general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Yes im getting the ghost general forum empty link pages as well. Actually took me a while to find this thread, which is the main problem of this new forum, and if it happend not to be in the three threads shown, I doubt i would have ever found it, or would have given up trying.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think im just going to resort to posting pictures from now on, going through threads is just frustrating unless you stick to one area and ingnore the others to save wasting time looking for stuff. Im not sure if im clicking on a thread or a link to more threads, or a title of thread or if im just confused, lol, ill see how this all pans out in the coming weeks.

And when I type Ultimaker Forums in google why is there no link???? i have to click on ultimaker, then community, then forum, an then a main thread and then the topic thread. That a lot of clicks. It gets annoying. big time.

I dont see a reason why the forum has no direct link?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · general forum feedback

I dont see a reason why the forum has no direct link?

You can bookmark https://ultimaker.com/en/community

Yes thats true, but as i computer hop quite a lot, i dont always use the same browsers and setups. and if you want more people coming to the forum then a direct link would show people that you have a forum, its how i found it before and i assume many others did too. Now i would never had known you even had a forum.

I am about to leave this community too, unless the old forum is opened for posting again within days

Anders we need you, please don't go.

I can't imagine my UM2 without an Olsson block and future upgrades from you and swordriff.

Software had serious problems here, I see that you are p... o... with good reasons. However the forum is more about the people than about the software. So let's all hang tight for a little while, stay unite, and get over this "obscure" phase. I am confident sun will shine again soon.

Thanks you for all you did, and hopefully will continue doing for us, this was and is so much appreciated.

Cheers - PD

Edited by Guest
    • Like 5

Anders can't go!

Quick somebody design and print an "Anders Restraint" so he can't leave.

Please make from PLA, 0.4mm nozzle and 0.1 - 0.2 layer height. 50mm/s, 5mm retraction @25mm/s. 25% fans at 2mm, 50% fans at 5mm.

Hang on in there every body it's improving almost every day,

;)

• Like 1

@SandervG, did someone test the notification functionality before it was pushed? Why is it so incredibly fail?

• Like 1

I had three ghost messages which didn't even load this time and just left me waiting for nothing to load, wasted my time. Then the website took forever to load pages and hung... and likes still dont seem to show when you hover over them like in the old forum, its nice to know peoples tastes.

oh well.

I just got ghost mail as soon as i posted this....

Same here, vveeeerrrrrryyyy slow response on some pages, the "post your latest print" took 30 seconds to load .... and lots of nonsense notifications, probably still caused by the repressed spam as sander mentioned last week ..

cuffs2_display_large_preview_featured.jpg.7fe2920807743c46016dea6da4f199c4.jpg

@izzy: Anders Restraints.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1183

If Anders Leaves, I move to Russia.

cuffs2_display_large_preview_featured.jpg.7fe2920807743c46016dea6da4f199c4.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

Did anyone ask why he is leaving? I always like to know specifics, lol.

Why is it so incredibly fail?

Given the way this catastrophe was designed, handled, implemented and being "debugged", there's no wonder it goes this way.

It's no wonder people loose their desire to visit this crappy place.

It is very sad, however. I'm not loosing my hope, just yet. :(

These blank general forum things really need to be fixed asap....

and slooooow speeds on the site seem to be getting pretty regular today. Two more reasons to dislike this forum.

Im also spending more time here reading this thread than i feel i should be....

Edited by Guest

So, for those of you who are surprised by me leaving this forum, here is my explanation:

What makes a forum good?

- Nice and skilled users

- Valuable stored information

- Easy to use layout (easy to post and find information)

So, to make a forum successful, obviously you need to attract skilled users willing to offer  their help for free.

You also need and efficient way to collect and store the information.

And you need to present the information in a reasonable way

That (a part from the quite useless search function and cumbersome picture upload) was there on the old forum.

I spent weeks of my very busy time here discussing and helping people on the forum completely for free, while I could have gained substantial money using that time to work as a consultant, where I seem to have an endless amount of things to do.

I did this partly to compensate for all the help I got from other users here.

Now, it has been almost a month since the old forum was closed, and when I visit any of the migrated threads here they are more or less useless because of all the stuff that was broken in the migration process.

This makes me an unhappy user because:

- I spent a lot of my time on creating something which then, for no good reason, was ruined by Ultimaker.

- The information in the posts by other users is now difficult for me to take part of, in case I need to find something.

The fact that the new forum is filled with bugs, that it does not offer any obvious advantage over the old forum and that the forum layout is completely useless does not make things better.

I can not recall that I have seen anything like this before, particularly not in a business case like this, where Ultimakers success is heavily depending on this forum.

It also upsets me how much money Ultimaker must have spend on this useless upgrade while ignoring lots of other things that we could have had use for.

So really, how can I possibly recommend people to buy Ultimakers if I can not trust that Ultimaker is taking good care of the most important feature: The forum ?

And how can I motivate to spend my time here, if everything I accomplished here suddenly is rendered useless by Ultimaker for no good reason ?

So if you can convince Ultimaker to reopen the old forum, and that they do not not replace it with anything unless the new thing is properly tested and working, I might be back.

But if Ultimaker continues this real-time developing of this beta version of forum, I am off.

If the old forum was open I would have had interesting stories to tell you about developing indestructible nozzles by the way.

However, this editor already tried to delete this post once (edit:twice) and is driving me nuts by constantly scrolling up when I am writing, so I am going to stop now.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 5

So, for those of you who are surprised by me leaving this forum, here is my explanation:

Not surprised here, just sad. Many of us feel this way, many have taken a break to see what will happen in a month or so.

Not surprised here, just sad. Many of us feel this way, many have taken a break to see what will happen in a month or so.

Yeah, indeed, same here.

I'm one of those idiots who has also written his own forum from the ground up.

My target audience has little to no computer experience and didn't understand phpbb / vbulletin when I started the site 15 years ago, so it was a conscious decision.

A year or so ago I rewrote most functionality. When I migrated my 5 million+ posts to the new system I made sure to keep the old urls live and all the extra data etc (you REALLY don't want to mess with your google links!).

I did that migration in 3 days whilst keeping both versions of my site live (one readonly, one not).

Anyway, to come to my point: If I had know then what I know now, I would've just invested time in "dumbing" down an existing implementation and integrating it. Those people have been coding those forums 10+ years and still have to change things daily.

I was pretty dumb to think I would be able to do that on my own as well.

The site is still running today and my visitors like the forum, but I still feel like I'm missing most functionality, even after all those years. And I'm very glad it's not a technical public or I would've closed doors a couple years ago already. Just to say "bezint eer ge begint", as we say in Belgium. But that is too late already I guess.

• Like 2

@SandervG please undo the notification redirection till you actually have something that works. Now I need to click 3 more times to get to the place in comparison to the situation it would take me to the first page. This is WORSE!

Forum very unresponsive atm, just posted the same comment 5x ..... and no way to delete it (the magnetic head change topic)

I deleted the unwanted comments FYI

• Like 1

Forum very unresponsive atm, just posted the same comment 5x ..... and no way to delete it (the magnetic head change topic)

Hehehe, it made me laugh when I saw it.

Ok I have bided my time a bit, after finally getting access to the forum, to try and find my way around a bit before commenting on this thread.

I have been on the forum for 18 months+ and no doubt like many in that position, I started by asking questions but over time moved to helping other people. I have always been happy, if need be, to spend hours helping because I got so much help in my early days from this great forum.

What I am not prepared to do though is to spend more hours trying to find new posts. I never browsed the forums – I used the email notification system – where has that gone!!!!!!!!!

The bugs in the new Notifications code are legion, many already mentioned by others; I signed on yesterday and found 23/24 notifications. What a mess; I have no idea how much time I wasted following leads that had no updates and it is clear that the forums I have subscribed to are not generating notifications for everything that is posted to them.

The end result is that you cannot help everyone unless you are prepared to manually investigate every forum for new questions/responses – which I am not.

My participation, ultimately no doubt my interest, has taken a dive. I use my email system each day substantially and every time there was an email message from the forum I would normally immediately select it and have a look. Now it is several days before I sign on and if the notifications system carries on as it is then that will become weeks rather than days.

I have been a professional software developer for many years, programming/designing/managing and if one of my teams had released the notifications software heads would have rolled, although I suspect I would have been the first to be let go.

@yellowshark, thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear that your participation has decreased over time, and I can only hope that it rises to its original level once some key features have been re-installed.

Have you read through the improvements, and upcoming features?

E-mail notification is certainly on the list, but first we need to improve the way notifications work at all. We don't want to spam you with 4 e-mails for 1 reply.

This improvement is one of the first to be addressed, and email will follow shortly.

The bug that was in the notifications that lead us to blanc pages is resolved, and everyone should be directed to the dedicated post!

If this is not the case for any user, please report this to me directly.

@Ultiarjan, how do you mean unresponsive? Did you have to press 'Post comment' 5 times before it posted, and it posted 5 times?

Personally, I pressed it twice once, by accident, and it posted my reply twice.

If it is the same bug, it is noted.

@titus. thank you for your post and we are aware. Happy to say that bug has been resolved and we can now say the notifications have become much better!

More updates coming this week!