general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

Ummmm, something strange happened this morning. All pages loaded much faster and no major waiting. Will be interesting to see if I just caught the interwebby gods being asleep or benign.

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No difference for me...neither in the morning...or now in the evening. There is still a major delay before the forum loads. And the rest of the experience is no different from how it has been earlier this year.

Hi @Korneel, sorry to hear about the slow loading time on your side. Is it the forum overview page specifically that is slow (not the dashboard?)

That page is also really slow for me. @UltiArjan, how fast is the forum on your side? Is it slower in NL than it is at other places? (Nilrog, your feedback is also noted..)

The server migration should really have made it much faster. A bit disappointed about the results.. But outside of this, we're working on another solution from which I like to think it can not fail. I know we've tried many different things in the past already, the thing I like about it is that we invest time and money in trying to make the experience better, the fact we've only booked small results is not so nice. I can't say much about it yet but let's say there is light on the horizon.

• Like 1

Back to the usual times. Here it is when I try to log in and then go from thread to thread. It loads much faster before I log in. I am using a toolbar shortcut to take me to the usual forum main page, so I do not come in through the main Ultimaker site.

Hi @Korneel, sorry to hear about the slow loading time on your side. Is it the forum overview page specifically that is slow (not the dashboard?)

That page is also really slow for me. @UltiArjan, how fast is the forum on your side? Is it slower in NL than it is at other places? (Nilrog, your feedback is also noted..)

The server migration should really have made it much faster. A bit disappointed about the results.. But outside of this, we're working on another solution from which I like to think it can not fail. I know we've tried many different things in the past already, the thing I like about it is that we invest time and money in trying to make the experience better, the fact we've only booked small results is not so nice. I can't say much about it yet but let's say there is light on the horizon.

for me it took that long this morning from the main homepage to go to the forum overview (so just click community > forum directly). it is making progress since it is only taking 8 seconds from clicking on the notification to get to this actual post.

I'm sorry about this @sandervg , but we are, what is it, 2 years in since the old (well working) forum was migrated to this and it still isn't working right...

• Like 2

for me it took that long this morning from the main homepage to go to the forum overview (so just click community > forum directly). it is making progress since it is only taking 8 seconds from clicking on the notification to get to this actual post.

I'm sorry about this @sandervg , but we are, what is it, 2 years in since the old (well working) forum was migrated to this and it still isn't working right...

It also took me 20 seconds to like this post

It's way worse than the awful it has always been

Each click is 45 seconds or more until the next step

Logging in mobile fails often. I get to the password field and then the "Aww snap" chrome crash

I enjoy going through a forum and reading about things. But this site is woefully unreadable for a long time now. It's frustrating

• Like 1

And the "next page" navigation...that has been broken since the beginning of this year...

Initial page load for the forum...from typing the address and hitting enter until you see the main forum page...40 secs...

This has been the case since I returned to checking the forum after my summer vacation. I don't know what you did to the backend...but how this could not have been discovered earlier and addressed already is...:O

How are the loading times on the rest of the site compared to the forums, or when you log out? Logging out makes a significant difference for me, which seems like the servers are fast enough, but it's the architecture of the forum itself that makes it slow. Has to load a lot of (unnecessary) data every time.

It has indeed been long, too long. Like I said in my previous post, hopefully, I can share bigger and better news with you somewhere in the next few weeks!

I have to second the fact that once logged in, the speed is significantly slower. It is not a speedy site, but average for the amount of doodads animating around and such. But once logged in, the forum is really bad other than that one bump I had a day or two ago.

But even logged in, the rest of the site seems ok. I just went through several product pages.

How are the loading times on the rest of the site compared to the forums

As usual since the "upgrade" of the forum - I normally open simultaneously one after another several tabs in Chrome - four or five, starting with this forum. The I read all of them, except the forum which just finishes loading by the time I browsed quickly thru the rest of the sites.

That's why I rarely go here and did not visit Youmagine for ages.

As usual since the "upgrade" of the forum - I normally open simultaneously one after another several tabs in Chrome - four or five, starting with this forum. The I read all of them, except the forum which just finishes loading by the time I browsed quickly thru the rest of the sites.

That's why I rarely go here and did not visit Youmagine for ages.

youmagine..

that place where 1 out of 5 downloads succeeds..

• Like 1

Once the forum page has loaded, clicking on a post or subforum is better. Although it is still worse that other forum software. But at least that part did not get worse over summer.

But there are actions that also shows sign of too high latency. I don't remember what I did yesterday, but that action took like 20 secs. Maybe its doing a lot more DB accesses then, or it is accessing some data that has way too high latency.

Beyond the responsiveness of the servers, the overall architecture of the app is questionable...

Just going to the Forum tab, when there is nothing to display, generates 102 requests and transfers about 4 MB!

Whatever the connection speed is, it will take some time.

5a333e6218c19_ScreenShot2017-08-16at14_23_49.thumb.png.e827985a707842d19b26db56d15edaf2.png

Then there is a HUGE list of 3rd parties involved on which you have no control: the same "empty" forum page sources code from 30 different sites -- only 2 of them controlled by Ultimaker (ultimaker.com and cloudfront) (and shall we talk about privacy ? :O )

5a333e62434d4_ScreenShot2017-08-16at14_24_25.png.2319837cd04d08a7e9338a900dfe7898.png5a333e62755ca_ScreenShot2017-08-16at14_24_46.png.0fbcd09285569ff83c71a0736fd07f4a.png

So it is not a big surprise to me that all this is sometimes on the slow side...

Using a privacy filter for your browser (like uBblock Origin) makes things a bit better though.

• Like 2

Thankfully the product pages don't seem to be affected too much. I know I was in and out of the Materials section reading about Polycarbonate settings and a few other items yesterday.

ok, so privacy concerns aside (i think most of the url's opened are just standard ad managers such as google analytics) and the fact that it's hosted on Amazon AWS (one of the most notoriously companies when it comes to treating open source in a fair way, so that made me laugh) something has been wrong since the beginning of this forum. I have no clue what it is, but something is just killing performance..

Like I said in my previous post, hopefully, I can share bigger and better news with you somewhere in the next few weeks!

Wohooo the suspense ....

Beyond the responsiveness of the servers, the overall architecture of the app is questionable...

Not to mention the UI...if you are not using a retina display and have good, no top notch, eye vision you will struggle with this site.

As a simple example...hit the search button in the top right...and tell me if you did not have to think if the click actually worked...there is a search field there...but it is so well hidden even Sherlock Holmes would have had a hard time locating it...

still, notifications take me to the top of this page, rather than to the 2 new posts.

That problem originates from launch I believe...

That issue seems to be random...it doesn't always happen to me...but too often.

Another issue is that if you click in "unread posts" on a topic that you have never read before you are not taken to the first post...you are taken to the first reply...

That issue seems to be random...it doesn't always happen to me...but too often.

Another issue is that if you click in "unread posts" on a topic that you have never read before you are not taken to the first post...you are taken to the first reply...

Yeah, you are right, it is not always, I believe with more than 1 notification only.

And yes, first unread button to a topic you have never seen points you to the first reply instead of the actual first post. Also a bug mentioned since launch...

Wrote a long reply to a thread this weekend only to discover later that the forum trashed my post without throwing any kind of error. And I didn't feel like trying to reply all over again.

How about returning to a forum software with a proven track-record? It's not as if there isn't any good alternatives available... Surely by now you must have realized that this forum is a disaster? Nothing you have done in the past year to, as you say improve things, has been an improvment :( Not even faults with clear descriptions of what is not working is reacted upon :angry:

• Like 2