How can I prevent the linear bearing from popping out of my UMO+ printhead?

lrvick

Posted · How can I prevent the linear bearing from popping out of my UMO+ printhead?

This happens frequently on my new UMO+ and has ruined several prints including one yesterday. After 13 hours of perfect printing the X bearing finally slid and fell into the left side of the sliderblock past the wall thus tilting the printhead.

Can I drop in a UM2 style sliderblock like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361113040900?lpid=82&chn=ps

Or perhaps has anyone printed any drop in slider-block alternatives with success that have a better lock on the linear bearings?

Open to any ideas.

Posted · How can I prevent the linear bearing from popping out of my UMO+ printhead?

Yep, one of those should work. A dab of glue should also work. The linear bearings popping out is a result of tolerances of wood; sometimes its just not quite tight enough.

The um2 block won't work on umo+ without some redesign, since the alu block has different screw holes. Try to check if all the sides are correctly screw or use some glue, I don't know what's the best glue for metal+wood, but I suppose just an epoxy would do the job.

You could try to laser cut the upper part or find someone who has a spare of that wood parts. I bet that if you ask support they might even send you a few x4 wood parts. Personally I would not glue them, but that's just me :D

Have you double check if the x/y are perfectly aligned? That also should help remove extra tension? Just dropping ideas...

I'd just use a dab of glue or shim the hole with a thin piece of paper or something like that. I also agree with neotko, check that the alignment is good, there should be very little friction pulling on the bearings normally.

Alignment is dead on and everything is tight (I have been checking it frequently). It does seem the bearings are just a loose fit in the wood housing.

I suppose some epoxy would probably do the job though that really feels like a dirty hack. That said, I can't even print a replacement housing the way it is running now.

Epoxy it is.

Anyone know where to source these exact bearings (mcmaster or otherwise) in case I muck them up too much for transfer into a future replacement enclosure?

I bough x4 3 weeks ago from makertronics.co.uk - Linear Bearing LM6LUU 6mm Long Bushing