general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

I keep getting notifications for posts in a thread I follow but can't find any new posts then:

Clipboard01.jpg

As the screenshot shows, the last post was from 22nd at 4:45pm but the notification is 8hrs old at 8:48 on the 23rd.

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

ok, my 2 cents..

I loved to go to the old forum.. good community, help was there. over the past few days I dreaded going to the new forum. Let me try to give some constructive feedback and sharing some of my feelings. Please understand that while my feelings might not always be constructive, they are a large motivator for the amount of time I spend on the forum;

1)if I want to go to the forum, I go via community and I get greeted with a full page of spam. While I understand that spam sucks and it's hard to battle, there are multiple off the shelf products, like Akismet, Chapta or ReChapta that would help to battle this.

2)if I ignore the spam, a lot of the posts on the first page are irrelevant to me. Is there a way to simply show the forum overview or have a filter?

3)if I click on forum, I get the forum overview. It does not show me an overview of the latest 1, 2 or 3 posts inside that particular sub forum which is something i greatly miss. this way i can't simply look at what has changed on the forums that I follow.

4)for me, there is too much information around the posts, too much whitespace. On a full HD monitor i can only see 3 posts with 3 lines each. It makes reading of discussions very hard.

5)the first post that is always on the top. is there a way to turn this off? This greatly encourages people to reply to the first post instead of looking for updates

6)if I click on the last page (or at least the button i assume should take me to the last page of a discussion) it takes me to a random spot. weird.

7)This feels like a blog infrastructure to me. It's not a forum. I can reply to someone, but can't quote them? weird. Things I would expect to be there like MultiQuote or quoting while writing a reply are not there

8)thank you for making the "forum" work again in both Internet Explorer as well as Spartan. old forum only really worked in Firefox and Chrome. this one actually works so thank you!

9)What's up with the points system? The points and titles allocated just seem weird to me.

10)Why was the decision made to build a forum yourself instead of using a tested and trialed system like Vbulletin?

11)why doesn't the quick reply respect linebreaks? my post is completely messed up and I had to edit it 3 times to make it readable

12)please.. change the emoticons.. the blue border is just.. just..

13)I'm a bit bummed out for the lack of communication. the forum went offline without notice. fine. it was supposed to be back the next day, the 16th.. then without any notification or explanation the date was sneakily changed to the 21th. fine if stuff goes slower, i totally understand.. but changing the date and then pretending nothing happened made me feel dissapointed.

thanks for reading my whining :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So what's with the spamming btw?

I've never noticed that before...

Now I get the impression from the dashboard that it's being spammed to hell?

Kinda eliminates the usefulness of the dashboard completely like that.

It eliminates far more then just the usefulness of the dashboard, it is annoying as hell! We are currently working on it.

I keep getting notifications for posts in a thread I follow but can't find any new posts then:

Clipboard01.jpg

As the screenshot shows, the last post was from 22nd at 4:45pm but the notification is 8hrs old at 8:48 on the 23rd.

Just to double check, are you looking at the right page?

Sometimes when I click a notification it doesn't take me to the last page, where the last post is.

Sometimes when I click a notification it doesn't take me to the last page, where the last post is.

Hmm, I must always click on the wrong place in a notification then, because it has never taken me to somewhere else than the first page.

• Like 2

Not getting to the last page or the last unread post if you click on the notification is a different bug :)

I am at the last page for all I can see. I would have added the page count on the screenshot, but as multiple people here have already commented, the enormous amount of whitespace in the forum layout didn't allow me to show more than the last post with dates, the notification and the new post editor :(

I was on page 54 of this thread.

Another one: If I get quoted like above by @SandervG, the notification shows me:

You have been quoted by reibuehl in general forum feedback.

The quoted by should not be my username but rather the one of the person that quoted me.

• Like 1

I tried posting a print just now and it doesn't seem like it's working for me.

I basically filled in all the info, hit save, and nothing seems to appear or happen.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also due to the amount of information & pictures you need to upload/enter, it would be good to have a 'save' button separate from the post button. Similar to Youmagine/thingV so if by chance it doesn't work or you need to leave to do something else you don't loose all of your information. (like I just did :/)

Anyone else try posting a print?

Hi @valcrow, do you have more details on your issues? OS, device, browser, etc.? This well help us identify any issue you might have. When you pressed the save button, did you see a certain screen, or just nothing at all?

Your feedback in regards to the save button is noted.

It also would be nice to know who liked a post you did

Noted!

Another one: If I get quoted like above by @SandervG, the notification shows me:

You have been quoted by reibuehl in general forum feedback.

The quoted by should not be my username but rather the one of the person that quoted me.

That's right, thanks for letting us know :)

I had a feeling the captcha wouldn't work. Having approved over 6000 posts on the old forum I've seen some reasonably clever spammers try to get through. When there are actual people spamming you need something more robust in the way.

(still getting 403s on any moderating action I try to take btw)

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

What's the point of the global sign next to my name and shop. If I click on it I cannot change the language or the currency.

Oh and middle mouse clicking on shop goes to https://ultimaker.com/shop/

Yes I understand it was made to click, and semi pop up, but people don't always do that.

That's the feeling I get from this forum in general, it was made to be eye candy all over. Attractive for new inexperienced off the shelf UM2(family) owners(Nothing against those!) But the hardcore users were here for information, dense and with nice shortcuts to get to your information faster. And THEY are the ones I assume that should help those new inexperienced owners out as I understand the philosophy of the new forum.

When you edit a post, the button that finalizes the post says post comment, rather than edit post or so.

Are there no resellers, or does the page not work for me: https://ultimaker.com/en/resellers

Had more feedback, but clicking on notifications to dismiss the new one delete my draft post.

I wonder if more users share my thoughts on this next thing:

I'll continue to read this topic, but in the current state I can not use the rest of the forum to my liking.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

@IRobertI, your greasemonkey fixes look good. Ready to share it?

It's very dirty, hard coded pixel values and such, doesn't respond well to tiny windows. But here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/spquyyvim985okn/UMCompactor.user.js?dl=0

• Like 2

Are there no resellers, or does the page not work for me: https://ultimaker.com/en/resellers

Doesnt work for me either. We have a ton of resellers, so they should be shown there.

• Like 1

oh goodie. the forum does not remember me. even if i select remember me. sigh.

@IRobertI, your greasemonkey fixes look good. Ready to share it?

It's very dirty, hard coded pixel values and such, doesn't respond well to tiny windows. But here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/spquyyvim985okn/UMCompactor.user.js?dl=0

If you go to a post via one of the notifications, the URL of the post seems to change and is not /en/community* anymore but for example /en/ultimakercom-feedback*, so it seems like more @include lines are needed - one for each sub-forum I assume.

• Like 1

Since this is an in house system now, I'd like a topic where the changes and additions are posted. Basically a Release Notes topic like for YouMagine. That way we can easily figure out how long we have to keep whining for things to be added/fixed ;)

• Like 1

oh goodie. the forum does not remember me. even if i select remember me. sigh.

Hi Korneel, thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this, and just as a few other bugs this is going to be fixed.

Since this is an in house system now, I'd like a topic where the changes and additions are posted. Basically a Release Notes topic like for YouMagine. That way we can easily figure out how long we have to keep whining for things to be added/fixed ;)

Solid point, I guess great minds think alike! ;) . We are collecting things for a few days and then we will share a list with you guys! We understand the urgency on some points, but we shouldn't be impulsive. Thanks for understanding.

I would like to see a separate part where commercial postings can be made,

and not everywhere, like this:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/12466-3d-printen-introductie-in-zb45-zaterdag-25-april

My goodness, people! It's good you know to make 3D printers better than you make the forums.

There are so many good, working, proven forum engines out there, why not to take one?

Out of no other choice, I'll try to get used to the new format, but it gives me a hard time... :(

BTW, are we getting the chat back?

• Like 4

Small update:

* OP only shown on first page

* remember me cookie fix

* linebreaks

* moderator fixes

* quote user notification fix

The login for my mobile devices seems to work now ( android )

I just created a new Album, when I selected photos the spinny wheel just sat there for ages. I got sick of waiting so I just clicked save and it showed the photos had been loaded. It's nice to be able to load pictures from mobile now.

Here is where the points don't seem to add up. Total points doesn't equal points gained. 2015-04-24-09-34-56.thumb.png.1578914d943d84ae7559207bb7de5b55.png[/media]

2015-04-24-09-34-56.thumb.png.1578914d943d84ae7559207bb7de5b55.png