general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

That is a good idea, thanks! Could we agree this would serve the same purpose and functionality?

Acknowledged.

...and as a footnote:

Isn't it more interesting to know what a certain users says in regard to a certain topic then just the fact a comment was made?

From my perspective...not in any case. Anders (for example) always makes "posts of interest" - regardless of the topic...(honestly) - and there are a few other users too.

That's what the "friends" function is good for.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · general forum feedback

Just another thing that keeps getting me FRUSTRATED :angry::D

When I want to download Cura, I always have a hard time finding it, under products.

I tend to click on applications instead. It used to say software :(

How often do you download Cura that it keeps getting you frustrated? ;)

It has a better place under product, it belongs there. Hopefully you get used to it soon :)

I hop PC's from time to time, use older versions sometimes when on the job since I need to replicate certain behavior and can't allow for something to be different as I will only have one shot.

I agree with Nallath, perhaps it is in the right place, but applications sounds so uhm confusing.

I must say that in general I dislike the products page. There's not enough compact information about the products imo, and also you need to go to a different "site" to order.

I want to see specs on a product page, or a button that says specs, within 2 window heights, otherwise I'll just exit the page.

• Like 1

edit: Well shit. As soon as I posted, things went south. Now a bunch of threads without new replies are being highlighted. *sigh* I'll mess with it tomorrow, my brain is cooking in this damn heat.

edit2: Cold shower, updated script, should work better.

The number one reason I have not been visiting the forum much lately is how you don't know what threads you've already read. Finally decided to do a temporary "fix" for that today. It's not perfect (and absolutely have bugs I haven't found in my very very limited amount of testing), but it seems to be good enough for now, until it actually gets implemented server side.

Shows which thread you've read with a dark blue bar. Shows thread with new replies (that you've read) with blue bar and arrow thingy to click. Arrow thingy takes you to the latest page you read (not the latest post unfortunately). Does not show new post indicator until a full minute has passed since last post.

Greasemonkey script (use "Direct download" in top right corner):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r3he83xleudhut/Ultimaker_last_read.user.js?dl=0

forum_last_read.thumb.png.0b9044f12777f920dabd02d1202324b8.png

forum_last_read.thumb.png.0b9044f12777f920dabd02d1202324b8.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

@SandervG, I subscribed to the event category, to get an update for new topics(ultievenings). Today I found out that you posted on 16 days ago. Didn't get a notification :(

Sorry for the late reply @titus, but that's a known bug we'll fix soon.

Can we please have e-mail notifications. It's been a long long time now. I think this single feature could be a boost to forum life.

Coming up quite soon :) stay tuned for updates.

I'm still getting this problem on windows 8.1 chrome.

5a330d06eb8cd_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.6f47d76528715b62088d64913b36e30a.png

Weird, we'll look into it.

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well!

I wanted to give you an update about the upcoming improvements on our dear forum.

Initially we planned on starting Beta-testing this week, but development was delayed a little bit.  This means beta-testing will start in the week of August 10th, and if all goes well the improved forum will go live approx. 1 week later.

This is not the full preview of what we showed you in 'The Future' though. That has been cut up in 2 launches, which we are now nearing the first of two.

What you can expect, amongst others, in this launch is:

• Improved notifications, like the subcategories
    • e-mail notification
    • Improved forum design and settings (not yet the read / unread distinction, that will be in the second launch because of the required work to build it)
    • Way better search feature
    • Some bug fixes like the ghost notifications

The second and final launch of 'the Future' will be approx. 1 month after this launch.

You can expect a post about this when we are closing up to that momentum too.

Looking forward to this launch, as it will push the forum forward again towards the level we all desire. Thank you for your time!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 5

@SandervG can you explain why the read/unread is so difficult that we need to wait to somewhere 2th half september?

Seems I'll need to try Roberts script afterall.....

• Like 1

@ultiarjan: I have to admit I did a serious "roll eyes" at that. It's a SIMPLE thing to do. My PHP/MySQL is rusty as hell and I'm pretty sure I could still bang that out in an afternoon. I have a feeling the company Ultimaker hired are milking money out of them...

• Like 1

Well, this is far out of my personal field of expertise so I can't really give a technical founded answer. What I do know is for this launch we had to choose between 2 big features. In this case it was read/unread or email notification. We chose the latter, and I am pretty sure if we chose read/unread I was now typing this same message but then the other way around..

Hopefully you can take comfort in the fact it is coming fairly soon, in about 1,5month time.

@IRobertI, feel free to contribute if you can spare the time. Send me an email if you can/want.

Robert it is not a simple thing to do, especially not if you want to do it the correct way.

Everyone assumes that its nothing more than storing the highest read post-id of the topic you are browsing. That works, but it's crap in the end, simply because it's only a fraction of what is needed.

To do this correctly you would have to continue then by detecting if that "read page" results in the entire current forum becoming read: Meaning that all topics have a "last read post" that is either the very last one of that topic or more recent than the cut off point (which is the last post that was added in a forum when it was marked as read, or the last post of say 90 days ago. You really don't want to keep read info per user per topic forever).

If so, clean up read data of all topics in that forum, mark forum read, move up a level and repeat.

If you don't do this you end up with situations where in a specific forum all topics are marked read, but higher up the forum is still marked as containing unread topics and so on.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

This is usually why you use an existing solution as a base and modify on top of that. There is no need to re-invent the wheel over and over again. This philosophy was one of the main reasons to implement plug-ins and create Uranium; easier re-use and modification of code.

Edited by Guest

This is usually why you use an existing solution as a base and modify on top of that. There is no need to re-invent the wheel over and over again. This philosophy was one of the main reasons to implement plug-ins and create Uranium; easier re-use and modification of code.

Nallath I think we had that discussion extensively before and I'm pretty sure that if a "raise hands if you want to go back to a pre-existing forum"-question was posed nearly every hand would be raised ;)But it's not the path that was taken.

Edited by Guest

Nallath I think we had that discussion extensively before and I'm pretty sure that if a "raise hands if you want to go back to a pre-existing forum"-question was posed nearly every hand would be raised ;)But it's not the path that was taken.

Yeah true. But I can't wait for the new features to work :p

Yeah true. But I can't wait for the new features to work :p

indeed... look at the start date of this thread... if everything is working half September it took 5 months ....

• Like 2

Maybe this was UM's cunning plan so people would be gossiping about the forum and waiting for its releases instead of spying on UM's secret projects and spreading rumors. :p

I for sure have been waiting for forum releases and forgotten about what machine's or projects they will release next. :)

I for sure have been waiting for forum releases and forgotten about what machine's or projects they will release next. :)

It's a lawnmower. Duh.

• Like 1

Maybe this was UM's cunning plan so people would be gossiping about the forum and waiting for its releases instead of spying on UM's secret projects and spreading rumors. :p

I always like a good conspiracy theory....

No Ultimaker Toaster :(? Razer is still not giving us theirs....

Judging from both the new forum and the new Cura, I'm guessing it will be something disruptive which we will hate on initially but grow to like eventually because it will get better.

• Like 2

I say only use it if you need to (as with anything) otherwise whats the point in changing from the older cura, its more stable, loads models better and runs faster. But i may give it a try as i will see if it copes with high poly models better than the old one. If it doesn't then there really is no point using it in my opinion. Unless you are one of those people who need to use newest stuff regardless.

I guess I miss the old format

This "pretty" version rubs me much as Windows 8 did....why screw up what was a functional interface and turn it into a portal experience at every click?

I visit a lot of forums that use platforms like vBulletin board and other variations. I can use TapTalk to go into those while mobile.

I'm sure you guys are trying to make it better. I'm waiting patiently =)

• Like 1