UM2 Go For a second printer?

Posted · UM2 Go For a second printer?

I have had UM2 for over a year now and I use it mostly for printing gears and other knick-knacks from PLA/PHA for my customers. But I see the print quality slowly deteriorating over the last half an year. There seems to be nothing wrong with the printer and I get 10/10 from the UM2 speed torture test but still the print quality is not what it used to be: More banding, more underextrusion (especially with thicker layers), not as accurate dimensions, etc... So I was thinking to buy another new one as I can't be in a position when I don't have a working printer financially.

My parts are small so the UM2 Go seems like a good option. The only problem with it is the lack of the heated bed. I have never printed without heated bed. I have never had any adhesion issues while the bed is hot. My prints pop out often themselves once the bed is completely cooled. I can't see how could the prints adhere to a cold bed. Do they?

If i print wihtout heated bed on my um2, i use blue painters tape to print PLA. Or Kapton / Polyimid tape if i like to have a glossy surface..

@deepshots:UM2 speed torture test but still the print quality is not what it used to be: More banding, more underextrusion (especially with thicker layers), not as accurate dimensions, etc.

Not accurate dimensions; Ill bet you need to tighte the drive belts, especially the small ones in the back. Loose belts cause "over-moving, or "backlash", printing out of domension.

Underextrusion; material in bowden tube from extuder drive, maladjusted drive or most likely buildup of carbon in hot end.

Fix: Atomic pulls, use another colour. Do it until the it comes out perfectly clean and in shape.

easy way of making atomic is inserting a piece of bowden tube maybe 10cm long into the head, then feed the atomic pull-filament through it. you can also use a tube 6mm outer dia, 3mm+ inner dia.

• Like 1

Personnaly i had a big improvement in quality when i changed my heater block + teflon spacer after a while and abrasive materials it was in a bad state and had a clear impact on quality.

For the Go it's a very nice printer, if you don't need the bigger print volume of the UM2 and print only in PLA then it's a good choice.

The print quality of the Ultimaker 2Go is excellent.

Because it is build using the same mechanics as the Ultimaker 2, but it is a bit smaller, it makes for a very rigid machine.

If you print small PLA parts I can see a good match, but be aware that due to the tape the bottom surface will not be as glossy as prints from a glass plate.

The Ultimaker 2Go also comes with a special travel container which you can see here

I have tried it before, it works pretty good in my personal opinion.

It can be a good alternative for the blue tape.

Are there plans in the works for the addition of a heated build plate, or is this definitely not going to happen for the GO model?

thanks,

Chris

Are there plans in the works for the addition of a heated build plate,  or is this definitely not going to happen for the GO model?

thanks,

Chris

I was told it's not going to happen. But i'm sure someone will sell a kit at some point.

The PSU is scaled down so there is hardly power for a heated plate as well.

Posted (edited) · UM2 Go For a second printer?

But the main thing is that the board is the same. The psu can easily be replaced... will make a kit a bit more expensive. .

Edited by Guest

yea, they are expensive.. and I worry about guarantee if a non original PSU collapses and crashes the PCB.hmm..

The UM2 ahs a 220W PSU. The 2Go has 120

I would like to integrate a psu into the bottom of the printer. We have 24v ones at work that would fit but not sure what they output.

But the main thing is that the board is the same. The psu can easily be replaced... will make a kit a bit more expensive. .

I'm in a similar situation to what the OP described, where I may need a second printer soon, and all the parts I'll be making with it will be small. The reduced footprint and price of a Go model would be nice if it were as functional as its big brothers. Even if the price of adding those extra parts makes it $175 more expensive than the current Go listing, I'd buy it.

I already have extra parts for my UM2 just in case anything fails, so it would be nice to have that stash of extra parts covering 2 printers.

The lulzbot mini has everything except the ability to stand alone. So neither one of these two mini machines has everything I want. However maybe adding a Mattercontrol Touchpad to the mini could resolve its weak area.

yea, they are expensive.. and I worry about guarantee if a non original PSU collapses and crashes the PCB.hmm..

The UM2 ahs a 220W PSU. The 2Go has 120

Yeah, that's quite a difference.

Posted (edited) · UM2 Go For a second printer?

Why not just contact support and ask a price for a GO with the um2 psu ? they may ask a steep price but you'll have a safe psu...

Edited by Guest

Why not just contact support and ask a price for a GO with the um2 psu ? they may ask a steep price but you'll have a safe psu...

Not a bad idea. Then I'd still need to cobble together a build plate warmer to fit the Go plate, unless they can provide that too. I'll ask

The PSU Ultimaker uses on UM2 are easy to buy outside, for my UMO+ (same board) I use a 280W from Mean Well with no problems at all. For a UM2GO with 160W should be enough to power a heated bed of 40W. UM2 uses the model GS220A20-R7B but with the R7B connector you can find also other watts like the model GS160A24-R7B and it's easy to buy one from mouser. I got mine from mouser and they delivered en 3 days and they paid the import taxes.

The PSU Ultimaker uses on UM2 are easy to buy outside, for my UMO+ (same board) I use a 280W from Mean Well with no problems at all. For a UM2GO with 160W should be enough to power a heated bed of 40W. UM2 uses the model GS220A20-R7B but with the R7B connector you can find also other watts like the model GS160A24-R7B and it's easy to buy one from mouser. I got mine from mouser and they delivered en 3 days and they paid the import taxes.

Thats probably a better idea, and will most likely be a bit more compact...