Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
FLG

What is the shadow around objects in Cura??

I am just reading up on things before my UM2 arrives tomorrow.

One thing I can't find in the documentation for Cura is the shadow that sits around objects in the bed. I guess it's some type of no go area for other parts or something but can someone explain what it is, why it is there, and if there are any options to manage this mystery shadow . . .

Thanks to anyone taking the time to help me along here :)

5a330db1600d8_Curascreen.thumb.jpg.1b7cbb04f683fab99968f635adf79570.jpg

5a330db1600d8_Curascreen.thumb.jpg.1b7cbb04f683fab99968f635adf79570.jpg

Hi and welcome to the community

If i'm not wrong the shadow represents the size of the head (with the fans included) and is showed when you print one at the time.

This will prevent the head from crashing into printed objects.

Assuming Cura will let you print objects at once, this depends on the height of the print, if it's taller than the gantry height (height of the rods) then Cura will prevent this automatically, or the rods will crash in the print

• Like 1

If you load 2 files or multiply the object you will see that you can't overlap these shadowed areas. The shadow is big if you print one at a time, but if you choose print all at once then you will see the shadow goes small. this allows you to put the objects close together.

Now I have the printer and it is up and running I can see the difference on the build platform between printing "one at a time" and printing "all together".

I am printing the Cable Chain right now and have chosen the print "all together" option which has stacked them much closer together. The light is on and getting brighter LOL.