general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

After spending some more time looking through this forum i'd say my main gripe now is the so called Ajax loading. It is soo bad, and slow, from a users point of view. If you try to browse this forum like I do on many other forums it "sucks" (strong word...but I could not find any other). Take just such a simple thing as you are in the main forum, a bit down on the page, and you go into a subforum. When you go back you are, after the Ajax loading has finally finished, back in the main forum...but at the very top of the page?!?! So now you lost where you were and have to find your way back to continue where you were.

Take any other public forum, perform the same task, and you will notice that:

1. You will be taken back immediately to where you were on the main forum page.
  2. You are back on the main forum page on the same position that you were before.
  3. It all works nicely since this is what web browsers are good at.

Ajax may be good for many things but when used improperly, or in a bad way, it offers no advantage over native web browsing.

Again, this new forum offers some nice and good improvements to many other forums. But it came at the expense of loosing basic, expected, user experience. If you could combine both worlds then you would have a really good forum that probably could fit both new and old users.

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Nilrog, thank you for your 2 cents.

Speed is certainly something on our agenda.

The search engine is something we are working on right now, and improving on the speed of the website shouldn't be much longer. We hope in March to have improved the speed.

We'll add the tracking of your position as well, that is a good point. Thanks!

It seems that the links in the notifications (in the drop-down menu from the "bell") are not working as they should. If I click on a link to a post that has seen updates it takes me to the thread and not the the first unread post in that thread. Even though the link contains "#unread" at the end.

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

I am guessing when that happens, there has not really been a new reply, is there?

If there is, are you sure you haven't read it already through a different path?

The last shouldn't matter because now if you visit a thread by just going through the forum and read a new post, it should automatically remove the notification. (but I figured I would mention it any way)

Edited by Guest

I understand what you are saying and why :) I do not think so but I WILL double check next time and update.

I am guessing when that happens, there has not really been a new reply, is there?

If there is, are you sure you haven't read it already through a different path?

Looks like the latter was the case. I had already clicked on the new posts link for that thread because I found that one in another tab after I posted this. This time I clicked on the notification link for this thread without looking at any of the other posts and it took me to the first unread post here.

Sorry for the noise :)

[media=12019][/media]

Feel like adding some context to this image? ;)

ok strange stuff. I get a notification for your post @SandervG, I click it, read it. Then go to 'all unread topics'. This topic is still there.

Perhaps part of the ghost notifications?

It happens with more topics. But not always.

Edited by Guest

Just had issues again linking a Youtube video in a post.

Tried the insert button and just pasting the link, but non created working link.

Had to use tinyurl again to add a working link. (it was the ulti-eving 22feb post)

Lets say the youtube link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12341234 then you should copy and paste the '/watch?v=12341234' in the 'Youtube/Vimeo' button.

How did you do it?

ok strange stuff. I get a notification for your post @SandervG, I click it, read it. Then go to 'all unread topics'. This topic is still there.

Perhaps part of the ghost notifications?

It happens with more topics. But not always.

I'll forward it, thanks!

Lets say the youtube link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12341234 then you should copy and paste the '/watch?v=12341234' in the 'Youtube/Vimeo' button.

How did you do it?

I did not know that .... the instruction text says (in Dutch..) to include the URL.

YTurl.png.0823e1cf472885f274ad320f22ef47bb.png

That should also work. What is it that you copied?

Here is me pasting an entire URL (incl https://) in the youtube editor:

this one does not work....

copy/paste:

origin;

YouTubeURL.png.ea9c9ea72bcdb6bf5ec19d30be3bd282.png

strange thing is that it is complete.....

Edited by Guest

strange thing is that it is complete.....

&

No, the strange thing is  - that the ampersand produces a broken link...

&

Edited by Guest

Yes, it looks like the forum converts ampersands in links to their HTML representation so the URL is broken.

How do you link to individual post in this forum? In most forums each post has an easy to find link to itself. But I have not seen that this forum has such a link. That makes it hard to link to certain things since linking to a thread or a specific page in a thread is not always enough.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/11734-general-forum-feedback?page=43&sort=#reply-137071

Easy! Click on the share icon below the post you want to share ;)

If I do that I get a big gray block overlayed over the icon hinting that this is Adobe Flash content. That is blocked in my browser by default (Chrome) and will not change. So that looks like a somewhat broken feature if you need to rely on Flash for a simple link ;)

@UltiArjan, how did you retrieve that URL?

If you just use the original URL from youtube it should work as it should.

I would like it to be easier to switch between most recent (newest post that got a comment) and most recent (newest post).

• Like 1

@UltiArjan, how did you retrieve that URL?

If you just use the original URL from youtube it should work as it should.

I found the video here,

http://www.vouwbad.nl/portfolio/portfolio.html

click on it and it opens in a new tab (chrome) in youtube, then just did a copy paste from the browser header.