ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

In my life I have many questions.

Are we alone in the universe ?

My wife loves me ?

after oil , what new energy ?

Why my son is like the postman ?

The earth is round ?

There is another man in the life of my wife ? The Postman ?

But today I have only one question in mind :

What is this  " 8)" ?

After many investigations and research , here is my conclusion.

Anthony-Davis-monosourcil.jpg

it's the smiley " black mamba " !

Now, I have 3 questions to the designer :

When to use this smiley ?

Do you take drugs ?

You know my wife ?

++

Edited by Guest
  • Like 8

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sander, can you share forum statistics? I'm very interested to see how heavy this new "forum" is used as compared toi the old one.

I picked some numbers from webarchive: http://web.archive.org/web/20150316054047/http://umforum.ultimaker.com/

Old_vs_new_forum.thumb.png.d31e510a72473370ba4e23ccee055057.png

If someone write down the numbers from the community page every now and then and we can all easily determine how popular the new forum is compared to the old one (assuming the spam problem is solved, of course).

I wonder what has happened to the ~50k posts that are gone after the migration by the way.. (?)

Old_vs_new_forum.thumb.png.d31e510a72473370ba4e23ccee055057.png

Edited by Guest

Posted · general forum feedback

Hello All,

My first post regarding the new forum. I just wanted to wait and see if things are still changing and how I would feel about it after a while. I am a relatively new member of the community and have only been posting for a few months. However, I loved the old forum, and visited at least 2-3 times a day to peruse posts, often more. I came to read different sections, ask questions and give (hopefully) semi-useful advice. Since the change I have found myself only coming here when I felt I needed to troubleshoot a specific problem. For me, the joy of reading posts has become an effort, and this makes me really sad as before I had the feeling of starting to belong to a huge international community.

I find the new forum quite difficult to read, mostly because of the scale of the posts (my monitor only fits 1/2 - 1 post per page) and the funny drop-down bar that appears from above whenever I scroll. The white on light grey background doesn't help. I am sure these are minor things in the grand scheme of things, but surely usability has to come before aesthetics. These are just my opinions, and have nothing to do with how I feel about Ultimaker as a whole (I love my printer!!!) but personally, I hope someone takes up the suggestion to start an alternative forum elsewhere which is easier to navigate and read.

• Like 1

So I actually had written a long post about how I crawled through the whole topic, still leaving me with a bunch of questions, but all this is gone due to having to log in again after pressing the "post comment" button.

This is a huge deal. It's happened to me. Heard of it happening to others several times in addition to frederik's experience. Each time, myself included, the poster just said to hell with the long post just composed and walked away in disgust.

I would advise - copy your posts to the clipboard before hitting "post".

I don't want to pile on with all the negativity and give things a chance to improve. I am trying. Unfortunately others have not and will not be patient. The UM brand is damaged, and the longer it takes to make corrective actions, the more sever the harm. It's very sad really. Does UM grasp the levity?

I know the alot of the punch list of fixes are on the back end. To help out the ailing PR, I would make some of the layout changes, graphic design changes and some easy fixes that will be readily noticed so people can see that work is being done. The site largely looks like it did when it went live although it is functioning better.

More specifically, please make the this damn edit frame stretchable so we can see more than 7 lines of text as we type. Very annoying and simple to correct. A bunch of small UI fixes like this could add up and improve the overall experience quickly.

How about a 'preview post' button?

I have only the best intentions toward the brand and the staff trying to make things right. Please hurry up before you lose our attention.

Matt

• Like 1

I actually had this happen to me heaps on the old forum to a point where I had to copy my text before posting them. I had it happen to me once on this new forum in the early days where it logged me out, but hitting the back button I was able to copy my text, login then paste it before hitting the post button.

absolutely awful. dont go doing a hotmail on us guys! bring back the old forum. i came here for help, not to run in circles on a website that looks like it was designed to run with some touch screen shite.

@sandervG So far this morning i have had 8 notifications about the 3D print show London United Kingdom

Why so many notifications about the same event ?

Edited by Guest

Hi Cor3ys, currently each notification is for a specific action.

This week the improvement we will make is that the notification brings you to the post it refers to. We are also going to do some other improvements.

Next week and the week after we are going to look into merging the notifications, which would bundle your 10 notifications into 1, all representing the activity on that thread.

@labern @mastory and others, the time-out bug is also addressed this week!

@calinb, if we would enable an advanced search, what settings or distinctions would you like to see?

Great question, maybe people should post here to help focus the conversation about the search feature requests.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/15388-bug-search-hit-ranking-page-navigation-issues-vanishing-results-um-forum

This thread is getting pretty long and looking thought it to find certain info takes a while , in part due to the search features current limitations and bugs.

Edited by Guest

also, lack of spelling checker. i am very dissabled when it comes to writing, and it makes me extreamly uncomfortable that i am unable to use my browsers spell check function with this forum. while this community is likely 102% forgiving, too much bad history on other forums.

also, lack of spelling checker. i am very dissabled when it comes to writing, and it makes me extreamly uncomfortable that i am unable to use my browsers spell check function with this forum. while this community is likely 102% forgiving, too much bad history on other forums.

spell check working here using firefox....:)

it works for me too.. Does it work for you on other tabs in your browser?

Spell checking works for me in chrome on my Mac. I don't think it is a feature of the forum, rather a feature of the browser, if not the OS.

Just to let others know this new forum will take getting used to, and as someone stated already Frederik i think, that it was a massive part of my experience also and checking what people were saying about things and news in general was actually addictive. That has been killed somewhat and this new forum, not entirely bad but still very light on the selection pages (seem to remember having more posts viewable at a time, and now you can only see the latest three or something. Its still guess work, to an extent, even though i think it was previously, but seeing more post per page, gave the impression it was layed out better or something. Ill get used to this, but my main gripe is wandering if im not seeing a thread that is not necessarily the most current trending topic, but interesting none the less, with this new minimal view, i cant seem to tell if im looking at all the new threads. This for me is the main problem. The old look was a proper working no nonsense default layout forum, that was made for users not for vanity which i feel this one is to an extent, but i can understand you for wanting to spruce things up, but seeing as many threads and topics per page to me is the most important thing as it means i can see things changing order over time, (i.e. thread order) so I know exactly whats new and whats trending without being limited to only seeing three topics or something. Im not hating this new look, and you have fixed most of the errors in my previous posts, but still feel like posting things might get omitted or not see whereas before i felt that they would be. Hard to put my finger on what i dont like as i forgot exactly what the old forum looked like and why i was drawn into it. This one feels like a chatroom, whilst the other one felt like a forum. I think?

the edit box still needs a delete post button, and the last time i posted more than one picture in the prints section, nothing posted. only when i posted one picture did it work?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I was about to write here that someone should post here if the next Ulti-Evening date is known, because I used to be able to see that kind of stuff without looking for it on the old forum. And as this is no longer the case people might miss it since we only follow this topic.

So I happened to have a look only to found it it has already been planned for 6 days:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/15512-ulti-evening-may-11th

So to all of you who also missed it, it's happening. I'm not sure if I'll be there due to painting prints not being my thing. If Ultimaker would find it usefull though to meetup and talk about the forum, I might be able to join for that.

Edited by Guest

@SandervG can't find the post to quote, but I promised you screens about the UM website appearing to be a playable media on my phone, stopping all other media that was currently playing.

Phone: BlackBerry Z10 running 10.3.1.something

Notice the play pause sign in the top left. That wasn't there before visiting ultimaker.com

[media=1395][/media]

[media=1396][/media]

[media=1397][/media]

Edited by Guest

@Chrisr thank you for your post.

Following your accusations, when exactly have I done nothing? Every day when a user needed help they could count on me. In regard of this forum, maybe not all the latest developments happen in the front end, but there certainly has been a lot going on. The spam is solved, the remember me-bug is solved. All users should be able to log in. Etc.

Also, please refrain from name calling. Thank you.

You are very welcome to share your feedback wether based on emotion or based with facts but lets all stay friends here.

Through -....- That is not going to happen. Instead, if you feel the current forum needs work, help us with your valued opinion and make it more your forum. Let me know what you think!

@SanderVg You just go ahead and do what you want to do without listening to the community. There's no real point to be had in replying to you as you just go-ahead anyway and implement what you want to do. What you're very good at is offering apologies to fed up customers. So stick with just that role and improve matters internally in UM? If this new forum was your idea you really should find something else to do in UM ;-)

Just my humble opinion from a few years. :-)

Edited by SandervG
    reduce space
    • Like 1

You really don't listen do you? Just full of company speak... :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So to all of you who also missed it, it's happening.

Saw it (only because I actually went looking for it) but I won't be coming... I'm a bit fed up with things Ultimaker at the moment.

• Like 1

So to all of you who also missed it, it's happening.

Saw it (only because I actually went looking for it) but I won't be coming... I'm a bit fed up with things Ultimaker at the moment.

Isn't that the best reason to go? Its very easy to be mad at a forum name or email adress.

@titus, I understand some users are currently suffering from a reduced overview of posts they used to follow but there is nothing wrong with posting the new Ulti-evening in Community; Events and Meetings, is it? Like, it should be posted there?

I hope we can stay on topic here, and if you now go ahead and follow the Events and Meetings thread you will be notified next time.

@Blizz, hopefully you will turn around some day soon. Reach out to me if you want to talk about it.

@chrisr, without turning this into an ongoing discussion; I do my best to listen to everyone. This is not to be confused with being able to grant everyones wishes. There is an equal number of wishes and individual users. We have to find the best balance between everyone.

We are not going back to the old forum. Besides that, I believe I also just shared a list of bullet points that are being improved as we speak, points addressed by you, our community. If there is a subject you feel I neglect, let me know.

Edited by Guest

@SandervG can't find the post to quote, but I promised you screens about the UM website appearing to be a playable media on my phone, stopping all other media

Thank you, I will add this to the bug list.

A heads up: I posted a new topic; the old forum is accessible; read only

Edited by Guest