general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

After doing a search of the forum, there is no direct (obvious or at all?) link back into the main forum. Don't know if this should go back to the main page or just back to the spot where the initial search was made

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody that believes in 'Right First Time' is not an engineer, we learn more from what doesn't work than what does, it helps us to refine and develop, and if we weren't interested in being at the cutting edge we wouldn't have a 3D printer.

It's better to be quite and observe what's going on and others think your an idiot than open you mouth and prove them right.

Let's give the developers help and support not criticism and scorn in the development of this forum site

OK, it might be time for some first feedback. I'll try to be as constructive as possible.

First, the look is fresh and fits to the corporate identity. That's nice. It seems some initial problems were already fixed.

My first impression was that the whole forum is not extremely clearly arranged. But maybe this is just a question of becoming accustomed to the new system. What I - and obviously other people as well - miss is the 'new posts since last visit' option. For me, this is a must to implement it again. You have to know that maybe I'm one of the few who checked every post on the old forum (if only for a few seconds) with a few exceptions (mostly foreign-language subforums). This was manageable with the 'new posts since last visit' option. It's not possible with the new forum right now; I'll have to select.

This morning I tried to access a topic I was following closely in the past and which has gained quite some attraction. I did that by showing the latest posts and then click on to the 'last page' option. What I got was this:

UMCommunity_emptytopic.thumb.jpg.8e41f7b704cdba9e2b7383f939a0a801.jpg

Obviously, if a topic has exactly the amount of posts that a page is full, clicking on to 'last page' leads to the message of an empty topic. Maybe something worth to fix.

Then I tried to access the community pages with my smartphone. Maybe I'm not clever enough but I couldn't find the login option. Configuration: Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3, next Browser.

The best thing about the new community is that it consists of the same people participating as with the old forum! I'm looking forward to participate again, hopefully soon with my normal login again.

UMCommunity_emptytopic.thumb.jpg.8e41f7b704cdba9e2b7383f939a0a801.jpg

Then I tried to access the community pages with my smartphone. Maybe I'm not clever enough but I couldn't find the login option. Configuration: Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3, next Browser.

To login from mobile, Press menu icon on the ultimaker website. then on the top left of the menu there is a round icon with what is meant to be a persons head. press that to login.

To login from mobile, Press menu icon on the ultimaker website. then on the top left of the menu there is a round icon with what is meant to be a persons head. press that to login.

It worked. Thanks. Quite well hidden.

you have quite the long name that breaks the website. O_O

Well, should be only temporarily. I hope I can write again as 'Dim3nsioneer' next week ;) But it shows some other issue to fix on this forum.

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Another two things I'm missing and might be added for completion of the new forum:

- A button for jumping to the forum top when you are somewhere in your profile.

- Location and printer text within the short profile text in each post (I wonder that gr5 didn't mention it so far, or did he? ;) ). This really helps finding solutions to problems posted on the forum!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

As someone just liked my previous post: Is it correct that the likes are now anonymous?

At least you cannot like your own posts anymore... (well I could like the posts of my normal login and fake a few points... hehehe... :D )

Edited by Guest

Yes its anonymous now... think its on the change request of many to change this back..

• Like 1

Yep it's requested to know who liked :) pretty usefull for me in the print section so you can turn the favor back when someone likes your print

• Like 2

I agree with you, Didier. And it was me who just liked your post, so it's not completely anonymous anymore... :)

Edited by Guest

Anybody that believes in 'Right First Time' is not an engineer, we learn more from what doesn't work than what does, it helps us to refine and develop, and if we weren't interested in being at the cutting edge we wouldn't have a 3D printer.

It's better to be quite and observe what's going on and others think your an idiot than open you mouth and prove them right.

Let's give the developers help and support not criticism and scorn in the development of this forum site

@Izzy Seriously? How is offering honest criticism to the pile of crap this new forum has become is negative? The damn thing as it is, just doesn't work as easily as the previous forum. The posts we've followed are where exactly? and how do we find them again? I've lost my friends list, I struggle to find the threads I followed and found interesting which matter to me and you're banging on about some rubbish of giving the developers another chance? The only idiot opening their mouth imho is you :-)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Oh hey @Izzy and I've got more badges and points than you if that at matters - not. (Another daft idea @SanderVg)

Edited by Guest

Woops "spoiling the hippy happy vive I guess" for gawds sake wise up UM!

As a long time user (according to my badge) I am LOST :(- I guess my most used feature was "messages since last visit" and that is gone :(

So now I wander round like a lost soul - like in G+ where there are so many frills that the overwhelming feeling is confusion.

It could well be that I am just too old and have been used to pure information of the old BBS and usenet channels, whereas youngsters are happy with the more social media feel - but it should be remembered that the youngsters were largely replied to by the old timers - though maybe that has changed?

If there was a 'classic' button I would press it - without one it is just too frustrating fro my 15 minute daily visit.

I LOVE change - but removing a single button that allowed me to see what has happened since I last visited, is like windows taking away the power button (except it was still there somewhere).

Will come back in a month or so to see if it can be my daily fix.

Please take this as supporting criticism - I used to visit a wonderful community with an OK page format that worked, now I visit a wonderful page format which hides the reason for visiting.

James

PS - what on earth is a "commander" - is there a list of what these strange terms mean?

Edited by Guest
    confusion!
    • Like 3

The only idiot opening their mouth imho is you :-)

Please, try to refrain from name calling.

Just banned and removed posts from a spammer in this thread and that seems to have messed something up... Now page 13 says that the thread has no replies and page 14 continues the thread as normal...

Are you not updating post counts for threads when deleting posts perhaps? But that seems weird as well because then the "no replies" thing should pop up on page 14, right? It's like you're assigning a page number to individual posts? Very weird.

Test

tested a post on the empty page 13 but at least its published at the end...

best functionality ever. ghost posts!

Please add checking the notifications settings to your todo list.

I don't need a notification when I reply to a thread myself..

Also when someone quotes me I don't need a double notification (for the quote AND for the reply) on the same thread..

Finally it would be nice if clicking on notification would jump me to the correct spot in the thread and not to the start of the thread..

• Like 1