Issues printing skinny alignment pegs

faalexand

Posted · Issues printing skinny alignment pegs

Hello all,

I'm trying a simple 2-part print where I align some printed holes (2.4 mm diameter) to a peg on the adjoining piece. The peg I've printed was designed to be about 2mm in diameter and around 4mm tall but seems to continuously come out as a blob that is larger than the other printed alignment hole. I've attached a picture for reference. Any clues on how to fix this?5a330d03d6736_20150423_1620441.thumb.jpg.df6dcb08c2a927229495c315d64cf081.jpg

5a330d03d6736_20150423_1620441.thumb.jpg.df6dcb08c2a927229495c315d64cf081.jpg

Cory's advice is good. Alternatives are to print a small tower next to your part so the head can go over there and print that to let your pin cool down. Or you can choose "cool head lift" feature but be aware that while the head moves aside a small string will slowly come out of the nozzle and then when it goes to do the next layer it will attach that string to your pin. But these strings are easy to remove later. Still the best solution is to either print 2 at a time or add a towwer at least one layer taller than your print.

I thought it might have something to do with overheating the peg. I don't have access to my print settings now as it's on my work computer. I'll try printing multiples and see how it works out. Thank you both for the suggestions!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 15 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies