Buying Advice

Posted · Buying Advice

I am considering either an Ultimaker or Zortrax m200

My company runs computer camps and teach over 1000 kids each year and I want to teach 3D modeling & 3D printing. Reliability is important and ease of use.

The new 2GO model is interesting but don't like that it doesn't have a heated bed.

Any opinions?

thanks

Posted · Buying Advice

Totally different machines! The zortrax prints incredibly beautiful parts but it is very slow and getting it levelled is a major pain. The zortrax only prints ABS and it does it very well. The UM2Go only prints PLA plastic and it does it very well and much faster than the zortrax and the bed stays level for months. Leveling procedure is much easier and faster also on the UM2go. ABS is stinky so don't use lots of printers without ventillation. um2go comes with great carrying case.

3dprinting is tough when teaching kids because it takes typically an hour per print if you keep the prints small. Whereas with laser cutting I can have 20 kids design stuff and then print out all 20 designs at once in about 3 minutes of cutting. But if it's a multi-day course then you could have them pick up their prints the next day (if you have a few printers).

3d modeling however sounds like a great course!

Posted · Buying Advice

thanks GR5

my camps are week long and plan to start printing Thursday and hopefully can be done by end of Friday

Guess I don't really need ABS as end product isn't being used in a conventional sense. Case is nice !

Totally different machines!  The zortrax prints incredibly beautiful parts but it is very slow and getting it levelled is a major pain.  The zortrax only prints ABS and it does it very well.  The UM2Go only prints PLA plastic and it does it very well and much faster than the zortrax and the bed stays level for months.  Leveling procedure is much easier and faster also on the UM2go.  ABS is stinky so don't use lots of printers without ventillation.  um2go comes with great carrying case.

3dprinting is tough when teaching kids because it takes typically an hour per print if you keep the prints small.  Whereas with laser cutting I can have 20 kids design stuff and then print out all 20 designs at once in about 3 minutes of cutting.  But if it's a multi-day course then you could have them pick up their prints the next day (if you have a few printers).

3d modeling however sounds like a great course!