altered and some plans are given priority over other plans.

Currently, the team is doing some needed maintenance to the site (and have been for a little bit longer) and fixing large parts of the code (I am not a developer myself so I can't really go in depth here.)

This has a large priority over other things if we want to have a healthy website which is ready for the future.

Maybe you have experienced it, but in the beginning of the week we made some 'improvements' to the site, and this resulted in some unexpected bugs to the forums. There are some 500 errors, and I know some users have some difficulties posting replies or new topics. Which is pretty bad for a forum..

On top of the existing workload to do the maintenance, they are now also busy trying to reproduce these bugs and fix them. This all accumulates to, among other things, the badges which was once pretty high on the agenda, to be pushed back.

To get more in depth on the badge topic, there is a proposal with our designer in regard of the new badges, what they are suppose to look like. Maybe you don't really care about it, but I don't think they should take much longer.

Applying them will be mostly manual work for me. So until it is automated (that timeline is unclear for now), I will try to be as conclusive as possible and appoint badges and points to everyone who deserves them! If I miss something, by all means, send me a line or tag me, and I will come to the rescue!

500 errors posting... please revert to before update

Also, I dislike the blue balloon with 0 notifications. A blue balloon = notifications for me. Now I find myself clicking it and being disappointed :(

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

The trick is to reply to someone, rather than posting something new in a topic I believe.

Test test

Hi Mark,

The trick is to reply to someone, rather than posting something new in a topic I believe.

Test test

confirmed. Quoting works!

BLAME THE SPAMMERS ON 500

Apparently the 500 error is because of a new spam filter which is great for me because there were like 100 spams per day. But apparently *every* post goes through the filter instead of just ones by new users. And the spam filtering service is a separate web service and if it takes one second too long I guess we get the 500 error. So this should hopefully be easy to fix.

BUT WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE DAMN SPAMMERS

@Titus, haven't heard from you in a while. Was starting to get worried ;)

How have you been?

Alright, I'll see how easy it is to only show a blue bubble when there are notifications and no bubble if there is nothing. I guess the blue bubble catching your eye works best if it is not always there. For the time being.. the '0' that is in it, could also be an indication for the amount of new replies waiting for you ;)

--

And overall I wished that we would not have trait one annoying thing for another, how about no spam, and no errors?

Anyway, after a passionate discussion, it has given top priority to fix. So I am hoping on a sunny day tomorrow with a blue sky. Sky. No more blue screens.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

@Titus, haven't heard from you in a while. Was starting to get worried ;)

How have you been?

Alright, I'll see how easy it is to only show a blue bubble when there are notifications and no bubble if there is nothing. I guess the blue bubble catching your eye works best if it is not always there. For the time being.. the '0' that is in it, could also be an indication for the amount of new replies waiting for you ;)

--

And overall I wished that we would not have trait one annoying thing for another, how about no spam, and no errors?

Anyway, after a passionate discussion, it has given top priority to fix. So I am hoping on a sunny day tomorrow with a blue sky. Sky. No more blue screens.

Multiple things, mainly study though. Currently looking into jobs to see what I'd like to do when I'm finished around May ;)

I haven't been printing for a while now, I do open the forums everyday, but only to follow topics I was following before, no new topics. Still available for opinions on things though.

Just keeping up with some discussion on cores and nozzles. The developments in 3d printing land still interest me ;)

It used to be without blue balloon though Sander, so it should be easy to revert ;)

Long replies lost due to errors bring back sad memories :(

Edited by Guest

+1 million for this ;)

This change is a huge step backwards in accessibility...as it was never there before unless you had unread notifications.

For people without perfect eye vision the fact that there is now always a blue bubble with a tiny number 0 (that is very hard to see) for no new notifications make that blue bubble irrelevant. Now it always looks like there are new notifications :(

• Like 4

I think the blue screen comes when you are above the address, e.g. "Https://ultimaker.com/en/community/36095-z-achse-fallt-ab-z-switch-broken?page=1#unread" (Marked black) Reply!

This address "Https://ultimaker.com/en/community/36095-z-achse-fallt-ab-z-switch-broken" then worked!

EDIT:

Same behave here, with "?Page=58" == error, without working!

Edited by Guest

Yep, that's what I always do: delete the question mark and everything after, submit the page and eventually post...

+1 million for this ;)

This change is a huge step backwards in accessibility...as it was never there before unless you had unread notifications.

I don't understand why one would change this intentionally... If it is the result of a bug, sure, fine, I hope you find it :) But if it is design, why on earth :p?

I don't think it was done intentionally. I do know I was not part of the decision...

It would be a strange manifest of a bug but hell.. I think we have seen stranger things..

BTW, that "transparent floating bar" on mobile devices is very annoying.

IMG_0015.thumb.PNG.19ccbd4dbbff083d3a34ddf047668c29.PNG

(I mean the " <- Dashboard" ->" thing)

IMG_0015.thumb.PNG.19ccbd4dbbff083d3a34ddf047668c29.PNG

Edited by Guest

... and while I am at complaining...

Depending on the size of you browser window, the "Mark as read | Layout settings | Save filter X" menu appears left or right.

This is very disturbing if you frequently switch from one environment to another as it does not provide a consistent user interface...

5a33275fef785_ScreenShot2017-02-17at13_52_28.thumb.png.2b9ff250b72ce33dfbe271e0aa78b0b7.png

5a3327603c61d_ScreenShot2017-02-17at13_53_01.thumb.png.f7a84fa0498acd708e970804d388a748.png

5a33275fef785_ScreenShot2017-02-17at13_52_28.thumb.png.2b9ff250b72ce33dfbe271e0aa78b0b7.png

5a3327603c61d_ScreenShot2017-02-17at13_53_01.thumb.png.f7a84fa0498acd708e970804d388a748.png

I just tried the "mobile experience" and...I don't know what to say... :p

Firstly it was not obvious how to login...and a lot of "elements" that works on the desktop, is still present in the mobile view, but you can't use them (like checkmarks in the notification list).

And in the top-level list I can't see which post (of the few that are listed in each section) that have unread posts.

Edited by Guest

Yeah I noticed the same thing, if you have to log in again (as I almost always have to from my iPhone) There's a lot of very long pauses and a painful experience.

I don't think it was done intentionally. I do know I was not part of the decision...

Good to know!

Also (minor) thing: When you click the magnifying glass to search, I'd expect type focus in the search bar so I can type. Now I have to click in the type bar too.

Also I noticed that when you use your right and left arrowkeys the menu bar moves left and right, quite annoying when type somewhere on the site.

Oh and see my PM regarding the job offers page and UM User integration :p

What is it exactly what you mean by 'solved', in regard to the search? Is it not working for you yet?

Sorry for any confusion here. I am over joyed you are using google now, so many of us had been asking for that for years. In the past I said having a working search was much more important than the point system/gamification. So now I was hoping since the search bugs were solved/resolved this might mean the developers could work on getting the point system functional.

Not yet, the errors I listed in my post are still an issue.

when I recently received some badges I did not get the points shown on this page. For example on my points page i can see when I received the "forum superstar" I only got 50 points not 100 like the page says. and "guest blog contributor" was only 20 points and (i may be wrong) I think that must be that same as "community author" which should be 100 points.

Not that this is more important than finally removing the search and pointing everyone to use google to search which is the sensible thing to do. :p

Any News when the Bug with next page in sub forums gets adressed?

This is really annoying.

@sandervg

Seriosly...this forum is, and has been for more than one week, unusable unless you want to read only the most recent posts :( If you can't keep your own software working maybe it's time to bite the bullet and use third-party software proven to work.

• Like 3

Btw, have you ever tried to use this forum from a mobile device?

It is impossible to know which threads you have or have not read in the mobile view...it all looks the same.

• Like 1

It's hard to log into, the screen refreshes a lot

And under "Community" there is no link for Forum

Any News when the Bug with next page in sub forums gets adressed?

This is really annoying.

@sandervg

Seriosly...this forum is, and has been for more than one week, unusable unless you want to read only the most recent posts :(If you can't keep your own software working maybe it's time to bite the bullet and use third-party software proven to work.

Fast-forward almost 2 months and this is still not addressed... :(

• Like 2