general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

I'm actually a bit pissed off as I have to write this post a second time after I was hit by a timeout of the forum when finishing it the first time... :(

@TheGuyKnownAsAndersOlsson: Welcome back among the living, or are we rather the walking dead? I wonder how many TheGuyKnownAs-Logins we might get... ;)

@Daid: Although I'm seriously concerned about the consequences your posts may have for you, Ultimaker and this community, you have my full respect. Let's hope it helps to push things into the right direction.

I'm actually worried about the fact that R&D people were apperently ignored when this forum was set up. This is very different to the spirit we used to know about within Ultimaker, where everything was feeling like in a big family.

However, R&D people were not the only ones to be ignored. I remember having expressed my serious concerns about gamification of the forum. Others were with me. Well, I cannot feel other than having been ignored.

I'm not a software engineer. This helps me to watch all this from a certain distance without having the feeling to know better. Maybe it also helps to be Swiss and therefore neutral... ;)I think we are at the point where we all will have to give UM a serious and realistic chance to improve the situation. On the other hand I expect UM to loose not one hour for chasing the solutions. If they fail within reasonable time - others might be more competent to define such a time than me - I would support an inofficial Ultimaker forum. I hope this is a fair deal.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · general forum feedback

In the promises to fix things I keep reading the there will be a "filter" for un-read posts.

I hope you really meant read post tracking, where individual posts show which ones have been read in the thread. I want to be able to see read posts while in the thread, not a filter that would just show a list of posts like the current filters functionality.

Also I think people have been saying pretty loud and clear we need the over view page back. The current layout requiring you to go into each sub section is a time killer.

I really feel way more disconnected here from the content I came to read and interact with that in any other forum/community page. This new design is disconnecting people, kinda the opposite of the stated goal.

• Like 1

On the positive side, the forum remembers the login information now. So some work is being done.

Let's hope for the better. At least, for now.

I do not want to move anywhere from here. The feelings of Daid go both ways - this place is dear for me, too.

Maybe, they will wake up and replace this crap with a normal forum engine, who knows...

@peetersm

Also I think people have been saying pretty loud and clear we need the over view page back. The current layout requiring you to go into each sub section is a time killer.

Not only a time killer... i notice i just dont do it.. so im sure i miss most of whats going on.. just looking at stuff i was already following..

• Like 2

I'm actually a bit pissed off as I have to write this post a second time after I was hit by a timeout of the forum when finishing it the first time... :(

Yes, happened to me last night. I wasn't logged in very long when it happened. in the end I just said screw it and never did make my post. Waisted 20 minutes writing something that never got posted. I was going to defend UM and Sander against some newb's caustic posting. I think it was Chipsample or something.

You're not making any allies like that Chip. And these are the people who might help when you find yourself in trouble. I for one will remember your poorly delivered venom.

Which brings to mind, isn't there a minimum age requirement in order to belong or post?

Matt

I'm actually worried about the fact that R&D people were apperently ignored when this forum was set up. This is very different to the spirit we used to know about within Ultimaker, where everything was feeling like in a big family.

However, R&D people were not the only ones to be ignored. I remember having expressed my serious concerns about gamification of the forum. Others were with me. Well, I cannot feel other than having been ignored.

Frankly, I had the impression that things changed when the company website was relaunched. Aimed for a super slick design but harder to use than before. But I didn't care much.

Then, UM copied the M*bot move with Extended and GO. Driven by sales and marketing departments - understandable but no technical progress.

Then they cancelled dual extrusion "Doesn't match the UM experience .. "

Now the forum redesign focuses on likes, badges and avatars. Even without reading a single line of text the message is: "Look what a big community of great people".

There is nothing wrong with that ... if the core functionality doesn't fall behind.

In short, 90% marketing, 10% R&D. I'm feeling a lack of substance.

• Like 5

Not only a time killer... i notice i just dont do it.. so im sure i miss  most of whats going on.. just looking at stuff i was already following..

Me too, although actually,I don't even read up on what I used to follow. Can't put myself to it at all...

• Like 2

foehnsturm - totally agree with every word. I just thought back at that time that it's might be only me being too old and outdated.

Me too, although actually,I don't even read up on what I used to follow. Can't put myself to it at all...

+1

• Like 3

so lost :/ cant upload prints, site seems to work like facebook now, most popular reply at the top? website almost unusable, please change it back!

edit: thank you daid, we all appreciate your efforts.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

UM. Please revert back to the old forum but with a fully working search engine. Next, sack or move those involved & responsible for creating this mess - as they're dragging UM & the community it's built on i]which was/is [/i]very much pivitol to your (UM) appeal, directly into the mire.

@SanderVg Easy and so simple. eh? I'd like to think you'll act but I doubt you will. I do hope to be proven wrong. But I just expect the usual more apologies "we're listening" from you which you have become experienced in doing, while just going ahead regardless anyway. Question: what does that tell you?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

So I say: Close this shit. Put in normal forum software which we all know that works. Any effort put in here is a waste of money and effort. Effort and money that could be put into other areas.

I also ask you all. Do not hold back, do not bite your lip. Tell what you really think! Remember that the forum is there for you, you are not there for the forum.

+1 Thanks Daid for telling it like it is. Fully support your view.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I hate to pile on, but I must:

• Too much white space everywhere! I feel like I have to constantly scroll through topics, then posts to see anything new.
    • Persist sessions. There's no reason for the login cookie to expire overnight.
    • Don't make me reread. There does not seem to be an intuitive way to jump to unread posts.
    • Better topic to topic navigation. Give us back the navigation to the new posts in the next topic.
    • WYSIWYG! What is this, 1998??? BBCode instead of HTML is so last century

More, undoubtedly, to follow...

• Like 2

Yes. I was expecting this problem when I made my posts, so I always copied them to a text file beforehand.

@Daid: Although I'm seriously concerned about the consequences your posts may have for you, Ultimaker and this community, you have my full respect. Let's hope it helps to push things into the right direction.

I'm more concerned with the attitude of some people in Ultimaker. That's what I'm trying to highlight to the proper people now that I have their attention.

@TheGuyKnownAsAndersOlsson: Thanks. Things like that will help in making my case at Ultimaker.

I actually heard yesterday that my actions (not the crappy excuse for a forum) is hurting the community according to some people. I would have loved to make a poll about that. But... well, also not possible. Anyhow, I can collect a whole bunch of quotes from this topic alone to show otherwise.

@foehnsturm R&D is working very hard on something pretty awesome. The Go and Extended where just to buy some time. Because it proved to be more complex then initially guessed. We also lost time due to all the new people, we've grown quite a bit in R&D after the launch of the UM2. But getting knowledge to spread takes time.

• Like 4

I actually heard yesterday that my actions (not the crappy excuse for a forum) is hurting the community according to some people. I would have loved to make a poll about that.

I've just been reading this topic and @korneel's one the last few days, I really don't feel like participating anymore. It just seems that the entire thing is trying to push me out and I can't fantom the energy anymore to bother.

But @Daid, I just have to respond here utter my support for you. All the UM announcements and decisions lately just give me the impression that people there run around short-sighted and with blinkers. You seem to be one of the only persons breaking that pattern and I applaud you for it.

And like I've said before: The UM2 is not a plug and play printer and we don't need another facebook. Don't treat your community like a bunch of dumb assess. Just a clean and clear forum where people can find the information very quickly.

And seriously! I just pressed the bold button in that editor toolbar and it navigates to the top of the page? My god, you amateurs! Ever heard of an event.preventDefault()? So many amateur mistakes here, I really can't wrap my head around it.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

@foehnsturm R&D is working very hard on something pretty awesome. The Go and Extended where just to buy some time. Because it proved to be more complex then initially guessed. We also lost time due to all the new people, we've grown quite a bit in R&D after the launch of the UM2. But getting knowledge to spread takes time.

Well Sander mentioned something similar. I know there is hard competition and a lot of copycats in the market. Therefore I understand the "we won't tell a single word about it" attitude. However, the lack of any information where things are heading and when is unsatisfying for the more experienced people here. Hey, UM is (still ;-) not Apple.

I actually heard yesterday that my actions (not the crappy excuse for a forum) is hurting the community according to some people. I would have loved to make a poll about that. But... well, also not possible. Anyhow, I can collect a whole bunch of quotes from this topic alone to show otherwise.

The community which is supposed to be hurt might be the community this gamificated thing was designed for but not the community which used to provide the valuable content here. So you have my full support as a speaker of the old-fashioned plain talking.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Alright, Positive news should also be posted :)

first morning and haven't seen spam ! Yay :p

first morning I don't have to log in.

you see, there is progress :D

• Like 1

Indeed, Moderator approval is now manual (as before) for new users. That will reduce the spam drastically.

Login remember me is now also fixed.

A lot needs to be improved still, but the thing is not frozen at least.

Clicking the "last" button in the overview list leads to an empty page still…

(edit: after my post it did take me to the last post)

Edited by Guest

I really don't feel like participating anymore. It just seems that the entire thing is trying to push me out and I can't fantom the energy anymore to bother.

Another hear hear!

We could start another forum where we can dance and sing and discuss about 3D printing the way we like it. I would really want that place to be the Ultimaker forum though, the interaction between manufacturer and pro-users is so valuable. But if we can't find that here, perhaps we should start/find something ourselfs.

@Blizz Bold didn't scroll up for me in FireFox

@Daid, hope you'll be ok!

• Like 2

@Daid

I actually heard yesterday that my actions (not the crappy excuse for a forum) is hurting the community according to some people.

What actually hurts me a lot is this very forum or what it has become. It's design. It's lack of usability. It's bugs. It's poorly planned rollout. It's failed implementation.

What actually keeps me visiting this almost the only topic here is the people like Daid whose posts clearly show that there is hope yet and the belief that their (and our) voice will be heard and taken with the sincerity the UM is so valued for.

Right now, the UM has some very brave decisions to make. We are waiting.

• Like 2

Hi UM-Family:), some good news, I was able to finaly reset my password yesterday night so I can login again with my "old" account. I hope this is true for others also? @dim3nsioneer, @theguyknownasandersolsson?

@Daid, brave move. I seriously hope that initiates changes (top down) as forseen.

I don't want to put to much words into this, but @Daid has the support of a lot of people within UM.

I love the forum and the people on it. The idea of a new envisioned forum was not a bad idea. The way it was executed is a different story. I'm hoping and trusting that the people in charge will take the correct decisions.

But like Daid said, we started on the forum and we need to listen to it! so please keep on voicing your concerns! The more they hear about the problems the more they will have to act.

• Like 2

As an active user of the forum I have to say a few things on this

There are some issues, i can't doubt that but on the other hand i believe that things are getting better.

It took a couple of days for me to get used to it but now i'm beggining to like it.

Now that we can avoid being spammed massively, the dashboard is pretty usefull, for me i can follow easily the activity going on. I have a quick overview of what's being said.

I know that the developers are working hard to adress all the issues, soon we will have a very nice platform which will help all of us to get better at what we are doing.

Maybe the new community is too fresh and has some bugs but all together we can make this a good place where everyone is happy, and having a good support for those who are having troubles with their printers.

Please continue all sharing your thoughts and feedback it's very helpfull!

From my point of view we are getting to a better place, maybe it will take some time to get there but i'm confident :)

• Like 2

I really don't feel like participating anymore. It just seems that the entire thing is trying to push me out and I can't fantom the energy anymore to bother.

Another hear hear!

We could start another forum where we can dance and sing and discuss about 3D printing the way we like it. I would really want that place to be the Ultimaker forum though, the interaction between manufacturer and pro-users is so valuable. But if we can't find that here, perhaps we should start/find something ourselfs.

@Blizz Bold didn't scroll up for me in FireFox

@Daid, hope you'll be ok!

So do we! I am looking forward to the days we are all dancing and singing again and our online lives are like a jolly 3D printed musical.

In contrary of what some might think right now, at Ultimaker we do listen to what our users are saying.

If I may refer to our initial topic on the previous forum, we mentioned gamification, which at the time was frowned upon. Noted.

We still liked the idea and believed it could still motivate users but due to your feedback it influenced us to convert this idea, and right now it is only there on a very low level. On the previous forums we already had points and levels, but now they have different names and we added (just a few) badges.

I also want to shine some light at what is going on and what will be happening in the upcoming days.

After collecting feedback our developers have been working on some bugs that may not have been super visible on the front end, but significantly influenced how some things worked. We are now shifting more towards the front end, as you can see the problem has been solved which prevented users accessing the forums. The doors are open and everyone is welcome at this party.

But, we have installed a bad-ass bouncer who is keeping all the spammers out, so no one is interrupting.

Change is happening!

Today we continue on fixing some other bugs, like fixing an error that occasionally popped up while uploading an image/print.

Some other things that will be addressed are our moderator rights, uploading blogs and some tweaks in your profile.

Being open, we can also tell you about some of the things that are up next.

You will probably start seeing most of it during next week, but we will start on improving the notifications first.

Merge the notifications that concern a single reply, that should prevent getting a single notification for a like, a tag, a quote and a reply, all for the same message. The notification should also take you directly to the corresponding message, not page one. And the notification should tell you who replied, or liked.

We will also add a filter, that will enable you to see what the latest updated topics are that you are following, showing partially the latest reply, marked as unread.

Followed by the general new topics/replies.

Similar to the very popular view we all grew to like on our previous forum.

The filter settings you use will be stored so when you get back to the forum you automatically will have your accustomed overview of relevant information.

The feedback regarding information density also came across, don't worry, we are still working on this one on how to improve this the best way. We will let you know more once we have more news. Just so you know it is on our radar.

Collecting and processing the feedback started when we went live and as soon as we believed we had a clear picture of what needed to be done we started planning and executing. Looking forward hearing what you all think.

We still stand behind our vision, where the forum is a part of the community platform we are building. The community platform will allow a closer interaction with Ultimaker on various requested levels. We just need to make the forum a little bit better now. And we want to do this with you.

• Like 4