general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Here's some first impression feedback...

Mobile >

I really like the ability to go to the last page of the thread on the mobile version of the forum! wanted this for a long time..

Readability >

After a few hours (ok I will give it more time..) I think the readability is a lot worse than it was before, not sure whats causing it, maybe the overkill in colored dots, or the huge spacing between everything...

think my main wishes for now would be;

- remove the repetition of the first post on every page. (also terrible on mobile, to much scrolling)

- add the "go to page numbers" also on the top of the page.

quick access;

I used to get a quick overview of whats new by looking at ONE start page, I would really like to get this back, please add the last post & date to every topic on the main overview page.

Search >

I used to get good search results with advanced google (search in the forum domain) I hope this is not permanently damaged now its on a new domain. Tried the "in site search" , first impression results are crap, hope this will improve

over time but I'm afraid the history is gone.

Please add a "back to forum" button on the top of the search result page.

Please let me filter out undesired languages in search.

General >

It seems some web / youtube links work and some don't ??? Assume you'll fix it also on old pages ...

Edited by Guest
  • Like 14

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and looking at above post it seems line breaks don't work properly, some of the lines above are separated on different lines in "EDIT" but all after each other once publicized.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · general forum feedback

Agree on all points, the usability loss is what hurts me the most.

Btw, do you still have all your posts? If I can believe the counter in "your points" I lost more than 300 during the migration.

Wow, guys, really?

a) you are getting spamed by spammers.

b) quotes don't seem to work(FireFox, chrome)

c)WYSIWYG doesn't do it's job, enters are not ending a line, causing this to be one big paragraph

d)test

c) All things take getting used to etc etc, but I am really, totally, utterly, completely lost. I understand what the people were thinking and trying to create, but there is just too much spacings everywhere, leading to a 1% information density.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Btw, do you still have all your posts? If I can believe the counter in "your points" I lost more than 300 during the migration.

I was just short of about 200 post now down to 86 posts

Wow, guys, really?

c) All things take getting used to etc etc, but I am really, totally, utterly, completely lost. I understand what the people were thinking and trying to create, but there is just too much spacings everywhere, leading to a 1% information density.

Same here... I've been settling in a certain way of using the forum for the past year and I now feel as if the rug was pulled from under my feet :) The 1% of information density is very accurate, it's the same feeling I have.

• Like 1

I was just short of about 200 post now down to 86 posts

Thanks for the heads up, the post counters have been updated on all accounts, note that you have 204 posts now.

c)WYSIWYG doesn't do it's job, enters are not ending a line, causing this to be one big paragraph

Linebreaks are indeed turned off on the forum currently, we will be looking into this and reviewing how this will affect current content.

btw: quotes are working fine on my side, I'm a long time firefox user

Edited by Guest

Guess you'll have to run the reputation aggregation again as well then ;)

It's there so we might as well fully embrace it!

Also seems that a lot of posts now have plain HTML in there like blockquotes and img tags (eg the "What have you made" topic), will anything be done about that?

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the crazy amount of white space :) I'm planning on writing a greasemonkey script to shape things up a bit the way I want it. Or possibly do it via Stylish. I'll give it a few weeks though as I don't feel like re-writing it as the site changes.

• Like 5

If it comes to that Robert, consider this my friendly request on getting that script as well :)

If possible could they add "sort by latest first" would save scrolling to the far end each time 8)

• Like 1

I very much miss not having a "View latest posts" that feature in the old forums provided a very useful quick digest of what's changed. Can you please add that back in? On this new forum as is, I'm instead forced to wade through a whole load of stuff and frankly, it just makes me want to give up. Finding anything is a bit of a nightmare.

+1 to IRobertl on removing all the white space. It may look "arty" but just takes up way too much screen real estate imho.

Overall I feel this re-design as it stands currently, has taken a step backwards in usability for the end user

• Like 1

Try this? https://ultimaker.com/en/community?sorting=latest

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Also my OCD is really hating the "username is now lowercase"-thing. I require a capital B! :)

All my friends have vanished too. That is a real pain as I had quite a few contacts that I'd like to keep up. Can that feature be re-instated? Or, if it's present, where is it? Grrrr..... :angry:

@chrisr We are currently looking into migrating that data (friends) too. Thank you for sharing your insights. It is helpful. Viewing the latest posts is possible, Robert has supplied you with a view.

@Blizz, are you sure your OCD has double checked?

@chrisr We are currently looking into migrating that data (friends) too...

Thank you SandervG. I'm not enjoying or liking this forum re-design at all so far, it's messy and awkward to find anything. It looks "sleak" & "arty" and that's basically it.

As a user, I want to find stuff easily, I want a search engine which works so when I have a problem I can type in "levelling the bed" and bingo! the search engine does its job by pulling up those few posts relevant to my search query. Ideally something like a google like engine so that the user (me/others) can easily find what we're after. Then, we won't get repeated posts asking the same questions, as we did before in the old forums.

As a user experience (imho) this re-design currently as it stands, sucks worse than the old forum. But at least you guys are open to taking onboard suggestions. Do please keep that up and act on them?

As an aside, "points and badges" seem really pointless to me but hey-ho I'm happy to go with that particular flow. :)

• Like 1

Linebreaks are indeed turned off on the forum currently, we will be looking into this and reviewing how this will affect current content.

btw: quotes are working fine on my side, I'm a long time firefox user

This looks like it works, but the OLD quotes from previous topics, they are messed up like Blizz wrote, with the HTML blockquote

More feedback:

I keep losing the page numbers/previous ones. Kinda expecting them ABOVE the post comment.

Also would like to see that at the top of the page, now I have to scroll down...

Also if you go here, https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/1467-post-your-latest-print?page=321

You scroll up, and the opening post shows, without it being clear that that is the opening post. No border or something. And! No page number indication. It seems that topic was dead for 2 years or so, but it isnt.

Old links to forum topics don't work: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/1467-post-your-latest-print?page=314#reply-100949

I used to use the page where you saw all the topics you posted in, ranked by latest post almost exclusively when I just wanted a quick update. Kinda can't find something similar now.

When adding a picture of a print, I LOVE the fact that you can incorporate some settings, but WTF @ resolution starting at 20 microns, and then 21-40. Just leave it open to people to fill out their exact value. This is so useless, 21 is something totally different than 40.

Icons in the post comment are to small, add external image for example isn't clear what it is.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Yeah, big step backwards for me too.

1. readability is horrible. I just want info here, not a eye candy.

2. page header & Nav menus keep popping in and out at the top of the screen.

3. Menu box stuck in top right corner of screen, needs to go away.

4. main forum page used to have some posts on it so you could skim recent activity, but now you have to enter each forum to see any activity. and the latest filter does not show you which forum the post was from.

5. search seem less useful than before. I can't seem to figure out how to search in a forum.

• Like 2

migration brought over a bunch of weird code these posts used to have nice text with single line breaks, now there is ton of garbage HTML code around things

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/11396-retraction-blobs-how-to-minimize

also

this editor is ignoring

CR single line

breaks

Edited by Guest

@SanderVG: It is true that the menu on top has a capital B, but all the rest (here in the forum and if you look at my profile) is just in lowercase. Since you guys have the mixed case it is not a css thing so it probably must be caching.

I did find the old forum a bit old looking, but it was much more easy to oversee postings,

now it you have to do a lot...lot of scrolling and more scrolling and clicking, and more clicking, to find anything.

while the clean look is very nice, there is way to much space between postings.

I use Firefox most of the time, and I had to zoom out the page 2 times to get a better usable overview.

Being able to see the last post dated, after I last visited, is something I really prefer, it gives a nice and fast overview for new postings.

and what's up with the emoticons, they look absolutely terrible :angry::D:(8)

they are the blandest (does that word exist ?) I have ever seen !

please use a bit more color and a clearer set.

[edit] and some emoticons don't even work 8):(

[edit 2] please make the "Follow and receive reply notifications" tab unchecked as standard, it is a lot of extra clicking to do.

and every time I edit it is checked again.

[edit 3] the make-up of the comment box, has a different make-up and fonts when it is posted, then when I am typing in the comment box itself. the single enters, I do, are not shown, and everything is posted behind everything.

[edit 4] there used to be a sign next to the thread to show I had posted in that thread, this is no longer there.

And I keep having to log in all the time, what's up with that ?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

On some posts when you click on last it will not show up the last page