general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

Btw, have you ever tried to use this forum from a mobile device?

Tablet is OK (Although the change in look & feel is very annoying if you often change from device as I already mentioned)

Phone is just good enough to check a post, but nothing more than that...

Fast-forward almost 2 months and this is still not addressed... :(

My understanding is that this thread is just here to vent and get our frustrations out, not to address real problems. Search is broken, navigation is broken, you loose your replies to posts, user interface is questionable, ... all these have been flagged months ago but apparently nobody cares enough to fix these.

On the bright side the community (I mean the people) is great, this is probably why we are still around against all odds...

• Like 3

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the bright side the community (I mean the people) is great, this is probably why we are still around against all odds...

True...and there is a lot of good stuff here...otherwise I would not come here so frequently...but you have to jump through hoops to find it :(

• Like 2

My understanding is that this thread is just here to vent and get our frustrations out, not to address real problems. Search is broken, navigation is broken, you loose your replies to posts, user interface is questionable, ... all these have been flagged months ago but apparently nobody cares enough to fix these.

Well said!

We have replaced the search a few months ago into google search. I have heard a lot of positive feedback about this since. @Amedee, if you have not tried it I would like to invite you and give it a try. Let me know what you think.

In regard of navigation/pagination, that is also a point of annoyance to me and have repeatedly requested a fix. It is pretty high on the 'real' to do list now, so I expect some progress in this regard soon (like around 2/3 weeks). Of course I'll let you know when it has been fixed. Our apologies that it took so long to get addressed.

Happy to hear you still like the people though, and hopefully you keep the feedback coming!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note...something I discovered and might apply to others...

I went into my Notification Settings and figured out why I wasn't receiving alerts on 3D Prints I had posted. They were off :) Maybe a default setting?

Now that I have those set to my preferences (immediate and email), I am not being alerted to when someone comments (or likes) a 3D Print I have posted

I think your Google search is the "light" version

Google search : 69 results

https://www.google.fr/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:ultimaker.com+interdiffusion

Ultimaker Google search : 15 results

https://ultimaker.com/search?search=interdiffusion

Thanks, let me look into this!
    • Like 1

Well, the obvious answer is that our google search engine is differently configured than the 'real' google. What I see is that on the 'real' google, it also shows hits from 'popular pages' and the 'people' section. Where our search is in this case only from the forum. If I add /en/community the 'real' google search is also being reduced to 28 hits (which is still more than 15).

I'll ask our dev who implemented it if he can pinpoint the difference in configuration.

But the real question is.. did you find what you were looking for using the forum's google search? ;)

I never use the site search

For me the search works fine now since it is Google-based.

But I could imagine that searching through the manuals and help-section too would be useful, not only the forum. For example if someone wants to know how to replace a teflon coupler.

For me the search works fine now since it is Google-based.

But I could imagine that searching through the manuals and help-section too would be useful, not only the forum. For example if someone wants to know how to replace a teflon coupler.

If I search for replace PTFE the first hit is a resource page that tells you how to disassemble the hot end. If I search for replace teflon, it is the second hit.

In regard of the search result difference; apparently there is a limit in the google search API that restricts how much data you receive back after a query. This restriction may vary, perhaps depending on the exact search, time of search or something else. Our dev's were not sure, asked google (earlier already) but have not heard back yet.

• Like 1

If I search for replace PTFE the first hit is a resource page that tells you how to disassemble the hot end. If I search for replace teflon, it is the second hit.

Yes indeed, you are right; I just tried it now.

I had not tried this when writing my previous post, but since you said earlier that it only searched the forum, I had simply *assumed* it would not search the manuals. My bad. So everything is okay for me. :)

• Like 1

Why am I being redirected to this page?

"elb-v2-prod-615036279.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com"

Every time I sign out, and at a few links.

Google Chrome says it is not a secure connection

Hi @Zerspaner_gerd, thank you for your message.

We recently migrated our website to different servers, so it would be faster for all our global users. In some parts of the world it was not equally fast all the time.

Did you notice any difference, since last week?

Unfortunately, we have not completely left the migration behind us. The link you are referring too is the result of an issue with our DNS records. It should be fixed in the next few days, but is rather annoying nonetheless. Our apologies for the inconvenience. If you would close the tab and open it again you should be where you wanted to be.

As a side note, the same referral is included when you 'share' a post. Note that you can replace everything from 'elb...' until .com with 'ultimaker', and the link should be fine.

Lately I'm having problems logging out, my brouse (edge) is telling me this is an unsecure web sight and hangs, and one else having this issue Oh and its windows 10.

explorer don't work anymore give 3mins and then it crashes.

for me both the forum as well as youmagine is horribly slow.. every action takes about 5 to 10 seconds.. youmagine just times out with searches and downloads..

Same...slower.

I wouldn't use Microsoft Edge...never liked the Microsoft Browsers. Just Chrome and Firefox for me.

I wish the animated home page would go away.

Initial forum page load (https://ultimaker.com/en/community) is more than 30 secs for me...almost so bad that you start thinking that the site is dead.

After the initial page load it seems slightly better, or at least not worse, than before summer.

Overall verdict...the site feels worse now than it did before summer :(

In order to provide hard facts, here a result for the Ultimaker website by webpagetest.org. This service tests loading times of any website from a location of your choice (I've chosen Strassbourg in France as it is one of the closest to my place) and it is recommended by Google.

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/170808_CV_QW9/

Lately I'm having problems logging out, my brouse (edge) is telling me this is an unsecure web sight and hangs, and one else having this issue Oh and its windows 10.

explorer don't work anymore give 3mins and then it crashes.

Thank you bob for the feedback. (Un)fortunately, it has nothing to do with your browser. This problem lies on our side/site. It had to do with the DNS configuration that went bad after the migration. The team is aware of it, and are working on a solution. The estimation was that it should be fixed around these days, sooner the better. If you log out, close the tab, and reopen it you should be 'just logged out'. But ofcourse, this work around should not be necessary.

Our apologies for the inconvenience!

@nilrog, I can't even load that page. It takes over 60 seconds. But the rest of the site loads in around 2/3 seconds.

Hopefully, I will have some good news to share with you all soon.. (!)

Thanks

SandervG I knew it was nothing to do with my browser (edge) it has only been effecting me in the last 14 day, thanks for the head up though.

the speed is really horrible..

homepage to forum takes about 30 seconds.. clicking on forum topics is 20 seconds easy..