general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

Maybe I am completely overlooking it, but I miss a Search function. In my view it would be very convenient to be able to do a global search across all forums.

There is a search (top right) but it doesn't work all that well so your better of just using google.....

Thanks Arjan for pointing that out, I mistakenly thought that was a search function for the site itself; I did not realize it would yield results from the forums as well. And yeah, GIYF:)

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Hi Guys,

a short update on some changes we executed last week. Not the most crucial as what has been reported here a couple of times (notifications & search improvement*) but due to some optimization in the menu it felt like the right timing to address some other tasks that were on the list.

So the menu has changed. On the far left you can access the guidelines, house rules and an immediate link to creating a topic. It is the first menu you see (usually reading from left to right, and a starting point for the forums).

But the furthest away from your mouse (which is at 'community' because you don't have to go there frequently. Moved closer to the 'community' menu item, are the community areas, where you can navigate through the community platform.

Top categories on your right, if you already know where you want to go and the most popular featured print on the right. (Congratulations Erin!)

So what about the rest? Well, last week we changed the levels too.

As noted, the previous ones led to some confusion sometimes when someone was labeled as 'cura commander' when they actually did not have any particular Cura/programming skills. The new levels should indicate more how familiar you are with Ultimaker, its products and this community.

Here is an overview of the levels:

- Getting started

- 3D printing enthusiast

- I know my way around here

- Feel free to ask me

- I got this!

- Becoming an expert

- You can trust this guy

- Knows the BOM by heart

- Ultimaker family

The guidelines on how the forum works and house rules have also been updated.

On this particular page you can read more about how you can grow in points and thus levels. In the near future, I will update that page with information on what the privileges are you are entitled to at some point.

Some of these are still work in progress and I prefer to share these all at the same time at once. So please some more patience :)

There are potentially some interesting opportunities in beta-testing, meeting the Ultimaker team and getting global recognition by being featured!

* These points are still on the list.  As some of you know, who have been following this topic a bit longer, we are following these bugs for a while now. They lead further and further down a rabbit hole to a point where it seemed its no longer just a bug, but a fix would require some more heavy work. This is scheduled to finished in Q1 of next year. Thank you for your patience!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

On this particular page you can read more about how you can grow in points and thus levels.

Great page thanks for highlighting it. How do points and levels correspond? That info might be helpful too. Like is 1 level=50 points? or does it change as they go up?

ALSO

when I recently received some badges I did not get the points shown on this page. For example on my points page i can see when I received the "forum superstar" I only got 50 points not 100 like the page says. and "guest blog contributor" was only 20 points and (i may be wrong) I think that must be that same as "community author" which should be 100 points.

Not that this is more important than finally removing the search and pointing everyone to use google to search which is the sensible thing to do. :p

I just thought if you are interested in promoting the badge and ranking system, then it should be clear and work as advertised.

I somehow missed the post, but as I said earlier, the old system was kinda useless. This is already way better @SandervG! I'm curious to see what the perks will be :)

Having another look at the new titles I think there can still be small improvements. For example if someone who has a lot of experience in 3D printing with UMs joins the forum. He will be an expert on things, while his status will 'lag' behind so to speak.

Not sure how to fix that though.

There are potentially some interesting opportunities in beta-testing, meeting the Ultimaker team and getting global recognition by being featured!

Can haz UM friend status *puppy eyes* :D? Also, perhaps even more important, you mentioned beta testing :p? You guys know I'm always in for that, though I'm not as active as I have been. But I believe you used the points as an indication of the more active and awesome community members to select for beta, rather than giving them points for it :p

Anyway, keep it up!

I somehow missed the post, but as I said earlier, the old system was kinda useless. This is already way better @SandervG! I'm curious to see what the perks will be :)

Having another look at the new titles I think there can still be small improvements. For example if someone who has a lot of experience in 3D printing with UMs joins the forum. He will be an expert on things, while his status will 'lag' behind so to speak.

Not sure how to fix that though.

Can haz UM friend status *puppy eyes* :D? Also, perhaps even more important, you mentioned beta testing :p? You guys know I'm always in for that, though I'm not as active as I have been. But I believe you used the points as an indication of the more active and awesome community members to select for beta, rather than giving them points for it :p

Anyway, keep it up!

Thanks! :)

I will also add how the points relate to the levels, that is a good point.

I don't know how to fix that Titus, if you have some suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them. Of course, this is just an indication and no absolute truth. There is no way we can know what someones life is outside of the forums. Our cookies don't stretch that far ;)

The beta-testing of course has some guidelines and it is something you have to 'unlock'. This is still a partial WIP, so I need to be sync in with other departments some more before I can outline this clearly. Before that, we kinda just have to go 'organically' like we have done before.

The general idea is that expert users have valuable feedback when it comes to beta-testing because they know what they are talking about. And they can look beyond a, possibly, first glance result. On the other side, they deserve to be involved with beta testing (if they want) from their help and engagement with the forums. The latter can be indicated by the points / level.

The testing itself does not result in any extra points. Something to think about, thanks! :)

- And the badge is on its way Titus ;)

And small teaser.. (please god don't make me regret this).. we may see a huge improvement in the search before the end of this year :O:D

So the improvement in functionality of the forum does not suffer from these changes :)

• Like 1

Would having 900+ commits in the Cura github project entitle me to the Cura Contributor batch? (I am mostly curious what it looks like)

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/graphs/contributors

Update: ow, I blew the surprise. This is what it looks like:

cura-contributor.png.005f95ff78703a2e9564f4bc795fde35.png

Would having 900+ commits in the Cura github project entitle me to the Cura Contributor batch? (I am mostly curious what it looks like)

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/graphs/contributors

Update: ow, I blew the surprise. This is what it looks like:

curacontributor.png

Pff, I have 1300 commits and don't have the badge either ;)

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Pff, I have 1300 commits and don't have the badge either ;)

curacontributor.png.1aa82296c3f5eb7aa4f24f34bd4dde60.png

curacontributor.png.1aa82296c3f5eb7aa4f24f34bd4dde60.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I've added the badge to my profile in the only way I know how...

• Like 1

haha great badge!! Maybe I should consider changing the badge into this. hmmm.

This is a badge that should be connected to a profile manually, and I think my focus was more on the community than internally but fair enough. You both are entitled to it. And make sure to let me know if anyone else deserves this specific badge as you have a better sight on this than me! ;)

Anyone on the contributors page of Uranium, Cura & CuraEngine should get the badge I think.

Anyone on the contributors page of Uranium, Cura & CuraEngine should get the badge I think.

Thanks, I'll check those out!

I think my focus was more on the community than internally but fair enough.

Actually... I no longer have an @ultimaker.com email address.

And I've also made contributions to Cura / Uranium outside of the time I got paid for it ;)

I only have one Cura contributor badge unfortunately... The gratitude that comes with it does not specify whether or not you got paid for it ;)

Hmm going by that list I'm missing quite a few badges.

Well, since I don't have to badges...I'll have to stick with Sarcasm :)

What about contributors to PostProcessingPlugin? ;)

@SandervG can you also check the points awarded, seems like there is a disconnect somewhere.

On this particular page you can read more about how you can grow in points and thus levels.

Great page thanks for highlighting it. How do points and levels correspond? That info might be helpful too. Like is 1 level=50 points? or does it change as they go up?

ALSO

when I recently received some badges I did not get the points shown on this page. For example on my points page i can see when I received the "forum superstar" I only got 50 points not 100 like the page says. and "guest blog contributor" was only 20 points and (i may be wrong) I think that must be that same as "community author" which should be 100 points.

Not that this is more important than finally removing the search and pointing everyone to use google to search which is the sensible thing to do. :p

I just thought if you are interested in promoting the badge and ranking system, then it should be clear and work as advertised.

While I am still waiting for the badges to come in, I would like to update you on some of the recent changes to our dear forums. One in particular, I am rather happy to finally share with you!

Hall of fame

First, let me start with a new page. There are so many gems in our community that we felt it was worth our while to highlight them for you.

Some of our most active, valuable and / or contributing community members have received a special place in our hearts, and now also in our hall of fame!

This is an organic list, so there is a chance for everyone to shine among those other stars. You can learn from these guys how they got up there :)

This page also shows some of our most famous prints, which can be found on our 3D print section. By uploading your print your print can also be added to selection. I would recommend to have a look, perhaps you have not seen them all.

It also shows a range of popular topics, which can be interesting for both new and expert users. Finally, it shows a collection of Community projects, which are founded right here, or have been deeply influenced by our community.

Keep an eye on this one!

Search

YES! Finally. It has happened. We have a reliable search feature. Dare I say reliable? I dare! Because from (yesterday) on google has our back. Looking for anything? Let our (google) search help you find it! Give it a try and let me know what you think :)

That was it for now. I am happy we have been able to enable these improvements for you guys on the brink of 2016. I wish you all the best and joy for the upcoming holidays!

• Like 2

google

I applaud you! I thought you said it would never happen, but better late then never.

It passed my first tests exactly as I expect a proper search function to function.

Let's see what this does to the forum!

• Like 1

Yes. Finally Google!! And it works <3

Yes, search seems to work much better now, I got accurate results.