My new favorite filament: PET+ from MadeSolid

chrisw

Posted · My new favorite filament: PET+ from MadeSolid

madesolid_pet_black.thumb.jpg.e09628cfc9080879140fd5c8b69d4e1b.jpg

I started using this PET+ a couple weeks ago. So far I've tried 3 different colors (tangerine, translucent red, black) and they all perform well. No warping or shrinkage, zero blockages. I don't even bother to do a cold pull. Instead I use the Move Material function from the UM2 each time before printing, and whatever was in the nozzle melts and flows on out.

I'm having much better results with this material than I did with XT, My red XT was brittle and had a tendency to warp if everything wasn't just right. I e-mailed colorfabb about XT and UV rays, because some of my prints will be spending many hours outdoors. Colorfabb didn't have any encouragement for me about using XT outdoors. MadeSolid told me this PET+ won't be negatively affected by sunlight for the couple hundred hours total outdoor time that I inquired about. I still need to test that claim of course.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows any serious negatives about PET+. I'm quite happy with it, but I'd like to know its weaknesses too. Anybody?

Chris

madesolid_pet_black.thumb.jpg.e09628cfc9080879140fd5c8b69d4e1b.jpg

I had some issues with interlayer adhesion but I had that with any PET material I tried so far except XT clear made in 2013.

Dim3nsioneer, I had that issue once with this PET+, but I was running at higher speed than recommended with taller layers than usual. If I follow the manufacturer's suggestions or stick to similar speed, heat, and layer height settings, then my parts come out as solid pieces.

On one of my prints I tested a vertical wall to destruction. It broke in a wavy line across the wall, instead of straight across on a layer line. Inside the break it looked like 1 piece of plastic. I couldn't see separate layers. With XT I've also seen this sometimes, but everything needed to be just right, and I'd still have warping.

Hey Chris,

Glad to hear you're having good results with PET+. Do you mind sharing what settings you're using?

Settings that've provided me with good results so far:

nozzle: .4 mm

nozzle temp: 250

bed temp: 70

layer height: .15

speed: 38 mm/s

retraction: 30 mm/s, 4 mm

fan: off

filament: 3.00 mm

flow rate: 105%

movement: 225 mm/s

nozzle: .6 mm

nozzle temp: 250

bed temp: 70

layer height: .25

speed: 35 mm/s

retraction: 30 mm/s, 4 mm

filament: 3.00 mm

flow rate: 105%

Also I've started using less glue stick than usual (thin layers). It makes removal easier after cooling, and I haven't had anything come loose while printing with this material yet.

• Like 1

Update after months of use: MadeSolid's product works great, however it's pricey. So I was always looking for an equal peformer for a lower price. Well I found it. Esun3d makes some PETG that prints even better for me than MadeSolid's. Esun's is a bit more flexible after the print is completed (maybe more glycol in the mix?). That works for my projects, and Esun's is less than half the price of MadeSolid's. Score! Also the diameter of Esun's has been more consistent, always below 3.0mm, ususally right around 2.95 - 2.97. So it works better in a stock UM2 bowden tube.

Chris

Update after months of use:   MadeSolid's product works great, however it's pricey.  So I was always looking for an equal peformer for a lower price.  Well I found it.  Esun3d makes some PETG that prints even better for me than MadeSolid's.   Esun's is a bit more flexible after the print is completed (maybe more glycol in the mix?).  That works for my projects, and Esun's is less than half the price of MadeSolid's.  Score!    Also the diameter of Esun's has been more consistent, always below 3.0mm, ususally right around 2.95 - 2.97.   So it works better in a stock UM2 bowden tube.

Chris

I am testing out your settings with some madesolid pet+ that I got from amazon a couple months ago for cheap. Under 15 bucks a roll. I wish I had gotten a lot more now that I see the regular prices. Anyways, how is the esun working out for you? You using the same settings as above?

Anyways, how is the esun working out for you? You using the same settings as above?

Congrats on finding an amazon deal! Settings are very similar for eSun's product. Here's what I've been doing lately:

nozzle: .6 mm

nozzle temp: 240-245 depending on color

bed temp: 75

layer height: .25

speed: 35 mm/s

retraction: 50 mm/s, 6.5 mm

filament: 2.90 mm

flow rate: 100%

• Like 1