ultiarjan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · general forum feedback

@SandervG that looks like it's working now. Still getting 2 notifications for post+tag though.

Question remains, why was the notification thing pushed without testing/with bugs :( ?

That's the one thing people hate more than something not being there.

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback
    The bug that was in the notifications that lead us to blanc pages is resolved, and everyone should be directed to the dedicated post!

If this is not the case for any user, please report this to me directly.

Does this mean that I should be directed to the new reply if I click on a "new reply notification" now? If so, it does not work for me. I still land on the original post on the first page of the thread.

BTW: Is there somewhere an explanation what the number in brackets behind "reply" means? I couldn't figure it out yet. It doesn't seem the number of new replies, it doesn't seem to be the page in the thread and if it is the number of the post within the thread, then where would I find the corresponding number in the posts?

Edited by Guest

Yes, I hear you mr. olsson and cant disagree with any points you've made!

My thoughts on why they did it are purely because they wanted to intergrate it with the main site, which i understand, but if it causes this much mess, then is it really worth it.... not so sure? in fact definitely no. Now it doesnt even come up in the search so even less people are aware of the forum, and they'll most likely just go to other forums for reviews and such as they'd want them to be unbiased. So add on that the main hardcore users who would have left as all their friends have left, and you are left with newbies only, and a whole lot of repeating yourself which wouldn't be the case had you just left the forum alone, the money could have been spent better developing an unblockable nozzle system and a better feeder mechanism (which are the only real bad point on the Ultimaker)..

I also spent much writing long threads, but if all the people who have helped leave, then its like starting from scratch, New forum, new users. Not so advanced users.

This is bad for Ultimaker, and an ugly but usable forum is for the hardcore, i.e. for the serious who want to improve. a pretty forum is never needed but helps with PR. Its why some companies deliberately make their plugins look old and ugly to keep the people they really want using them, its the functionality that matters.

Ultimaker should turn this forum into a chat forum and reopen the old one (ignoring any newly posted content to save any headaches) to the functional one.

But they wont, because that would mean separating it from the ultimaker.com URL which was probably the only reason for this forum.

I have a feeling the Ultimaker Forums got more hits than thewebsite so they thought they would get more hits on the website by mixing the to together, but its clearly not working. this thread already has over 11.5K views.

Im sure ill find another site to post images and finishing techniques on if this places talent dies.

The lack of the quality of the forum software kills me even more than its lack of the usability.

Now, about two weeks after the rollout, one of the most important functionalities - the notifications links is supposedly working. Hurray!

But how about to put just a little bit of sane thought and to bring not the last post in the thread but the last unread one, saving me time, trying to find that last read message?

Just being grumpy, fed up and sarcastic...

• Like 1

I don't think the notifications are fixed, just got a message saying a thread i posted on had a reply, did it? like hell it did. Maybe from 3 days ago?

that will be from removed spam I think.

Hi @cloakfiend,

thank you for your message.

I hear your worries but I don't share them. Just like someone else posted, we are the community and we have all put in a lot of work in it and made a lot of friends.

Indeed, it is important to integrate the forum in the Ultimaker URL, it was silly that this wasn't the case before. While that is important, that was not the main reason. Main reason being that we wanted to build a bigger community platform integrated in our website, like an eco system dedicated for our users.

The forum is part of this community platform, other parts will follow.

And some of them are very very interesting :)

If you search Ultimaker forum, the first hit is the community page which is also our forum. We are looking into maybe changing the page title so it is more obvious, but it can still be found through google.

About the notifications, I have also had like 4 or 5 'ghost notifications', some were triggered because unapproved posts / spam, but not all.

It is a bug we are looking into.

Besides this, do all the notifications direct you to the right page and post?

@shurik 'But how about to put just a little bit of sane thought and to bring not the last post in the thread but the last unread one, saving me time, trying to find that last read message?'

How do you mean? Right now when you receive a notification and you have 5 unread posts it will take you to the first unread message and you can scroll down.

Is this not what you mean?

Thank you!

@SandervG I hear you and you gotta do what you gotta do, and are the notifications are taking me to the relevant post? well I think they are, when they aren't if you know what I mean.

I'll keep swinging by keeping an eye on things and see how things improve in the future. Im no Ultimaker master but am now totally comfortable in every aspect of using it, so im happy.

If I was just looking at this forum for the first time, I think it would have taken me a lot longer to find and read all the things I did that helped me, thats all I'm saying.

In the past few days there have been a lot of new people asking questions about problems they are having with their printers. They are also including Pictures and in-bedded YouTube clips to help solve the issues and they are doing this without asking how to include them.

This is a big improvement over the old forum as it was so confusing to load images let alone in-bed a YouTube clip.

So for new users in this regard I think it will be a lot better. But in the sense of wither they could have found the information they required easier in the old forum instead of having to ask a question? I'm not sure.

The image adding is a big improvement for sure.

I'm also getting used to the looks of the individual forum pages themself, and the corrections done on the notifications is a big help. Following existing topics works ok now for me I guess (email notification is low on my wish list)

The main remaining issue for me is finding new topics / see whats changed, for this a 1 page forum overview would be best, so I'm hoping this is high on the todo list ... @sandervG ?

The image adding is a big improvement for sure.

I'm also getting used to the looks of the individual forum pages themself, and the corrections done on the notifications is a big help. Following existing topics works ok now for me I guess (email notification is low on my wish list)

The main remaining issue for me is finding new topics / see whats changed, for this a 1 page forum overview would be best, so I'm hoping this is high on the todo list ... @sandervG ?

very high!

• Like 1

Hi Sander, I have just replied to your post of a couple of days ago, but having hit the submit button my response seems to have disappeared into the ether - a known bug?

I will resend the response again in 10/15 minutes

Hi Sander, I have just replied to your post of a couple of days ago, but having hit the submit button my response seems to have disappeared into the ether - a known bug?

I will resend the response again in 10/15 minutes

This post has appeared on the forum immediately so I assume my posting HAS disappeared.

(Hmn well I have reposted my posting twice and it has disappeared – this is third attempt)

Hi Sander thank you for the response - good to hear that email notifications are coming; I understand your point about getting Notifications generally clean before adding emails.

Right now I am seeing the following notification bugs.

I am still not getting advised of new threads added to a forum I am subscribed to. E.G. I have just checked the General thread and the most recent 12 threads (I stopped counting at that point) have not been notified to me.

When I get a notification, and select it, I am taken to the first post/first page of the thread rather than the page that contains the new posting.

I received a notification today that related to a post made two days ago; I had not seen this post before so receiving a notification was correct, but it was 2 days late!

Right now, getting notifications of posts that were made weeks/months ago seems to have stopped

@SandervG

it will take you to the first unread message and you can scroll down.

Is this not what you mean?

That's exactly what I mean. The only trouble is, that it doesn't work.

BTW, yet another obvious feature missing is the easy quick quoting.

P.S. Now it worked. God moves in mysterious ways...

Edited by Guest

There is a bug in the Prints section, clicking on the next/previous arrows do nothing but reloading the same image

um-forum-bug1.jpg

There is another bug here. If I preview a post before pressing "POST COMMENT", the post won't go through and will be lost forever. Tried a couple of times.

same here... just tried the preview :)

There is another bug here. If I preview a post before pressing "POST COMMENT", the post won't go through and will be lost forever. Tried a couple of times.

Ah that would be where my earlier message went then!

@personal drones, i posted 3 pics a while back only to have them all fail and just have nothing, so i figured out that there is a bug when loading them in, once you load an image the reason it doenst load is that the bar at the top stops it. I posted multiple pics succefully, just click on the arrows on copper patina test, and i put 4 or 5 pictures, as well as my iron budda.

to load them, just scroll the page up and down after you have selected them (to activate the bar at the top) and they'll show up as thumbnails, otherwise they are just blank and when you hit post i guess it doesnt post them as the thumbnails haven't loaded?

Hope that helps those having trouble, at least i figured something out. The picture section is an area i like in this forum.Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.aacf5248bce1c0f6fc3f8e079d80d2d0.jpg

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.aacf5248bce1c0f6fc3f8e079d80d2d0.jpg

Edited by Guest

I think the solution would be, if there is only one image in the "print post", then please do not display these misleading lateral arrows?

@personal drones, i posted 3 pics a while back only to have them all fail and just have nothing, so i figured out that there is a bug when loading them in, once you load an image the reason it doenst load is that the bar at the top stops it. I posted multiple pics succefully, just click on the arrows on copper patina test, and i put 4 or 5 pictures, as well as my iron budda.

to load them, just scroll the page up and down after you have selected them (to activate the bar at the top) and they'll show up as thumbnails, otherwise they are just blank and when you hit post i guess it doesnt post them as the thumbnails haven't loaded?

Hope that helps those having trouble, at least i figured something out.

Yeah removing the arrows would make sense on only having one picture, but as you pointed out there is still a bug loading multiple images? no? i could be wrong i didnt check, i just noticed a while back the thumbnails didnt load correctly.

Edited by Guest

Yeah removing the arrows would make sense on only having one picture, but as you pointed out there is still a bug loading multiple images? no? i could be wrong i didnt check, i just noticed a while back the thumbnails didnt load correctly.

I did not notice such bug, never tried to upload multiple images to a print

Im finding the Forum taking longer to load pages than before. Post your latest print takes forever to load, and i just gave up many times, i assume as it has many pages or something, but this should not be an excuse as if the forums grows, then it will truly become useless.